The "Spicy Saloon" MSP build thread

Such a sweet sweet ride always jelous ,been in and out here many many times to gawk at the pictures when I feel like a protg hit lol,., just wanted to give a shout out and I say I seen your Spicy Saloon on Instagram from Mazda life. props !

I still have mine #1164 Spicy Orange I'm about to have repainted, the engine rebuilt with forged internals, and probably the turbo and fuel system upgraded. I think it's worth it. It's a pretty rare car on the road and it's been alot of fun to daily drive through the years.

My brother still has his spicy with a forged long block ready to go in. Been sitting in the garage for years Lol. We'll get to it one day.

Hello everyone! I’m back for a 4 years later update. 9.5 years with this car and I love it more than ever.Plenty has happened since I’ve last updated this thread. To the untrained eye the car won’t look much different. But the car is much more refined and feels much more complete. I’m still going to tweak and switch some things over the years, but overall it feels like a finished project which is a weird feeling after all this time.

I’m feeling nostalgic so here are old some photos of the car:

car when new.jpg

I'm not familiar with this photo upload system so hopefully it works.

car 2012.jpg

car coils and spacers.jpg

And present day:

MSP build cover images-1.jpg

headlight shot-18.jpg

MSP snow day 2020-2.jpg

MSP snowy outside DriveShed -1.jpg

MSP bt-1.jpg

MSP snowy outside DriveShed -4.jpg

Drove it twice down through the USA to Ocean City, Maryland, for H2Oi. And to Princeton, New Jersey for First Class Fitment.

MSP water front h2o-1.jpg

Not one to have my cars entered in judged car shows but it was an honour to have it at the 10th and final FCF.

MSP DC-1.jpg

With Canada's other fitted protege - my friend Brandon
Chris O Neal FCF.jpg

More photos of where it’s at now.

MSP bt-3.jpg

MSP bt-4.jpg

MSP bt-2.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well!

My Protege 5 was an absolute gem for 8+ years and the cheapest and most reliable daily I could ask for. I loved that car but I grew out of front wheel drive and the rot was getting very bad, so I sold it for $100 less than I bought it haha.

5 speed
Crown Vic mesh wheels
Megan springs, tokico blues
Short ram intake
MSP oem front mini splitter
Custom side sills to match
Shaved hatch
Wrapped gloss nardo grey, with gloss black roof
Subtle orange fog tint to match the turn sigs

IMG_8516.JPG

And present day:

View attachment 295990
View attachment 295991
View attachment 295988
View attachment 295987
View attachment 295995
View attachment 295986

Drove it twice down through the USA to Ocean City, Maryland, for H2Oi. And to Princeton, New Jersey for First Class Fitment.

View attachment 295992

Not one to have my cars entered in judged car shows but it was an honour to have it at the 10th and final FCF.

View attachment 295994

With Canada's other fitted protege - my friend Brandon
View attachment 295993

More photos of where it’s at now.

View attachment 295997
View attachment 295998
View attachment 295996

Hope everyone is doing well!
Dude, your car has made me want to go out and get an MSP and start building it. Unfortunately the only ones I can find are either black, or grey. But I'll get one, one day!

Back