Trunk randomly unlocking/unlatching?

I have a 2013 Mazda3 Hatchback and recently I've been having a ton of issues with the hatch randomly unlocking itself all the time. It will unlatch itself occasionally while the car is on or driving but the issue seems to mostly be when the car is turned off. Without fail the second I turn the car off, the trunk unlatches and keeps unlatching itself constantly. It gets very annoying because I can't lock the car unless the hatch is completely shut so I have to shut the hatch and lock it quickly before it automatically unlatches itself again. The issue only seems to happen when I'm close to the car with the keys, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the keys because even when I take the battery out of the keys, the trunk still relentlessly unlatches itself. Also the button on the hatch itself seems to no longer work and I'm forced to open my trunk with the keys which is mildly annoying. I have a feeling the two issues may be related in some way. Has anyone else experienced issues like this?

I have a 2013 Mazda3 Hatchback and recently I've been having a ton of issues with the hatch randomly unlocking itself all the time. It will unlatch itself occasionally while the car is on or driving but the issue seems to mostly be when the car is turned off. Without fail the second I turn the car off, the trunk unlatches and keeps unlatching itself constantly. It gets very annoying because I can't lock the car unless the hatch is completely shut so I have to shut the hatch and lock it quickly before it automatically unlatches itself again. The issue only seems to happen when I'm close to the car with the keys, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the keys because even when I take the battery out of the keys, the trunk still relentlessly unlatches itself. Also the button on the hatch itself seems to no longer work and I'm forced to open my trunk with the keys which is mildly annoying. I have a feeling the two issues may be related in some way. Has anyone else experienced issues like this?
You may have a short inside the lock. Take it out and clean it ( with petrol or cleaner) then check contacts ok. If still problem, replace lock. Check utube videos for any mazda lock.

Upvote 0
I don't see how the lock has anything to do with it. It would have to be always energized to have a short issue. If this is the case with modern locks, we are doomed.

I'm sure it's going to be in the switches somewhere. One of the switches is shorting which is then cycling power to the lock.

Now maybe the switches talk to a computer first and the computer sends a lock/unlock signal to the lock.

Upvote 0
Back