Tire Replacement - True "All Season" Tire Recommendations?

Our 2019 CX-9 GT stock tires are Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus. I don't have anything bad to say about the tires, except for they're terrible in the snow and ice! I've looked up online reviews with similar findings, generally a mediocre tire with really bad performances in the snow and ice.

We're in need of a true "All-Season" tire that can perform well in the summer, very well in the wet (we live in Seattle, always raining), and decently well or as good-as-can-hope-for in this type of tire in the snow/ice. At least not be dangerous in the snow. Does anyone have any recommendations for tires that you've liked on your CX-9?

I would really love a quiet tire if possible, or at least one that isn't any louder than the stock tires. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Vredestein Quatrac Pros? I’ve never used them but the reviews are great, especially for their handling in the wet (from TireRack). They are also rated for severe snow service with the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake. Like I said, I haven’t used but did seriously consider them and they sound like they would work for your circumstances.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom! I looked up the Vredestein Quatrac Pros and you're right, they're really highly regarded and rated. I had never heard of the brand. I just ordered a set of them from TireRack. I'll report back in a few weeks with my initial impressions, in hopes of helping others who may be looking to replace their CX-9 tires.

You are looking for an All-Weather tire. I have been running the Toyo Celsius for the past 3 years and have been happy with them; they are a little noisy on pavement compared to a standard all-season, but that is to be expected.

Tires_002.jpg

All-season is a geometric specification. The tire need not be tested on snow. Some are OK when fairly new, and some aren't.

All-weather is an unofficial spec for all-season tires that have actually been tested on snow to a rather weak test. From tirerack.com: "In 1999, The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tires that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tire which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow." Passing this test permits the tires to carry the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMS) symbol. Also: "3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed." Consumer Reports says the all-weather tires are good on snow but not so good on ice, or something like that.

So--look for these all-weather tires with the 3PMS symbol. Toyo Celsius, Goodyear Weatherready, Michelin Cross Climate, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, Nokian has some, other tire makers have them.

Vredestein is a Dutch tire company founded in 1909. Good reputation for a small company. It is currently owned by Apollo Tyres of India, but still producing very good tires--or tyres.

Hard to go wrong with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. It's not going to compete with a true winter/snow tire, but it's one of the best all seasons. And lots of repeat buyers.

I posted a similar thread a few months back:

I have the Goodyear Assurance Weather ready on my WIfe's 17 CRV Touring. Great all weather traction and very quiet on the highway. We get over 100" a winter and have a lot of hills around my house so we always run winter tires on all our cars.

Has anyone used Vredestein Quatrac Pro or the Michelin Defender LTX M/S? I am Leaning toward the Vredestein but would like to hear anyones views on either of these tires.

I put the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my car about 6 months ago. Very happy. This is one of the most highly-rated SUV tires out there. And lots of repeat buyers. These are known for wearing very well. These are also one of the most expensive options. It may not make sense if you're not going to keep the car. However, if you're keeping it for a while, I'd spend a few extra bucks.

I lived in The Netherlands for about 10 years. Vredestein was a popular 'value' brand.

Last edited:
I always send people to Nokian. They make awesome winter tires, and the all weather tires are pretty good too.
+ 1 on Nokian...
Also the Vredesteins got solid ratings on consumer reports... if wasn't running Nokian, might try the vred. The mich cross-climate also always end up highly rated.

Following-up here to update you all on my tire situation on the CX-9 (2019 Grand Touring on 20" wheels). The stock Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus lasted about 28K miles and I needed a set of all-season tires that would do decently well in the snow, but was looking to retain good driving characteristics (turn-in feel, not too soft, quiet on the highway).

I bought Vredestein Quatrac Pro's and was extremely dissatisfied with them. They had very loud tire noise and also an annoying sound frequency of tire noise. At 20mph the tires were noticeably loud. The worst part aside from the noise was the complete change in the driving dynamics of the CX-9. It simply wasn't fun to drive at all anymore. The on-center steering feel was totally vague and not responsive. I don't know if this is possible, but even normal acceleration from a stop felt more sluggish. I checked the PSI and everything was as recommended. Wet traction didn't seem very good. Disclaimer, I never tried them in the snow, perhaps this is where they shine.

Luckily both Tire Rack and Vredestein have a 30 day return policy. So I exchanged them for the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires. The fun-to-drive characteristics of the CX-9 are back! Great steering feel overall and on-center steering feel, no sluggishness behind the wheel, and the tire noise isn't bad (although I think the stock tires were actually quieter, shockingly enough). They ride composed and smooth, yet not harsh. I'm a big fan of these tires for this vehicle and the driving style that I prefer. I'll report back after I have them in the snow and let you know how they perform in that regard.

Following-up here to update you all on my tire situation on the CX-9 (2019 Grand Touring on 20" wheels). The stock Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus lasted about 28K miles and I needed a set of all-season tires that would do decently well in the snow, but was looking to retain good driving characteristics (turn-in feel, not too soft, quiet on the highway).

I bought Vredestein Quatrac Pro's and was extremely dissatisfied with them. They had very loud tire noise and also an annoying sound frequency of tire noise. At 20mph the tires were noticeably loud. The worst part aside from the noise was the complete change in the driving dynamics of the CX-9. It simply wasn't fun to drive at all anymore. The on-center steering feel was totally vague and not responsive. I don't know if this is possible, but even normal acceleration from a stop felt more sluggish. I checked the PSI and everything was as recommended. Wet traction didn't seem very good. Disclaimer, I never tried them in the snow, perhaps this is where they shine.

Luckily both Tire Rack and Vredestein have a 30 day return policy. So I exchanged them for the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires. The fun-to-drive characteristics of the CX-9 are back! Great steering feel overall and on-center steering feel, no sluggishness behind the wheel, and the tire noise isn't bad (although I think the stock tires were actually quieter, shockingly enough). They ride composed and smooth, yet not harsh. I'm a big fan of these tires for this vehicle and the driving style that I prefer. I'll report back after I have them in the snow and let you know how they perform in that regard.
Based on Tire Rack Tire Ratings Charts, although it’s new, Pirelli® Scorpion™ AS Plus 3 255/50R20 109V XL certainly is rated better than Vredestein® Quatrac Pro 255/50R20 109Y XL. I especially unimpressed by “400 A A” UTQG rating on Quatrac Pro which indicates possible shorter tread life at 40K miles (“800 A A” UTQG rating on Scorpion™ AS Plus 3). Other observation you had on Quatrac Pro actually surprised me a bit though.

255/50R20 Tire Comparison Table for Gen-2 CX-9 - Many to Choose From

Yes most reputable tire companies offer 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Discount Tire Store I use not only offers satisfaction guarantee, but also there’re no time limits for returns or exchanges!

I’m just about done with the useable tread on the Michelin Premier LTXs I put on our car about 3 years ago. I loved the tires but not the 36k life (24k short of advertised) We’re coming up on a NH winter so I ordered a set of Goodyear Weatherreadies. The tires should arrive soon but my local Sams club is about a month out on install appointments. I’ll report back.

I’m just about done with the useable tread on the Michelin Premier LTXs I put on our car about 3 years ago. I loved the tires but not the 36k life (24k short of advertised) We’re coming up on a NH winter so I ordered a set of Goodyear Weatherreadies. The tires should arrive soon but my local Sams club is about a month out on install appointments. I’ll report back.
Not surprised by short tread life on Michelin Premier LTX due to its thin 8.5/32" tread depth and user’s reviews. 4.9 rating on “Treadwear” from Tire Rack Tire Ratings Charts (see link in my previous post) is pretty bad comparing to others. May be that’s why Michelin discontinued Premier LTX even though it came out to the market not long ago.

If you bought these Michelin Premier LTX’s from Discount Tire Store, you can get 40% mileage warranty credit (24K / 60K) from your original purchasing price towards your cost of your next new set of tires. You won’t lose anything for short tread life.

Any reason why you choose Goodyear® Assurance® WeatherReady® tires this time? The TR Ratings Charts show Assurance® WeatherReady® is having a bit lower scores on “Noise” and “Would you recommend”.

Back