Thumping noise when braking. Sounds like a flat

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
I am happy to finally own a 2016 cx5 with a manual transmission (I don't think the 2016.5 and forward will offer the Manual)

On my drive home with the wife we noticed that when braking we would hear a thumping noise just like what a flat tire sounds like but of course no flat tire.

The car only had 20 miles on the ODO so I don't think its warped rotors

I will of course take it to the dealer but due to the holiday weekend, I wont get it to service till Tue.

Any clues what the problem might be?

We did test drive it and didn't notice anything but maybe because the sales guy was talking

Thanks

If the new car was driven through a puddle of de-icer and then parked with the parking brake on, the disc could have a rusted spot that thumps under braking. If so, a few stops from freeway speed should resolve it.

How cold is it where you are. Somethings the water vapor in the tire could freeze, causing an imbalance.

How cold is it where you are. Somethings the water vapor in the tire could freeze, causing an imbalance.

looks like he's in socal?
the past week it's been in the high 80's (day) and mid 60's at night.

Sorry about your east coast weather!

looks like he's in socal?
the past week it's been in the high 80's (day) and mid 60's at night.

Well scratch the comment about the de-icer then! But warm wind driven rain and high humidity could do the same thing.

Will go to the dealer tomorrow and see whats up. I really like the car and other than my gripe about the lack of 40 20 40 seats with the manual, all is well.

Getting it tinted this afternoon since yes I am in socal and it is in the 90's right now.

I don't want to touch it since its a new car but I do want to eventually put on some Eibach springs, 18 inch wheels, window tint, hood deflector (cant find a good one, only the OEM Mazda one), Mud Flaps (still don't know which) and put on the OEM Rails with aftermarket cross bars, Larger exhaust Tips, OEM Tweeters (Idon't know if part KD62-66-960 works on the 16's) Kenwood underseat Sub, and I think thats about it.

Any cons to my mods are appreciated

Will go to the dealer tomorrow and see whats up. I really like the car and other than my gripe about the lack of 40 20 40 seats with the manual, all is well.

Getting it tinted this afternoon since yes I am in socal and it is in the 90's right now.

I don't want to touch it since its a new car but I do want to eventually put on some Eibach springs, 18 inch wheels, window tint, hood deflector (cant find a good one, only the OEM Mazda one), Mud Flaps (still don't know which) and put on the OEM Rails with aftermarket cross bars, Larger exhaust Tips, OEM Tweeters (Idon't know if part KD62-66-960 works on the 16's) Kenwood underseat Sub, and I think thats about it.

Any cons to my mods are appreciated
Lots of money for less fuel economy, and why do you want mud-flaps on a lowered car? Hood deflector? Just wrap it. I dunno, it sounds very distasteful to me, but that's why its your car, and your money. do what makes YOU happy, because noone else is paying your bills.

^ No Worries I've had 5 and still have a Mitsubishi Evo 9 (those forums are great too) so I know it's always my decision to do what I want BUT I always like peoples input because they might know something I don't.

I've never liked to over do it thats why I am looking at the Eibach springs (which I know need to be imported) because they have the least drop but still make a difference. Someone on here had a pic and I need to find it, but it looked great.

The mud guards are because my family lives in an equestrian community with lots of mud and gravel trails

hood deflector is pretty flat so I don't think it will create drag.

Thank You though for the input

I won't say I know it all and I will be the first to call out my cars issues regardless of my affinity for them... because that evo is B&^* to work on and deal with, but oh what fun it is.

^ No Worries I've had 5 and still have a Mitsubishi Evo 9 (those forums are great too) so I know it's always my decision to do what I want BUT I always like peoples input because they might know something I don't.

I've never liked to over do it thats why I am looking at the Eibach springs (which I know need to be imported) because they have the least drop but still make a difference. Someone on here had a pic and I need to find it, but it looked great.

The mud guards are because my family lives in an equestrian community with lots of mud and gravel trails

hood deflector is pretty flat so I don't think it will create drag.

Thank You though for the input

I won't say I know it all and I will be the first to call out my cars issues regardless of my affinity for them... because that evo is B&^* to work on and deal with, but oh what fun it is.

Sounds like you have a good handle on your needs/uses!

I am also in so cal. Where do you go for tint? I was thinking about going to Direct Tints in Downey, but I never went there before. Last tint shop I went to took of the panels to install the tint, but didn't reinstall it properly resulting in a rattle.

^ TW Tinting in Santa Ana

I'm sure you can find one Closer to You Through Yelp but this place has done 6 of my cars and it has always come out great

On my drive home with the wife we noticed that when braking we would hear a thumping noise just like what a flat tire sounds like but of course no flat tire.

I have an AT and also notice some noise when braking. I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is the same as mine, but I looked through the owner's manual and found a note under Brake Assist and it seems to explain it:

When the brake pedal is depressed hard or depressed more quickly, a motor/pump operation noise may be heard. This is a normal effect of the brake assist and does not indicate a malfunction.

It's a good thing though that you've already booked an appointment, better to err on the side of caution. Let us know what they say.

Sounds like OP is a rookie hitman. You have to strap those bodies in the back down.

Could be a neighbors car wrapped around the rear axle. More likely a warped brake rotor.

So this seems to have been the problem......

Considering I wanted a Manual Transmission and No One seems to test drive manual transmissions, thus they sit and sit and sit, till someone buys it, mine had some rust on the rear right rotor. After some careful bed in procedures, it seems to be solved.

Onto my next project, figuring out if an underseat sub will fit. I use to have a Bazooka sub that was broken down to fit in a box under my XB but the neatest part was the plug and play option. Who knows what I am going to have to do ESP since the 2016 harness is different

But a manual is good!

So this seems to have been the problem......

Considering I wanted a Manual Transmission and No One seems to test drive manual transmissions, thus they sit and sit and sit, till someone buys it, mine had some rust on the rear right rotor. After some careful bed in procedures, it seems to be solved.

Onto my next project, figuring out if an underseat sub will fit. I use to have a Bazooka sub that was broken down to fit in a box under my XB but the neatest part was the plug and play option. Who knows what I am going to have to do ESP since the 2016 harness is different

I think mine were rusted too when I got it, but the bright side is that it only had three miles on it, probably most which was mandatory port or dealer prep. The Metra 70-7552 harness will fit your vehicle.

Just curious, where did you hear that the manual is discontinued?

^ somewhere in my google searches, it was a forum but not here (Since I was afraid the d/c of the manual might happen) and the unreliable dealer said there were no Manual 16.5's on the next shipment (This was a different dealer than the one I bought it from)

I just couldn't risk driving an auto, my wife's car is torture enough.

Back