The remnants of my Mazda3

Yup, Ive tried that. I was in my '00 Focus racing a 3000GT at midnight on the main road in town. Race was over (I won, but my dad disagrees since the other guy was still able to drive away) and we were braking as we came up to the red light. Brakes locked up, I went over the center divider which was about 6" high. Snapped the front axel, airbags deployed (which broke out my windshield unnecessarily, to make sure it cost more to repair) and the wheel that hit first split in half. To make matters worse, the towtruck that came to get me was one of the flatbeds, so when it pulled my car up onto the back, the front bumper caught the island that I ran over and broke all the mounts so I had to replace that, too.

I totally sympathize, bro... I feel for ya completely, but at least you get a new car. ;)

That sucks...and in the focus, its 4k just to replace the airbags..you have to replace the entire dashboard if the airbag deploys. at least you won.

Reason 4: The normal 3 is still a great car and costs a good few grand less.
Reason 5: If you want an auto trans
Reason 6: In day to day driving the normal 3 rides allot better
Reason 7: The normal 3 has tires for the real World and not just summer

I thought about it, but there are 2 reasons I am not getting the speed.

1. No Moon roof
2. I would kill myself in that car
And I think those are excellent reasons!

I respect a man that knows his limitations. :)

Congrats on the car! And great color too. Wish the ms3 was offered in stormy blue.

Reason 4: The normal 3 is still a great car and costs a good few grand less.
Reason 5: If you want an auto trans
Reason 6: In day to day driving the normal 3 rides allot better
Reason 7: The normal 3 has tires for the real World and not just summer

I have a regular 3 ('06 hatch, black of course) with the 17in alloys and my tires were terrible in winter and even when it rained heavily. The shop guy said they were summer performance tires. So, maybe it is something you get with the 17 in wheels.

x2! The non-Speed3 Goodyear Eagle RSA tires are absolute crap. They are lethal in the snow and rain. I yanked those off less than 24 hours after taking delivery. They are sitting in my storage closet and I will put them back on right before I sell the vehicle.

I thought about it, but there are 2 reasons I am not getting the speed.

1. No Moon roof
2. I would kill myself in that car

And I think those are excellent reasons!

I respect a man that knows his limitations. :)

Congrats on the car! And great color too. Wish the ms3 was offered in stormy blue.

Reason #2 is the best reason I ever heard somebody give for not getting a car. I respect that.

Watch out for concrete in the new car.

x2! The non-Speed3 Goodyear Eagle RSA tires are absolute crap. They are lethal in the snow and rain. I yanked those off less than 24 hours after taking delivery. They are sitting in my storage closet and I will put them back on right before I sell the vehicle.

My brother is in this boat too, he bought Winters right away for his GT and made the RS-As Summer-only tyres until they need replacing, then he'll put better rubber on for his summers.

I did essentially the same thing. I don't think they are the worst tyres ever made by Goodyear, but I'm sure that 1. they aren't the best, and 2. Mazda could have either put on more convincing All-Seasons or just said screw it and put quality summer rubber on (like they did with the Mazdaspeed3).

My brother is in this boat too, he bought Winters right away for his GT and made the RS-As Summer-only tyres until they need replacing, then he'll put better rubber on for his summers.

I did essentially the same thing. I don't think they are the worst tyres ever made by Goodyear, but I'm sure that 1. they aren't the best, and 2. Mazda could have either put on more convincing All-Seasons or just said screw it and put quality summer rubber on (like they did with the Mazdaspeed3).

From what I have heard about the tires, they are actually one of the best tires that Goodyear makes. The issue is that they are literally for summer performance and nothing else. So, by all means, do not throw those away because they are actually quite expensive and my tire guy said that exact thing. Just only use them in the summer. If you do put them on, on a dry day go into some twisties. They are stuck to the pavement like glue, just so happens that in the snow, you might as well be riding on racing slicks.

Here are the reviews. You can judge for yourself:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+RS-A

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Goodyear&tiremodel=Eagle+RS-A

We get rain in the warmer months here in Michigan. If I lived in Arizona or California, I'd consider leaving the RSAs on my 3. I'm not about to change my tires on rainy days.

These are what I bought:

http://www.tirerack.com/tire-12/Dunlop/SP+Sport+Signature.shtml

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Dunlop&tiremodel=SP+Sport+Signature

What I was looking for was a good dry/wet tire, which could be passable in the winter (i.e. snow). I wasn't looking to change tires and or buy a separate set of steel rims, which would leave my TPMS light on. I have been very impressed with my Dunlops in the snow. Better than the tires I had on my '07 Wrangler. Plus they are super cheap!!!

Latest posts

Back