2017~2024 Toyota Mechanic reviews CX-5

@yrwei52 - Thanks for posting that. Do you know if currently-manufactured 2023 CX-5 has seals that allow oil consumption? Please advise. Many thanks.
See the other thread you created. IMO, the valve stem seal problem on the 2.5T (not the 2.5L NA, fixed in my post) was a bad batch of the seal somehow Mazda changed the design or vender. They’re fine before the change, and it’s easy to fix the issue as the original seal has no such problem. And Mazda has said the good seals have been used on newer production for a while according to the TSB.

Reactions: BTR
I just watched the last half of this and this review goes a bit off the rails about the Ford/Mazda relationship. Mazda was in bad shape when Ford bought it and probably saved the company. The idea that Ford "ruined" Mazda is laughable. Ford kind of left them alone and actually left Mazda in charge of small car development for a long time, and rebadged small Mazda's as Fords.

He also is clearly ignorant of the current 2.5T issues, as he talks about the reliably improving after Ford divested its Mazda shares.

Exactly! Lots of Bravo Sierra in that and not just about Ford. My NC1 is a product of the Mazda-Ford partnership; the dipstick is labeled FoMoCo. Its reliability is solely responsible for me owning CX-5s. Many sources say Ford saved Mazda years ago and I say Mazda kept Ford healthy with their engine designs and manufacturing.

My 2021 cx-5 ( 2.5 L) burns at least a QT of oil every 3000 and maxda is telling me that that is normal. What a dishonest company that will not back it's faulty product. Mine not a turbo, but I must be unlucky .

My 2021 cx-5 ( 2.5 L) burns at least a QT of oil every 3000 and maxda is telling me that that is normal. What a dishonest company that will not back it's faulty product. Mine not a turbo, but I must be unlucky .
Mine burns about a half quart of oil every 5,000 miles. As long as I don’t need to top off the oil between oil changes, that’d be fine with me.

If Mazda North American Operations refuses to do anything for your oil consumption issue, you can try to use thicker 5W-30 oil (also Mazda recommend oil viscosity worldwide) which should be able to reduce the oil consumption for your 2.5L NA with CD.

Most, if not all, car companies have the equivalent max oil loss limit. Just look at other car forums :(

Hoever, I would alsy check the cracked cylinder head thread, that may be your issue. You should check yours: Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Back