Turbo Options

Alright Guys,

Looking for some input on possible turbo set-up options for my car. Yes, I'm trying to sell it right now, and may be close to doing so, but I'm not considering anything a "for sure" until I see some action. So on to the story:

There are two people of the forum right now selling nice Manifolds. One is a HiBoost T3 discharge Manifold, the other is a HiBoost Manifold for IHI Turbos w/ the "Triangle" discharge, and comes with the nifty "crossover intake pipe" (see JamesK's set-up).

Variables-
Turbo Costs: --IHI turbos (see Subaru) are god damn cheap, and plentiful. BUT with the exception of the VF22, these turbos are only slightly bigger than our stocker, and like our stocker, run out of steam up top.

--T3 / T04e turbos are also pretty cheap, can support an ass-ton of power, but spool a bit late (could be a good thing..)

Exhaust: -- Both set-ups will require a new downpipe. But Hi-Boost MADE one for their T3 kit, so I could find one of those....maybe. Not sure what a custom piece would run.

Location: Does the T3 Hiboost manifold require that you move anything (power steering line, t-stat housing) ? Does the IHI Setup require anything moved ?

Intake: The IHI setup will have the intake pipe go up and over the valve cover, and hopefully the filter won't interfere with why intercooler cold pipe.

I'll need some basics: New water & oil lines, gaskets. Just thinking out loud.

This is tempting: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
looks like its a cast mani, and a good price. immediately makes me wonder if its made of pewter, tin, or some other s*** metal. the listing doesnt even say what its "made" of. what turbo does it support?

steedspeed still makes manis for the T3 flange but i know what you think about them. speedcircuit has a nice setup for it, here. its also pretapped for an EWG setup.

personally id go the t3/t4 50 trim route. i was always expecting to go disco tater but the EWG and wider availability is making me reconsider. yeah redoing the mani and DP sucks but i think even after that youre still getting away for about the same as a disco potato.

hey other t3/t4 guys, what do you do for downpipes? custom?

Not sure on the material. You would run various IHI turbos with that flange.

If I did a T3 set-up, I'm concerned that with the compressor outlet facing down toward the block, I'd have to rig up some goofy hot pipe to my FMIC...

Hiboost kit on SU implies that Hiboost makes a downpipe for the T3 T04E, wonder if they have any.

i doubt it, SU likes to advertise for things they dont have, and hiboost went under around christmas time. the last prefab FMIC that was available which i had any interest in.

[edit: can you clock a t3?]

I bought it as a kit that came with its own down pipe but i know its the same turbo as on mazdaspeed so the downpipe will bolt up.Yes i ran the turbokit for 10k miles

hey other t3/t4 guys, what do you do for downpipes? custom?

I'm using a custom 3" v-band downpipe that was designed by MAM for my Thumper kit, which is using a Turbonetics T3/T4 ceramic bearing turbo.

If I did a T3 set-up, I'm concerned that with the compressor outlet facing down toward the block, I'd have to rig up some goofy hot pipe to my FMIC...

Just clock it to where you need it.

Thanks guys. CrazyCracker: You using an external wastegate ?

Right on. With my luck, I'll wait to see if this guy buys my car, he'll bail, then the deals on these manis will be gone. Haha, hope not. He seems serious, hopefully things go through.

I have my old Hiboost mani and dp with locked up vf-22 if your interested. I can take a quick pic. By the way this turbo is a drastic upgrade in power from the gt25. I had near as much power up top at 22psi as my gt30 at 19psi. The exhaust side of this turbo is much more free flowing than the t25 5bolt.

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

Back