Tuning and Warrenty

you dont ever get your car towed, you just fail inspection, then you get tickets for driving it with a failed inspection outside of the allotted time they give you after the inspection. unless you drive a car that's just blowing out herpes, terrorists, or a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust, or can be heard within a radius of 2 miles, no one is gonna bother you

if a chevy impala or Ford police intercepter can cetch your mazdaspeed, you deserve the tow ;) I had cars bellowing smoke into my car thru the A/C when I was in texas and they didn't get towed. If you voluntarly pop the hood then thats on you. Mazdaspeed intake isn't CARB(Street legal) Most intakes aren't cause of the costs to get each application CARB stamped. I heard of everything up to evo owners getting tickets for their factory wings but only case I heard was in NY with a dodge neon and a Iceman intake where he voluntarly poped the hood for the cop.

Actually, I had a '78 impalla from a police auction (my first car.. it cost me $250US). That Chevy V8 350 pulls pretty frickin hard. I don't know. I used to tell people to grab something out of the back seat, and when they would unstrap to and lean over the bench seat, I would floor it and dump them into the back seat. I could lift the front wheels off the line. I have been trying to get BACK to that feeling for years. Don't knock US Muscle unless you have driven one. They go REALLY fast in a straight line.

Down side of Muscle cars is that you end up with about 8miles to the gallon...

See Black Panther in sig below ;) I actualy get better MPG than the 6i. Both cars have been modded and had warenty stuff done. Depends on dealer and what you modded. When I reflash the pcm on the other car it just looks like I pulled the negative cable.

FX-MAN said:
Actually, I had a '78 impalla from a police auction. I could lift the front wheels off the line.

What did you have, 20 manhole covers in the truck or a lot of LSD? (hah)

lol... no... I had a supercharged DC police spec V8 350 (350ci 5.7 litre) small block Chevy engine (thumb) the same engine you would find in Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros back then, a '78 man, we are talking REAL classic muscle (I would think you would understand, being a "ford man"). W/O a supercharger the 8.5:1 compression 78 Chevy V8 would put out 350bhp. We had no dyno back then to test this thing on, but the closest thing I have felt to that pull I would have to say is my friends tuned to 400hp STi, when you consider weight/hp I would guess that my impala was putting at least 400hp to the road.

In highschool, I beat a brand new '91 turbo camaro by about 5 car lengths on our 1/4 mile stretch. I have never owned a car since that comes close to it in a straight line.

My point was... that police cars are made to catch just about anything, so think twice before you go thinking you can outrun one in your speed6. Those of us who live in Vancouver BC can (or could?) go race them at boundary bay to see how fast these guys are.

Since that 78 impalla was my first car, and I paid almost nothing for it, I didn't even appreciate how nice it was. My neighbor had a superbee he built from the ground up that could take me pretty easily, but he was never able to get his to be street legal. so other than that... nope...

I am getting all nostalgic thinking about that car. It stopped going in reverse when I was a Sr. in highschool.. then I jumped it on this road where you could catch serious air, and on the landing lost the front bumper and the exhaust (impalla not so good for jumping). I got hit by a backhoe backing out of a construction site (where we used to go to do donuts, and mess around.. my buddy rolled his car there once). The backhoe nearly ripped off the rear bumper. I spray painted the car for fun one afternoon... My best friend put balogna on it in the winter (which eats away the paint), so when that car finally died on me (it needed a new tranny, which would have cost more than the accord I ended up buying) it had polkadots on camo spray paint, no front bumper, a loose rear bumper, and an exhaust held on by coat hangers. It was a great engine though, and nicknamed "Mad Max" by my school friends, since it looked like something from that movie ;)

Trying to get that kind of power back, was why I got into tuning my cars.

LOL... and come to think of it I DID have cinderblocks in the trunk to get some extra weight on the rear tires to keep them from spinning (I couldn't afford good tires) ;)

Anyway the speed6 is much better if you have to turn...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, that's '05 numbers. The 3.9 litre V6 in the new impala is in no way a match for the V8 in the old ones.... (and I assumed it was a joke :p ) .

Even the American muscle cars of today (like the new Hemi Charger) don't come close to what an old 480hp Dodge Superbee Hemi Charger could do.

Last edited:
FX-MAN said:
Back on topic. Has anyone done a custom exhaust on a speed6 yet?

I am hoping to price a custom exhaust in the next few weeks.

R

Awesome. I have a shop willing to do a custom Magnaflow setup for me, but I am not sure I want a Magnaflow exhaust and with the small problems I have had pop up with the car over the last little while, I would like to keep my warrenty. Which means custom might not be an option. I need to find something Mazda would be willing to install. (which probably rules out Turbo Back as well).

Have you seen the exhaust yet? It's pretty much a straight shot to the back. I don't see anybody coming out with anything than a cat-back as the cat is shoved up right off the turbo. A new y-pipe and some mufflers will probably make it sound pretty good though.

black out the fake tips and have real ones

Yeah, I think those fake tips are the driving force for a lot of people who want exhaust, they wouldn't be so bad if the real tips were sitting farther back like they do on the RX-8 so you can't see them right away.

I really want to open up the throttle response though, I don't care too much about power gains (although it's always nice to see some). Looks like AEM intake is out any day now according to a guy who sells AEM parts on another board, and someone has put a modden 6s Injen intake in their MS6 http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=45412. I want to see if Mazda will install the AEM for me (the CAI puts the filter right where the current resonator is, so it shouldn't even significantly raise the risk of getting Hydrolock).

Then I guess just wait on a real exhaust with dyno numbers.

Last edited:
Back