Tire upgrade options for 2022 CX-5 Signature

I've been mulling over tire choices for some time to replace the OEM Toyo's. I've run Michelin's before but found them to wear out faster than I would like. Michelin CC2's have been recommended but they too apparently wear out more quickly than several other brands. In addition, since I already run separate winter tires the added "winter" traction benefit of the CC2's would be irrelevant to me. Continental LX25's were of interest to me as they have been for many others. BUT, I then did some research on Tire Rack and discovered that the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's rated more highly in all the categories that mattered to me (Traction, Treadwear, Temperature, Quietness, Comfort), as well as having a slightly deeper tread, 12/32 vs 10/32 for the Michelins and Conti's, so I have bitten the bullet and they will be installed tomorrow. Details on their performance to follow in the coming weeks.....hopefully before the snow flies and my winters get installed.

Last edited:
I've been mulling over tire choices for some time to replace the OEM Toyo's. I've run Michelin's before but found them to wear out faster than I would like. Michelin CC2's have been recommended but they too apparently wear out more quickly than several other brands. In addition, since I already run separate winter tires the added "winter" traction benefit of the CC2's would be irrelevant to me. Continental LX25's were of interest to me as they have been for many others. BUT, I then did some research on Tire Rack and discovered that the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's rated more highly in all the categories that mattered to me (Traction, Treadwear, Temperature, Quietness, Comfort), as well as having a slightly deeper tread, 12/32 vs 10/32 for the Michelins and Conti's, so I have bitten the bullet and they will be installed tomorrow. Details on their performance to follow in the coming weeks.....hopefully before the snow flies and my winters get installed.
I have the Pirelli's installed and have been running them since the Spring. They seem to be a good tire. I am finding the road noise is creeping up on them now that I have 20k on them.

yeah pretty much with every All Season tire I tried after a while the noise will come up. Around that mark 20.000 miles. I guess once it gets some use and the first layer of the thread is gone.
Same with the factory Toyo , its not that bad as new but after 15-16k miles it gets noisy, plus it wears very fast but thats another thing.
Havent tried pure summer tires yet. But they usually dont last more than 20k anyway :)

OK...first report on my new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's: They are quieter than the Toyo's but then the Toyo's were almost down to the wear bars. The biggest difference is that they are much more responsive to turning and more comfortable (less harshness). I take my first long trip in a couple of days so will report back after that. So far....I'm delighted with my choice. Of course the one day 25% off deal I got at COSTCO on Pirelli's helped to seal the deal. My COSTCO tire guy couldn't believe that I hadn't chosen the Michelin CC2's but after I explained my rationale he said that these Pirelli's were actually a really good choice, based on my needs.

2nd update.....After a road trip yesterday I can now confidently say that these Pirelli's are performing magnificently!! In addition to what I had already experienced I am sure the rolling resistance is lower than the OEM Toyo's as my fuel economy has improved. So far, I can't think of a single downside to these tires.

Last edited:
Hello all - I am getting 2022 CX-5 Signature next week. I am thinking about upgrading the stock 225/55 R19 tires to 245/50 R19. Did any of you did this upgrade? I had a consultation with Discount Tire and they were against this idea. Their point is that the stock wheel rim has a width of 7" and that wouldn't be good enough for a 245 section tires. They suggested to change both wheels and the tires if I really need to change.

Any suggestions or opinions, anyone ?
One HUGE thing everyone misses, make sure you know the age of the tire before you buy it, Discount sites sell OLD CRAP tires, the rubber of a tire has a shelf life, when they get old they lose their grip, & wear down faster. This is the reason tennisballs come in a vacuumed sealed can.

Price them from your Mazda Dealership, they'll not try and screw you over, they want you stopping by b/c they might get you driving away in a new Mazda.

Also push it when it comes to test drives, I've taken cars for weekends & headed to a beach resort town with them. Longest I had a test drive was a week.

Something you & others might want to think of as an upgrade is getting the CX-9 20 inch tire from car-part . com (that is a worldwide search engine for all parts for all cars from all junk yards) Easier to resell a Mazda if it has Mazda parts. And I've used this site to replace seats in cars to upgrade to leather, replace dash boards, brokenhead light assemblies, etc ... all less than a 10th of the price if new. And is the ultimate recycling. Each rim should cost about 120 dollars each.

Once had a broken speedometer on my Nissan, asked a Nissan dealership they wanted over 1000 bucks, & the same from my local mechanic. So I want to my local junk yard to replace a smashed side view mirror & while I was there asked the guy about the price, he walked out, popped & looked under my hood, came back in & grabed a little plastic gear from a fishbowl of a few hundred walked back to my car & worked on it for a minute, closed my hood & came back in & said it is fixed, charge is .29 cents! ...and zero for labor. Since then I've made posts like this, pointing people to junk yards for help & parts. Not just done right, but with respect to you & your car.

And here is a big money saver for anyone that read everything down to this point, I live in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you can buy a car & turn around & pay off the loan the next day with no fees added on. If your state or surrounding states also has this, go in to the dealership & get the car you want with the 30+ month loan getting an amazing price on the car letting them think they're going to make it all back on your loan payments, & the next day just pay off the loan. I know NJ adds something they call 'points' to their loans, & no matter what they have to be paid, it is their way of stopping someone from doing this.

Reactions: rjn
Back