Turbo upgraded question

PLAYBOYSITE.

:
Mazdaspeed protege
I am trying to get 320 hp to wheel out of my msp was wondering if I would be able to use garret gt28r with my 3 inch turbo back exhaust made by ghl. IF not should I just get gt28rs the cost is more.

Yeah, you will have to buy a built motor first to do it safely. Along with an EMS to boot.

you'll never make it past 300 without the following;

- lower compression forged pistons
- forged connecting rods
- standalone engine managment
- larger injectors and higher flow fuel pump

once you have all that, thats when its time to talk about larger turbos and turbo back exhausts.

Hey Cap, what's the stock FSDE compression ratio?

*edit 9.1:1 (RTM)

Last edited:
Tryin not to thread jack, but whats a decent standalone for someone in the market?

Not really a jack - It's relavent to the thread. There are many good ones out there, with the front-runners probably being Haltech and Microtech. I've got a Microtech LT-10s.

microtech really is the way to, steve at NSN has done much to make it the be-all end-all option for the protege tuners

I was thinking of going with map ecu 2 and perrin fuel rail with 550 injector 255 fuel pump and fuel pressure reg and now gt28rs.

well......

you're definitely not going to get near 320whp with the stock block. We've got rods the size of toothpicks.

who was the guy, i think his name was Nick (if he's still around) i heard he can cram the guts of a gt28 into the the stock MSP 25..someone correct me if i'm wrong....

jmv said:
well......

you're definitely not going to get near 320whp with the stock block. We've got rods the size of toothpicks.

^^what he said.. The rods in these cars cant even hold the factory rating much less anymore..

mryellermp5 said:
who was the guy, i think his name was Nick (if he's still around) i heard he can cram the guts of a gt28 into the the stock MSP 25..someone correct me if i'm wrong....

mpnick

at least the compressor wheel of the gt28

Kansei said:
mpnick

at least the compressor wheel of the gt28
It depends upon which stage you want. Stage 1, Stage 2 etc.
Stage I is Compressor side machined and upgraded wheel.
Stage II is Compressor side and exhaust side machined and upgraded wheels.
Both Stage I & II include the manifold and s-pipe porting.

It has been a long time but there was a dyno chart on here somewhere and I "think" it was a stage 1 making 300-315 WHP at 15PSI.
Believe me there was a big bru-ha-ha about all this a couple years back.

Ok, this is from a former MSP owner who was a Mazda tech. He made over 300 1/4 mile passes on his stock MSP block before he blew it up.
From BlckZoomZoom: "I made around 260-270whp on the stock set-up and around 310-320 on the Stage1 MpNicks turbo."

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123615830&page=4&highlight=stage+Nick

Last edited:
yeah i've been reading that thread @14 pages ..it's pretty interesting...
yashooa said:
It depends upon which stage you want. Stage 1, Stage 2 etc.
Stage I is Compressor side machined and upgraded wheel.
Stage II is Compressor side and exhaust side machined and upgraded wheels.
Both Stage I & II include the manifold and s-pipe porting.

It has been a long time but there was a dyno chart on here somewhere and I "think" it was a stage 1 making 300-315 WHP at 15PSI.
Believe me there was a big bru-ha-ha about all this a couple years back.

Ok, this is from a former MSP owner who was a Mazda tech. He made over 300 1/4 mile passes on his stock MSP block before he blew it up.
From BlckZoomZoom: "I made around 260-270whp on the stock set-up and around 310-320 on the Stage1 MpNicks turbo."

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123615830&page=4&highlight=stage+Nick

Back