Turbo Boosted At Last!!!

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
Well, after two days and 800 dollars in labor, my yellow joy machine rolled out of the shop with a near 7 psi turbo setup and stainless steel Racing Beat catback exhaust to complement it. I promise to get pictures soon, but until I do I can only say this.

Wow.

I mean, the sheer increase in performance is just awesome. If the MSP has quite the same get up and go then you guys who put a deposit down should be smiling. I know I am. The shop owner said the kit was pretty close in quality to a GReddy Civic kit (his apparent fave kit), and that for his first Protege turbo the installation was a breeze. One or two calls to Corky about the pressure regulator and fuel pump were about the only problems. He took a few publicity shots for the website and for his promo materials - fine by me.

Getting on the freeway and opening up the throttle in 2nd gear was unreal. The boost was very smooth, gradual, but gave a "back to seat" feel at the same time. Keeping it in fifth gear gave me third gear like acceleration. Torque steer was readily avoidable in first gear as long as I didn't mash the accelerator from a standing stop.

The real litmus test came against my best friend's black mica Protege5. Even with my A/C on there was no way for him to keep up in any gear! I felt a little bad doing that to him, but my "apology" to him came in the form of a fun filled turbocharged test drive. I think he supressed a panic attack when he saw the speedo in 3rd gear. :)

Oh yes, and its homecoming weekend here in Gurnee so every high schooler hondaboy was out on the street. Late model Thunderbird SC; smoked. Cadillac Eldorado; smoked. Chevy Beretta GT; smoked. late 80s Mustang LX; smoked. I really think I'm going to enjoy the debt I'm in.

Like I said, I'll post pics soon. The only downside to the whole enchilada is my poor wheel. I had the shop go and paint the calipers yellow for me, and somehow, as I discovered tonight when I got home, they took a good chunk out of the alloy. Deep cut. I'm hoping to call and work something out with the guy tommorow morning.

yes, hurry with the pics!
oh and you better upgrade your brakes if you're planning to do more testing of your turbo! and get a turbo-timer to save your turbo!

Great post...congrats!

I would like to see more Honda's on your "smoked" list...ideally at the track of course.

Antoine said:
Great post...congrats!

I would like to see more Honda's on your "smoked" list...ideally at the track of course.

I can't wait to get my list!:D Congratulations on being broke and boosted! I am broke, and soon to be boosted (within a week hopefully!)!

how much did the upgrade cost you??? the total cost with and without labor cost??? want some figures to look forward to in the future, also what kit did u get and where did you purchase it?

Hey MazdaRX7Power

Here is the complete list;
* BEGI Turbo Kit = $2950
* Racing Beat Exhaust = $450

* Labor for Turbo = $750
* Labor for Exhaust = $50

The BEGI kit, now sold by Flyin Miata will probably be more expensive, along the lines of $3500 I would imagine.

I see there is quite the demand for pictures :) Looks like I am going to Walgreens today.

Here is a pic of the installed kit. I would have gotten the boost gauge and exhaust but my camera ran out of film.

iIi r00x0r ;)

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 783
I feel like I'm being left behind here man. Seems like everyone is getting boost now. I've gotta find a way to get on the band wagon.:(

Back