** Turbo questions **

jaredbzoom

:
2001 Mazda MP3
Im planning on boosting my MP3 with the HIBoost kit..
** What I need is any info/advice that can help me out with the install..
Such as any problems, difficult wrenching, and problemmatic wiring, and what really comes with the kit...

I've been told a few diffrent things about whats included in the kit.
1. HIBoost website says " everythings included for a bolt on installation.
2. I was told by someone else, I will need boost controler and gauges, and vac. lines.
3. someone else said i dont need the boost cont. and gauges to run the kit on my car.

So please tell me what you think......
thanks..:):

Everything stated above is correct, because from what I know, it includes everything, but you don't NEED gauges for it to work, it's just HIGHLY recommended so you know what's going on with your engine...

yea u need forged pistons and rods too cause u dont want to blow apart your engine...i didnt know if u knew that...or u just could get a forged block.

since you have an mp3, you'll need to replace your ecu, too. too much ignition advance from the stock ecu.

yea u need forged pistons and rods too cause u dont want to blow apart your engine...i didnt know if u knew that...or u just could get a forged block.

You dont NEED foreged internals. There are plenty of people on this site that are running a turbo on stock internals with no problems. As long as you're not trying to boost insain numbers, and as long as your engine is properly tuned.

^^^ You will find out as soon as it starts to fail...

You don't need the boost controller.

You should get the Boost/Vac from Defi or Autometer as a minimum.

You should never boost over 7 Psi unless you really want a new clutch and a rebuilt engine...

I had a Clutchmasters Stage IIR and I started slipping at around 10psi.
I'm not sure what the Stage 1 is rated for??

Hiboost comes with an 8psi spring. Definately look into the risks of having the MP3 ecu with advanced timing. Many people swap for a P5 ecu which you can pick up cheap from protegegarage.com.

You should never boost over 7 Psi unless you really want a new clutch and a rebuilt engine...

What if you have a SplitSecond AFC and supporting mods and up the boost up to 9-10 psi? Of course you would obviously need a clutch for that.

Last edited:
or you could upgrade the engine management to fuel and ignition...instead of the fuel only control that comes with the hiboost kit...it is an optional upgrade from hiboost.

ECU... No one has even said anything replacing the ecu????(pissed)
PLease tell me more....

The MP3 ECU has advanced timing. You can swap it with a normal Protege ECU that doesn't have the advanced timing.

I would be willing to swap you my ECU plus some cash for your MP3 ECU since I don't plan on getting a turbo. PM me if you are interested.

The stage 1 clutch should be able to EASILY handle 6-7lbs of boost as you will only be running under 200ft-lbs of torque...

hell the stock clutch holds up fine to decent numbers.

As far as the hiboost goes... it's a VERY good idea to have a boost gauge, just in case and so you can watch over things. Replacing all your vac lines with silicon ones is always a good idea though not necessary (i have yet to do that :(). I should think that a boost controller is unnecessary as i believe the boost should be controlled by a integrated wastegate actuator on the turbo (just like us MSP's). If you wanted more than the 7psi or whatever it is, then yes a BC is required. EMS is a great idea, i would at least get AFC, you'll fall in love with the car all over again.

Back