Ultra Racing lower stiffening bars

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
While doing some maintenance on our CX-5, I noticed rust on the Ultra Racing stiffeners I had installed on the underbody. At first I thought it was just on the surface lifting the paint off, but closer inspection showed the bars were rusted through. The rear was the worst as you can see, I removed it:

50983849216_7c84d74bc6_c.jpg

50983144633_2379b14d9c_c.jpg

The front one wasn't as bad but I will be removing it as well. I had these installed for four or five years (don't have access to my work log at present), I wouldn't have thought they would fail so quickly but the steel used is very thin walled.

I'm posting this so anyone considering getting some of these can go into the purchase with no illusions.

I have UR bars (4 separate underbody bars and the strut bar), mine are not rusted at all, except for a bit of surface rusts in area they hit something. Mine are upwards of 7 years old, Texas here. Maybe you got some fake parts (UR is specific about this) or just salt damage, or just poor quality batch

Where I live we don't get that much snow, so not much salt. The liquid they put down these days ahead of snow is what can do it, however I would not have expected such extreme wastage. I can't speak to any fakes, there was a serial number on the nametag but of course that can be faked. As I recall I bought them from UR off eBay. In any case, folks can make their own decision.

Do you have the center brace that crosses the driveshaft tunnel? I will buy it.

I only had the front four point brace and the rear brace that mounts behind the diff. That's the one I yanked off, the front one will be removed shortly. I'll just have to deal with some sloppiness. :cool:

Do you have the center brace that crosses the driveshaft tunnel? I will buy it.

While doing some maintenance on our CX-5, I noticed rust on the Ultra Racing stiffeners I had installed on the underbody. At first I thought it was just on the surface lifting the paint off, but closer inspection showed the bars were rusted through. The rear was the worst as you can see, I removed it:

50983849216_7c84d74bc6_c.jpg

50983144633_2379b14d9c_c.jpg

The front one wasn't as bad but I will be removing it as well. I had these installed for four or five years (don't have access to my work log at present), I wouldn't have thought they would fail so quickly but the steel used is very thin walled.

I'm posting this so anyone considering getting some of these can go into the purchase with no illusions.
I recommend the BEATRUSH front and back set,
I installed them more than 4 years ago and they are as good as the first day.

Pictures instagram: @maydaymotorsport

Regards!

Helder

Nothing wrong with UR, they are pretty known in the car community for bars (they specialize in bars). I would not pay the price AE asks for those strut bars, especially with the Japan shipping.. Just buying the tie rod ends from AE was pretty expensive. I had to buy their endlinks twice too (weak threads).

Back