The "What mods for a daily driven MSP?" Guide Thread

For daily driving the stock fuel pump can handle anything you throw at it including 440 injectors

did this ever happen? i would like to see what updates you have :)

Not yet. I just got done moving so i havent had time. Ill do it soon. I need to PM some members on here to get some FMIC input since the last one i used was MAM.

ill see what i can do shortly. Most of it will remain the same but i want to add some spark plug stuff and general tips.

I'll be doing a turbo back setup and was thinking about upgrading the fuel pump since I've heard the stock pump tends to give out under load.

Btw Terbo, fyi, I have a FMIC from Mishimoto in my car so you might wanna add that up there...

Not yet. I just got done moving so i havent had time. Ill do it soon. I need to PM some members on here to get some FMIC input since the last one i used was MAM.

ill see what i can do shortly. Most of it will remain the same but i want to add some spark plug stuff and general tips.

A lot of us have gone the ebay FMIC route, that is worth including.

So as of right now I am currently running an Injen CAI, Corksport Powerseries Exhaust, as well as SpicyorangeMSP ECU flash. Although the ECU flash definitely helped the hesitation issue with boosting, when driving in lower gears (1-3rd) I am experiencing some "bucking" when I release off the gas pedal. Also, when I shift my car into neutral, the RPM's dive extremely low (between 200-300) and sometimes even killing it. I'm not sure if it's the WGA, MAF, or maybe the BPV?

MAF cleaner to start... Or maybe a vac/boost or exhaust leak (cracked mani?) Running some seafoam into the brake booster line can help track down most of these leaks. Also Injector seals, tb gasket, im gasket...

MAF cleaner to start... Or maybe a vac/boost or exhaust leak (cracked mani?) Running some seafoam into the brake booster line can help track down most of these leaks. Also Injector seals, tb gasket, im gasket...

Just had the MAF cleaned recently. Would a boost leak cause these kinds of symptoms?

Releasing the gas would put you in full vac...which if there are any leaks that is where they show by causing bucking or usually if its an exhaust leak you might hear some backfiring. In boost it'll cause you to run a bit richer than normal and bog a bit.

Seafoam is a good starting point... you'll see alot of white smoke during reving around the im or piping or around the turbo mani from any leaks.

Last edited:
Releasing the gas would put you in full vac...which if there are any leaks that is where they show by causing bucking or usually if its an exhaust leak you might hear some backfiring. In boost it'll cause you to run a bit richer than normal and bog a bit.

Seafoam is a good starting point... you'll see alot of white smoke during reving around the im or piping or around the turbo mani from any leaks.

Occasionally when shifting, either up or down, I'll get some backfiring from my exhaust

Even bone stock cars do that occasionally. Pretty embarrassing, any EMS or piggyback can fix it.

I am currently running a stock PCM, but I swapped my boost source to my WGA from the manifold to a silicon coupler off the compressor outlet (using a hard hot pipe now) just a few inches long and I haven't noticed the backfire at all since. My theory is that with the MAF controlled tuning and a very inadequate bypass valve, the extra boost after the throttle closes is actually pushed back out the intake. The MAF doesn't care which way the air is moving and essentially meters it twice dumping fuel in the engine with the throttle closed, and once it makes it way to the tailpipe and sees oxygen again it ignites.

Of course, MAF relocation would also solve this, but that's even more hard pipe work.

Even bone stock cars do that occasionally. Pretty embarrassing, any EMS or piggyback can fix it.

I am currently running a stock PCM, but I swapped my boost source to my WGA from the manifold to a silicon coupler off the compressor outlet (using a hard hot pipe now) just a few inches long and I haven't noticed the backfire at all since. My theory is that with the MAF controlled tuning and a very inadequate bypass valve, the extra boost after the throttle closes is actually pushed back out the intake. The MAF doesn't care which way the air is moving and essentially meters it twice dumping fuel in the engine with the throttle closed, and once it makes it way to the tailpipe and sees oxygen again it ignites.

Of course, MAF relocation would also solve this, but that's even more hard pipe work.

Well I purchased and installed SpicyOrangeMSP's flashed ECU for my car hoping it would fix this issue since it's supposed to lean out the air/fuel mixture. It didn't fix the backfiring, but sure did cure the hesitation issues!

I picked up a MSP locally the mod list is as follows:

Optima Red Top
steedspeed Manifold
GHL TBE
Defi Boost Gauge
Upgraded front motor mount
Alpine Ipod headunit
HKS Turbo Timer
Altered customs FMIC kit
Monsterknob Piano black shift knob
ForceFed Steering wheel column gauge pod
Speedhut A pillar triple gauge pod
AEM Uego wideband
AEM Oil Pressure
AEM Oil Temperature
Synapse Synchronic BOV/adapter piped
JL w3 8"
Snotbox custom catch can
35% tint up front
20% on rear
TWM Performance short shifter
TWM Performance Black/Silver short shift boot
Kartboy Poly Shifter bushings
Kicker KS series front and rear speakers
Front rotors are cross drilled
new pads up front
New plugs and wires in last 3k miles

Any recommendations? I've found sometimes it seems like the car sputters when underload in the mornings or after sitting awhile but then levels out.

Back