Tried to order a CX-5 today

Because car dealers have deep pockets that they use to give bribes, er I mean "campaign contributions" to politicians so they can keep their state sponsored monopolies.

Car buying is one of the many instances in America where there absolutely is not capitalist free market. Hence, the stealerships can charge whatever they want with impunity, because they are politically protected.
Precisely!! It's disgusting to say the least

In the case of my dealer this disclaimer is listed on the web site: "$849.00 Dealer Administrative Charge included in advertised price." So if they advertise they won't add anything on. In my case I was negotiating over the phone so this would not be considered "advertised".

I hate admin fees as much as the next guy, but I think of it differently. You go to Kroger and cross shop against Albertsons. They both probably pay about the same for the box of cereal from Kelloggs - there is no MSRP that they list it for, they just sell it according to market conditions or to get the sales volume they want. Dealers also pay the same as each other for a car. So, when a dealer adds marker adjustment, or whatever else they want to call it, I just compare net vs net when shopping 2 dealers. Pretend there is no MSRP, and dealers just charge what they want/can in a given market, and I shop accordingly.

Back