Time to Put On New Tires

First of all Michelin makes a fantastic tire and as much as I hate to admit because I work for a Mazda dealer you cannot beat Costo's pricing. I do agree the OEM tires that come on most of the Mazda's are not fantastic and usually very overpriced. I have tested the DWS and was not impressed at all. Continental invited me out to take a few different cars and SUV's on a track and put it through its paces. And just to comment on (helbigtw) tires do not just blow up. I can almost guarantee you had an under inflation problem which caused increased friction and the tire overheated, or you had the incorrect speed/load rating on the tire.

Well kids, since Yokohama turned out to be way too rich for my blood, I have put on a set of HANKOOK 20's and hope we get good mileage and handling out of them. The Parada Spec X's were excellent and gave us over 50K of trouble-free miles!

fxpthl, I would be interested to see how the Hankook's perform on cold & wet roads and how they tread heavy water on the road (downpour at high speeds). Those are my 2 sticking points in buying tires (cold/wet traction and wet/high speed hydroplaning resistance)

Let us know!

I am guessing that the 20 inch rims and wide 245 width tires are not meant for even light snow. I'm seriously contemplating a set of 18 or 20 inch snows for next winter. It's a shame that Continental doesn't make their Extreme Contact DWS tires for our car. I loved those tires on my TL and they did well in the snow for an Ultra High Performance All Season tire.

I agree, it is more likely the low profile wide tires than the specific tire that is the problem in snow. I also live in the Boston area and know that in very light snow the braking can be exciting but I doubt a change to another brand of all season will change anything. I've been pretty happy with the original tires overall which still have decent tread after 42000 miles. I'm starting to think about replacements and probably won't get the Duellers simply because of cost. Not sure what to get and I really don't trust the "ratings" on the tire websites as the comments are so poorly supported by data and tend to show lemming like characteristics amongst reviewers. Probably will go with whatever Costco has in that size and then ponder 18" wheels and real snow tires again.

First purchase for our 2010 CX-9 was a dedicated set of General Altimaxx snows on rims. Living in the Boston area can make driving exciting when they decide to delay plowing the roads. With these we can go through pretty much anything. Now I need to get new regular tires as one of the OEM Duellers got a leak and they were pretty toast anyway. Looking at either the Nitto 850 or the Prada-X.

I agree. Just traded an Infiniti sedan wih those Conti's. Loved them and was hoping they would make the 20 inch size by the time I needed to replace my Duelers.
BTW, actually really like the Duelers in dry and rain. Only drove once in light snow... not too bad

Back