Too good to be true?

ssd_pr5

:
Silver Protege5
So I've been shopping around for a replacement clutch lately and the cheapest replacement OEM clutch I've found online is about $200.

I decided to give a few local shops calls about kits they carried and one shop quoted me a price of $129.95 for the OEM clutch kit w/o installation.

Does this sound about right or is something wrong here? I'm not too sure about how much these are supposed to cost but it seems like it might be too good of a deal to be true. Any input is welcomed.

i wouldn't get a clutch from some ranodm shop... i'd at least go the dealer and see how much it costs there and if you're still under warently you could complain to them and get it installed for free!... right?

awsmp5 said:
i wouldn't get a clutch from some ranodm shop... i'd at least go the dealer and see how much it costs there and if you're still under warently you could complain to them and get it installed for free!... right?

http://www.southlandclutch.com/

That's the shop I'm talking about. I don't really see why taking my car to or buying parts from anywhere other than the dealership is a problem. Honestly, I think local places are a better and safer option than online. The price is the only issue I'm concerned about. Compared to the aftermarket clutches and online vendors such as crossover auto where they sell the OEM kit for 200 shipped, this place supposedly offers the same one at a fraction of the cost.

I will take your advice though and call the dealership. But as many others know, dealerships usually charge a lot for OEM pieces.

And about the warranty/complaining-- I have about 96k miles on my stock clutch and I've had zero issues with it. I just think that it needs to be replaced sooner than later.

ya ebay has the excel oem ones for like 100.... or something like that. my freind has one went in like 3 months, but he didnt lub his bearing n his clutch kept sticking, so it didnt break in correctly.

it's a tough decision, because although clutches have a high margin, which means seeing a big price difference isn't that surprising, you don't want to get stuck with a crappy one because you wanted to save $50.

ssd_pr5 said:
http://www.southlandclutch.com/

That's the shop I'm talking about. I don't really see why taking my car to or buying parts from anywhere other than the dealership is a problem. Honestly, I think local places are a better and safer option than online. The price is the only issue I'm concerned about. Compared to the aftermarket clutches and online vendors such as crossover auto where they sell the OEM kit for 200 shipped, this place supposedly offers the same one at a fraction of the cost.

I will take your advice though and call the dealership. But as many others know, dealerships usually charge a lot for OEM pieces.

And about the warranty/complaining-- I have about 96k miles on my stock clutch and I've had zero issues with it. I just think that it needs to be replaced sooner than later.

Talk to Steve at NSN motorports. I think he is selling OEM clutches for 135. Then you know oyu're getting a true OEM one because he's a vendor on our forum.

Back