Thinking of selling my Mustang for a MP3 or MSP...... thoughts?

Porsche

MP3 717
:
nothing currently....
Well I had an MP3 for 4 years before the engine went bye bye. Sucked up water in the CAI. Anyways I sold her after that a little more then a year ago. Now I have a 2006 black v6 mustang. It has been fun but I kind of miss the Mazda....
Here are my thoughts, I can sell the Mustang for more then I can get a MP3 or MSP so I will get to pocket 1-2K.
I drive about 80-100 miles a day and can save about $500-600 a year on gas with a Mazda. I drive 30-35K miles a year so I need something that can handle that. Also I need it to last with no major issues for 3 years.
Most of you will say it is no question to go with a mazda for the extra money, but should I go with a MP3 or MSP. I drive a lot of miles and that is why I am worried about the extra issues with the miles on the turbo.

Hope everyone has a great week and thanks for your comments.

Mp3s seem to be a bit more reliable as they don't have the turbo problems.. They are fun little cars.. I say mp3 over msp! And I own a msp.. But will also soon have a mp3

im pushing 160k on my mp3 and i bought it from my sister at 145. Aside from minor suspension and a wheel bearing *knock on wood* no issues. Great car.

My vote goes to the MP3 simply due to the fact that you are more likely to find one that wasn't abused and beat to s*** compared to a MSP. But it does seem like the number of ridiculously riced out MP3s is almost as high as that of Civics, so your chances of finding a stock MP3 are pretty slim too I would say.

So go with whatever you can find that is closer to stock condition. That's what I would be looking for at least..

I am leaning towards and MP3 because I put so many miles on a car every year and dont want to have to mess with any turbo problems.

You are right, it is hard finding an MP3 that is in stock form and at a good price. Plus I would really like to find one in Texas but that takes my pickings down to even less.

Now I regret selling mine and not just getting another engine put in it. Oh well, can turn back time......

You should get a real Mustang (V8), I miss torque when i'm in my Mazda.
As for reliability i've had my MSP since July and i've been working on it constantly but a clean low mileage example shouldn't be too bad. All things considered it's only had the common problems these cars have. The N/A proteges are great cars reliability wise, but you know that. I had a P5 from 01 until I got my MSP and I hardly had to do more than replace the battery, brakes and tires. Also consider the MP3 burns premium, as does the MSP but for a daily that may be an issue. If I were looking for another DD or if I could turn back time I probably would have gone with another P5. I love this MSP but it's got it's fair share of headaches.
Either way, before I had my MSP I never knew what I was missing and it was boost.

Last edited:
I say get a low mileage reg pro and mod the suspension. They are much easier to find unmolested and cheaper then the MSP or MP3. Plus you can run reg gas as well. Or you could just swap in a MP3 ECU at a later date or just get the stocker reflashed.

You should get a real Mustang (V8), I miss torque when i'm in my Mazda.
As for reliability i've had my MSP since July and i've been working on it constantly but a clean low mileage example shouldn't be too bad. All things considered it's only had the common problems these cars have. The N/A proteges are great cars reliability wise, but you know that. I had a P5 from 01 until I got my MSP and I hardly had to do more than replace the battery, brakes and tires. If I were looking for another DD or if I could turn back time I probably would have gone with another P5 or found an MP3. I love this MSP but it's got it's fair share of headaches.Either way, before I had my MSP I never knew what I was missing and it was boost.

+1

I say get a low mileage reg pro and mod the suspension. They are much easier to find unmolested and cheaper then the MSP or MP3. Plus you can run reg gas as well. Or you could just swap in a MP3 ECU at a later date or just get the stocker reflashed.

+1

I would do that but I like the looks of the MP3 and the MSP. Even if I put the kit on the outside you still have the interior that also looks really good on them. For the years on these cars 2001 and 2003 they still look so hot!
I am still looking and trying to find out. Found a couple of good deals on some MSP with less then 100K but still looking. I think I may list my mustang for sale to force me to find a mazda a little faster.

Found an Mp3 for 2k but need a motor or motor work.
Anyone know where to get a good cheap motor?
Is 2k to much to pay for one needing a motor?
Thanks

Depends on what the motor work is. Mine needs to be reshimed and needs struts and motor mounts and I listed it for 6kobo just to see if somebody will actually pay that for it. If its something little like a head gasket id go for it

Looks like I am going to look/buy a mazdaspeed on Thursday.
Black mica in a stock configuration. OH YEA!

Back