** Turbo questions **

People desire the part because they feel it will give them extra power.

Some of the power is delivered by the intake manifold, so just putting this on will not be an "Experience" by itself..

You guys are thinking this is some sort of holy grail of awesomeness, it's no big deal.

To answer the last post, Sure Standalone FTW, however, people are normally not interested in the cost of the unit and then the large cost of dyno time to get it tuned.

damn...as far as the ecu goes, i don't know what direction I should go...any suggestions?

with the MSP ECU, that should be all you need. with the ES ECU, you'll need some sort of other fueling option to assist

with the MSP ECU, that should be all you need. with the ES ECU, you'll need some sort of other fueling option to assist

I have an '02 ES and the stock msp turbo kit...I guess I want it to be as easy to tune as possible...7psi is enuf for me...something that can control fuel and timing i guess.

There are a couple of piggybacks that can help with that and won't cost you an arm...I'm not very familiar with them all but 500-750$ sounds about right for a piggyback that controls both those things...

yeah, the mp3 ecu is worth way more...and it is very rare...so you can basically charge anything you want to...but i think he is getting the f10x with his kit anyways..so no need for the msp ecu...it will actually make him do more tuning with the msp ecu...as the base map on the f10x would not work well with the msp ecu.

What do I do here ??
Im trying to learn about what parts I need.. And Im getting two answers
** Im not trying to make anyone mad, and not saying who is right or wrong.

Last edited:
if you bought the full hiboost kit, with the f10x, then you need to trade your ecu with a es, as that is the ecu hiboost programs their f10x map for...talk to hiboost man...thay will tell you exactly what to do.

So I guess the best thing for me to do would be to purchase a msp ecu (I have an 'ES) for the turbo kit...i hope.

that should work as long as you have a kit basically similar to a msp kit...and it is a great way to start if you didnt order a kit with the ems included...the only downside to the msp ecu is that you can not tune it at all.

that should work as long as you have a kit basically similar to a msp kit...and it is a great way to start if you didnt order a kit with the ems included...the only downside to the msp ecu is that you can not tune it at all.

that's the kit I have, the stock callaway msp turbo kit...what exactly would I have to tune if I wanted it at the stock boost levels?

if you just want to run it at stock levels, just get the msp ecu and be done with it.

but if i wanted to crank up the boost to say, 9-10psi, all I would need is a boost controller, right?

Well, hopefully (if it's still in my budget) I'm gonna get that forged package from ProtegeGarage before I go turbo, so I should be ok with about 9psi (hopefully).

CantCMe -- you want a msp ecu, then if you want more power/smoother ride/tuning options/ability to add more boost... then get a piggyback along with the MSP ecu.

a few piggybacks off the top of my head:
AFC -- only controls fuel, no timing. cheap and good for moderate mods/boost levels.
UNICHIP -- arguably the best piggyback for our car, but you will not be able to tune it yourself. bleh. it controls fuel and timing.
MPI -- i don't know this product extremely well but after reading up a little this honestly seems like the best option. Cheaper than unichip, controls fuel and timing, tunable by you, able to trade maps with other people, + extra injector option if you wanna get crazy.

CantCMe -- you want a msp ecu, then if you want more power/smoother ride/tuning options/ability to add more boost... then get a piggyback along with the MSP ecu.

a few piggybacks off the top of my head:
AFC -- only controls fuel, no timing. cheap and good for moderate mods/boost levels.
UNICHIP -- arguably the best piggyback for our car, but you will not be able to tune it yourself. bleh. it controls fuel and timing.
MPI -- i don't know this product extremely well but after reading up a little this honestly seems like the best option. Cheaper than unichip, controls fuel and timing, tunable by you, able to trade maps with other people, + extra injector option if you wanna get crazy.

Now that sounds like a winner (MPI)...not trying to pay someone crazy dollars to tune my car.

The unichip system won't work on the MP3.. I dont know what Im going to do..
**Update**
turbo kit ordered Aug. 16 + $ 4ks = still wondering what I paid for......

I agree with everyone, You need forged internals if you plan on dogging the motor. I have the Big boost set up in mine and I run 12 psi Daily driver for the past 6 months with stock internals and the car Runs fine no problems. It just depends on how you drive the car. If you always take off from a dead stop everytime then expect on breaking something. I'll have some pics of the car today on my cardomain so check it out when you get time. Hope this helps out with your question.

Back