Trailer Lights Not Working

casqui45

:
Mazda CX-9
This is my first post. I have a 2007 CX-9. We purchased it new with the towing package and the wiring for the trailer lights came with it. About 4 months ago, the trailer lights stopped working. I used a tester on the Mazda's wiring harness and am not getting power. Is their a fuse for it? If so, where is it? I checked the fuses under the hood and in the glove box and don't see anything marked for the towing lights.

Thanks

You need to trace the wirings to see where they connect to.
Newer models of AWD are pre-wired from factory.
Older ones like yours were not. They could be wired in many ways.

Trace your wires. Either your power wire got too hot and burned through or a connection came loose. If u check continuity in ohms u can figure out where ur bad spot is with a little simple math.

Was ur ground good?

The ground looks fine, but I haven't traced the wires from the hitch location. I'm going to try that today. Thanks

I thought I remembered seeing a post on here awhile back and someone posted a pic of the plug-in location for 07/08 ish models, and I think it was under the spare tire area somewhere. Perhaps the connector got "unplugged."

Did you ever find an answer to this? My lights just stopped working and I'm sure it's the fuse...but my hitch wiring goes into the main wiring harness and I don't know which fuse it's connected too! Anyone know which fuse it shares with??

bump.
My trailer lights just stopped working too all at once, with 2008 factory hitch. Wondering if there is a fuse anywhere. I see a weird balast looking thing under the hitch mount. I wonder what that is and if it burned out.

I had this happen to me and I was able to figure it out last week. There is a fuse in the panel under the hood on the driver side that controls the trailer wiring and the rear cargo area 12v socket. I believe the fuse is 15A in position 20 labeled OUTLET RR or something along those lines.

Hey thanks for this info!!! I see you have a 2008 like me so I have my hopes up that this will fix my problem. I had found a PDF for 2009 and later CX-9's that shows a dedicated 15A fuse in the glove box for trailer lights. I have the slot on my 2008 but it is empty, so I was wondering where the fuse would be for my 2008. I will check this out tonight. If it fixes the problem this board has payed for itself!

Yup, that was the problem. I think I backed my trailer into the water and the waterproof taillights leaked a bit and shorted out the fuse. Thanks Kenundrum!
Finding out which fuse on my 2008 is connected to the trailer hitch harness was the key to fixing my broken circuit.

Back