Tie down eyelets

:
2022 CX-9 Signature
Our new 2018 cx-5 gt is missing the 2 rear and 1 front tie down eyelets from the spare tire area. Dealer says they have not seen any come with them. Anyone from the USA purchase recently have these hooks?

Our new 2018 cx-5 gt is missing the 2 rear and 1 front tie down eyelets from the spare tire area. Dealer says they have not seen any come with them. Anyone from the USA purchase recently have these hooks?
No, Mazda longer provides them since MY 2016 on CX-5. You can always order them from Mazda dealers, at about $20+ each.

BTW, theres only one rear tie-down eyelet provided for pre-2016 MYs, not two.

Eyelets? You mean the shipping hooks? Those aren't tie downs. They use them to ship the cars here. They remove them because that is the only purpose they serve.

They actually exist on the inside where the yellow arrows are pointing to:

2yl2ryf.jpg

The manual shows them on page 7-3 and 7-23 for emergency towing. I presume there for the flatbeds to strap to if they don't have tire straps

I went through this with my 2018 CX-9. After dealing with Mazda directly, they informed me that all 2014+ Mazda vehicles are not sold with the towing eyelets or the shipping eyelets. Shipping eyelets I understand, but not including the tow hook for recovery purposes is stupid, IMO.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865561-Missing-towing-eyelet

Part number is KD53-50-EJ1B (can be used for the front or rear on the 2014+ CX-5). Cost me about $23 USD from a local dealer.

My 2016.5 didn't come with the eyelets but when I complained to my salesman about it he ordered them for me.

To clarify, these are the eyelets that screw into the front and rear bumpers. I used them to tie down my kayak.

When I took delivery of my 2017 CX-5, I asked the dealer about the missing "tow hooks". Dealer said that Mazda no longer included them because they were shipping eyelets that owners were mistakenly using for tow hooks. The eyelets were fine for holding the car on a flat bed but if you tried to tow the car, you could do significant damage that Mazda does not want to pay for. Not sure it is true but that is what my dealer said.

So, why are there two cutouts (left & right)for towing on the back of the '18 cx 5, but only one towing cutout in the front?

So, why are there two cutouts (left & right)for towing on the back of the '18 cx 5, but only one towing cutout in the front?

I think those aren't for towing, they're for recovery. You should be using a hitch for towing.

I think those aren't for towing, they're for recovery. You should be using a hitch for towing.

They are for shipping only. They keep the vehicle from moving on a ship's deck. Mazda doesn't want you to try to pull the car out of a ditch using them.

They are for shipping only. They keep the vehicle from moving on a ship's deck. Mazda doesn't want you to try to pull the car out of a ditch using them.

No, they are for emergency towing. Straight out of the Owner's Manual, in the section titled Emergency Towing:

"The towing eyelet should be used in an emergency (to get the vehicle out of a ditch or a snow bank, for example).

When using the towing eyelets, always pull the cable or chain in a straight direction with respect to the eyelet. Never apply a sideways force."

attachment.php

towing.JPG

The equipment that is used to tie the vehicle down on the ship deck is different from the towing eyelet that you can purchase from the dealer (shown in the picture). The tie downs and the towing eyelets use the same attachment points (one on the front and two on the rear), but the tie downs are not suitable for towing (which is why Mazda no longer leaves them in the vehicle).

Mazda should have included the towing eyelet as OE, instead of making it an optional part.

Back