Treadwear question

Kurt07

Contributor
:
2007 MS3
Over the weekend I was looking at my summer tire setup because I was getting ready to prep the wheels for paint. I noticed that three of my tires have 75% of the tread left and one is down to the wear bars. These tires all went on at the same time. The tire that is down to the wear bar is off the passenger side front. The wear on all four tires is even. What would cause one tire to wear out so quickly?

In case it matters, the tires are Sumitomo HTR Z III. I wanted to replace them, but not this soon.

have you rotated tires? even though there is an lsd, one tire still drives more than the other at times. Also you could be making a lot of right turns. a lot more than lefts. also, and the most simple possibility is an under inflated tire. thats about all i can think of right now

Bad toe wears tires faster than anything. Have you hit anything (curb) with that wheel, or checked the alignment lately?

have you rotated tires? even though there is an lsd, one tire still drives more than the other at times. Also you could be making a lot of right turns. a lot more than lefts. also, and the most simple possibility is an under inflated tire. thats about all i can think of right now

I am anal about tire pressure. As for making more left or right turns, I have no clue. I could be a little bit better about tire rotation. They were going to be rotated when I put them back on the car. They were only on there for a little bit over 11,000 miles.

Bad toe wears tires faster than anything. Have you hit anything (curb) with that wheel, or checked the alignment lately?

I am taking it in for the car's second alignment. PA roads suck, so that may be a good reason.

You should rotate at 5,000 or less. It is normal for most people to turn left harder (in a left drive car anyway) than right because you are normally more confident due to better vision in that direction.

+1 for rotating every 5k miles, especially on a front wheel drive car with a lot of torque. 11k miles is way too long to wait, you should definitely check your alignment too. Kind of strange how just 1 tire in front is that bad. If your toe is out you could burn up tread real fast...but that doesn't explain just 1 tire. If the toe is out of adjustment both tires should be worn out... (dunno)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

I know about the every 5000 mile rule and I kick myself in the ass for not following it.

Back