Tie down eyelets

Wait, so our car doesn't have a towing eyelet included as standard?

Nope, it's a ~$20 USD "optional" part available from the dealer. This is one thing Mazda should have included, instead of leaving it out to cut costs.

Oh that really sucks. I guess I'll get one, if only because of winter and what if. Yes $20 per vehicle adds up but it should be standard from Mazda.

So what's the part number?

I went through this with my 2018 CX-9. After dealing with Mazda directly, they informed me that all 2014+ Mazda vehicles are not sold with the towing eyelets or the shipping eyelets. Shipping eyelets I understand, but not including the tow hook for recovery purposes is stupid, IMO.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865561-Missing-towing-eyelet

Part number is KD53-50-EJ1B (can be used for the front or rear on the 2014+ CX-5). Cost me about $23 USD from a local dealer.

No, they are for emergency towing. Straight out of the Owner's Manual, in the section titled Emergency Towing:

"The towing eyelet should be used in an emergency (to get the vehicle out of a ditch or a snow bank, for example).

When using the towing eyelets, always pull the cable or chain in a straight direction with respect to the eyelet. Never apply a sideways force."

attachment.php

View attachment 219755

The equipment that is used to tie the vehicle down on the ship deck is different from the towing eyelet that you can purchase from the dealer (shown in the picture). The tie downs and the towing eyelets use the same attachment points (one on the front and two on the rear), but the tie downs are not suitable for towing (which is why Mazda no longer leaves them in the vehicle).
So I checked USA 2013 and 2018 owner's manuals as well as 2017 (latest available on line) Canada manual and they all read exactly the same, admonishing the owner not to use the "tie down" eyelets for anything onther than just that. Here's the exact verbiage:
Do not use the front and rear tiedown
eyelets for towing the vehicle.
They have been designed only for securing
the vehicle to a transport vessel during
shipping.
Using the eyelets for any other purpose
could result in the vehicle being damaged.

So unless they changed all that on the 2018 Canadian model only, I have no idea where your drawings and instructions came from. Also, the part number you give is the exact same unit that came packed in the spare tire well of my 2013, so there would appear to be no difference between a "tow" hook and a "tie-down" hook in Mazda-speak.

I just did a search on Eyelet in the 2017 USA manual - it is only a tiedown eyelet there. similar images as above but word towing is replaced with tiedown.

Towing is usually mentioned in regards to rolling loads - Think winch vs hoist. If users are trying to pull to much weight, mazda probably decide not to support any kind of towing. The stuck in ditch or snow bank, can easily go from a rolling load to something much heavier.

Yes, very confusing. The 2018 hard copy manual has the verbiage you quote, BUT, the on line manual says the hook can be used for an emergency pull out of a ditch.
There is also this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1msvAHTK6M

The hook & connection looks pretty strong when connected; sems to be the only way to get pulled out of a snow bank (?)

No, they are for emergency towing. Straight out of the Owner's Manual, in the section titled Emergency Towing:

"The towing eyelet should be used in an emergency (to get the vehicle out of a ditch or a snow bank, for example).

When using the towing eyelets, always pull the cable or chain in a straight direction with respect to the eyelet. Never apply a sideways force."

attachment.php

View attachment 219755

The equipment that is used to tie the vehicle down on the ship deck is different from the towing eyelet that you can purchase from the dealer (shown in the picture). The tie downs and the towing eyelets use the same attachment points (one on the front and two on the rear), but the tie downs are not suitable for towing (which is why Mazda no longer leaves them in the vehicle).

Mazda should have included the towing eyelet as OE, instead of making it an optional part.

When I was walking around the dealer showroom looking at Mazda's I saw those towing hooks laying in the cargo area of at least 1 Mazda and possibly 2.

I was thinking thats what they use to tie the Mazdas down on the boat until I saw that drawing.

So I checked USA 2013 and 2018 owner's manuals as well as 2017 (latest available on line) Canada manual and they all read exactly the same, admonishing the owner not to use the "tie down" eyelets for anything onther than just that. Here's the exact verbiage:
Do not use the front and rear tiedown
eyelets for towing the vehicle.
They have been designed only for securing
the vehicle to a transport vessel during
shipping.
Using the eyelets for any other purpose
could result in the vehicle being damaged.

So unless they changed all that on the 2018 Canadian model only, I have no idea where your drawings and instructions came from. Also, the part number you give is the exact same unit that came packed in the spare tire well of my 2013, so there would appear to be no difference between a "tow" hook and a "tie-down" hook in Mazda-speak.

Ah, I think I see where the confusion is.

The tie down eyelet is the hardware that is screwed into the tow holes (identified with a blue arrow in the drawing I posted). The vehicles are tied down to the ship decks using this hardware. When the vehicles arrive, they remove the tie downs from the tow holes.

The towing eyelet is a different piece of hardware that screws into the tow holes. From the drawings in the CX-5 manual, they look exactly the same as tie down eyelets. The towing eyelet is likely manufactured for emergency towing (maybe a different grade of steel or type of metal alloy). Here's a pic of the towing eyelet (P/N KD53-50-EJ1B):

s-l225.jpg

As a note, the screencap I posted came from the Mazda Canada 2018 CX-9 owner's manual, not the CX-5. I did look at the Mazda USA 2018 CX-5 owner's manual, and for some reason they only include installation instructions for the tie down eyelets. There is actually no information in the emergency towing section of that manual that tells you that you should use a towing eyelet for emergency towing - it only tells you what you can't do.

Also, to reiterate my post on the first page again, "all 2014+ Mazda vehicles are not sold with the towing eyelets or the shipping eyelets," as quoted to me by Mazda Canada. So your 2013 likely included the towing eyelet, but not the tie down eyelets. Since the manual only shows the tie down eyelets, and they look just like the towing eyelet, I can see where the confusion comes from.

The Mazda USA manual needs an amendment.

Last edited:
FWIW, my US 2018 cx 5 touring came with the towing eyelet.

You must be one of the lucky ones, lol. I'd double check to make sure it is indeed the towing eyelet and not the tie-down eyelet.

It's the towing eyelet; is pretty burly, and fits in a slot directly behind spare tire (not slots on right), as shown in the on line manual.
Maybe they figured us Denver folk are more likely to get stuck in the mountain snow (?!)

It's the towing eyelet; is pretty burly, and fits in a slot directly behind spare tire (not slots on right), as shown in the on line manual.
Maybe they figured us Denver folk are more likely to get stuck in the mountain snow (?!)

Could be! Too bad they didn't include it for Canadians in winter lol

Back