The Progression of my V.1 Street Sleeper Turbo build

bazooka joe said:
a restrictor? please make sure you show us a pic of that!!!

Here ya go. The larger opening end screws into the oil supply fitting on the turbo cartridge and the oil supply line goes on the tiny restrictor side.

Attachments

• .040 oil restrictor.jpg
    .040 oil restrictor.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 286
  • .040 oil restrictor 2.jpg
    .040 oil restrictor 2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 249
RyanJayG said:
just so you know, two of the studs are short on purpose. Because of the shape of the turbo, they can't be full length through two of the holes, because they will hit the turbine housing, and you'll never get a nut on.

game on

I couldn't source out replacements so I decided to shorten them up (the originals) a bit more just to make it easier to work with...

Attachments

• Turbo manifold studs.jpg
    Turbo manifold studs.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
The weekend of reassembly...

I got woken up at 8:15am Saturday by my doorbell. At first I thought I was dreaming but luckily the person ringing was persistent. It was DHL with my turbo! I was so stoked! Immediately I'm thinking I can throw this baby back together and be at Western Speedway today for Auto-X. Hah! Then reality set in.
Kinetic Motorsport did not remove the broken bolt in the exhaust side of the turbo housing so first thing I had to do was take it in to the local machine shop. I did that and they told me to call back at 3:00 pm to see if they had gotten to it as they were pretty busy. In the meantime I went back home and started to reassemble everything else that I could (including my valve cover which I had removed to paint). I did not have any luck finding new studs for the turbo mount to the exhaust manifold so I ended up using the old ones. I shortened two of them to make it easier to get the nuts on with the limited clearances I experienced when trying to get the turbo off. I also replaced the one cap screw with a grade 8 hex head bolt for the downpipe, the one thats a b**** to get at.
Called back at 3:00. They got the broken bolt out but the threads were stripped so they were trying to find a helicoil for it. They said come by in an hour and it should be ready. Picked it up, got it home and got it all buttoned up nicely to the manifold and downpipe by about 9:30. By that time I was fading so packed her in til Sunday am.
I finished reassembling everything else including the last of the intake piping, the oil supply and drain lines the front clip and the hood. Then I went back and triple checked all of my fittings, couplings, nuts, bolts etc to make sure that I hadn't missed anything. Then I put on the new oil filter and poured in just shy of 4 quarts of Amsoil 10w30. Turned the engine over a couple of times with the coil packs disconnected until the gauge showed about 20 psi. Then I fired the car up for the first time in 2 weeks and backed it out into the driveway. I let it sit and idle up to temperature. There was some smoking as the engine warmed up, I figured it was from the residual oil that I was unable to wash off. Then I took it out for a test drive. I drove for about 20 kms non-stop at a maximum of 60 kph, making sure to stay out of boost. There was still smoking, but I know that it was not from the exhaust, it was coming off the engine and exhaust pipe. I then pulled over and popped the hood. All was good except for the surface smoking in some areas and also steam from the valve cover breather filter (there was a bit of water in the breather chamber from when I washed it for painting). I checked all the oil supply/drain fittings and they appeared secure and clean. I then continued on my drive but this time I kicked it into full boost. I noticed right away that there seemed to be more smoke from surface burning and I also had a slight mist on my windshield. I pulled over again, popped the hood and there was oil on pretty much everything, including the underside of my hood (which did not happen the first time 2 weeks ago). Wherever it was coming from, it only seems to be happening under boost. There was no steady leak anywhere that I could see, no puddle under the car, just a nice slimy sheen on everything in the engine bay. I was sick when I saw this. I don't know what to do now. I drove back home, parked the car in the street, took some paper towel and mopped up some of the most evident mess and left it there to cool down. It sits there as I type this.
I'm at a loss here. This go round, it almost looks like the oil came from the manifold breather but I'm only guessing. Problem is that the oil is all new and clean and very difficult if not impossible to trace where it is originating from. Is there any way that it could be coming out the breather filter?
I'm afraid to start pulling things apart again (intake piping) to see if there is oil in there. I checked my dipstick and it is still at the full mark so what oil I did lose was just enough to put a nice glaze on everything under the hood.
Here's a pic. The shine is Amsoil 10W30... (pissed)

Attachments

• Is that clearcoat... no it's Amsoil 10W30.jpg
    Is that clearcoat... no it's Amsoil 10W30.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 322
Not sure if this would be the problem, but when you put the valve cover back on, was the valve cover gasket situated properly?

LinuxRacr said:
Not sure if this would be the problem, but when you put the valve cover back on, was the valve cover gasket situated properly?

Yes I was very careful with it. I also applied silicone at the 4 points shown in the service manual and tightened it down in the proper order and torque spec.

Dam. I just read this thread start to finish. I've read bits and pieces here and there, but now I have the full story. I too am starting a first gen ss kit project. As of now, I have the mani and dp, and a nice new fmic.

tkit.JPG

Next purchase will prob. be the tial wg. Also, your 28rs... is it an externally wastegated product, or did you have the internal flap welded like linux? I'm looking for a turbo now and can't find a 28rs that isn't internally gated... I would like to skip welding the flap if possible. Knowing that you bought this kit from another user who bought it orig. from mam, I'm guessing that it's external, but why can't I find that model anywhere? Weird. Anyways, reading this thread I know will help me a lot with the install. Sorry about your rotten luck! Jeez... first the turbo seals, now this? I'm also worried that along with you and bazooka, my mani coating will crack when installed. Something I'll just have to wait and see on. Oh, and up north there, where do you purchase your amsoil?

Hope you find the source of the leak... what a pisser. I know Azeli *or maybe it was another ss driver, but I think it was azeli* has had a problem with oil "spraying" from the breather :( Not sure if that helps, but it just stuck out in my mind. Sucks that it happens the same time you removed your valve cover... now it'll be a little harder to diagnose. Also, did your exhaust manifold come with a egr fitting? I know some of the first kits did not, and mine does not. I've heard you can just stick a breather on the egr valve and you won't throw a cel... not sure how well this works.

Funny how this has become the real ss kit trouble shooting thread. Hope you get it all straightened out tomorrow without much trouble. Let us know how it goes! Best of luck...

Quick update. All is good and I'm back on the road. Details to follow later but short story is... it sucks not having a car for 3 weeks...(argh)

Now I have to get ready to go racing next weekend! :)

3 weeks! Try 3 months, and then complain ;)

I am still fighting some cooling issues, but soon, very soon i'll be prowling streets with an even meaner car than now.

Well I guess I might have been a bit optimistic. I took the car for a good drive today and I've got oil coming out of both sides of the compressor housing! The "new" turbo is coming off tomorrow and going back to Kinetic Monday! (pissed)
Here's the intake side...

Attachments

• Oil Leak 1.jpg
    Oil Leak 1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 348
welcome to my world of the never ending oil leaks. about every three weeks i have to run it by the shop and have them check all the oil lines and fittings just to make sure everything is tight and in place. good luck with everything!

Well they're taking there sweet time about it, but they are "re-sealing and balancing" the new cartridge and shipping early next week. What really pisses me off is that I had to withdraw my entry in what is for me, the biggest and most exciting autocross event of the year, ( http://www.vcmc.ca/ksc_2006/ ) and something that I have been planning for since I moved to "the dark side". If they had done it right the first time, I'd be on a ferry right now, headed for Vancouver instead of sitting at home typing this! (pissed)

Well I didn't get the turbo back until the day before yesterday (Friday). 12 days from the day I sent it back to Kinetic Motorsport. I spent all Friday evening re-installing it but I did not start the car that night. Saturday morning, (under the advice of my tech at the Mazda dealer) I did a 'Carbon-soak" to clean out all the crap from the oil I had been burning. I used an AC Delco product called "Cleens". Basically you take the hose off the PCV Valve and (using a longer hose) stick it into the bottle, start the engine and suck it all out. It takes two people to do this as the engine wants to stall so one has to modulate the throttle to keep it going. When the bottle is empty, you shut off the engine and let it sit for a couple of hours, start it up again and rev it up to blow any remaining crap out the exhaust. I did this and after starting the engine, reving it for a minute or two, the exhaust cleared up and the car settled into a smooth idle.
I kept a close eye on the turbo assembly, checking to make sure all was tight. There were small leaks at the turbo flange on the exhaust manifold and also on the downpipe flange which I tightened and they seemed to go away. All appeared good.
(I should mention here that the last time I ran the car and had the oil leaking problem, I was also getting wisps of what appeared to be steam coming out of the Valve cover breather filter and also some oil. I thought that I would rig up a temporary "ghetto" catch-can on the breather this time, just in case it happened again. *see first thumbnail*)
So then it was time for a road test. (Note that the car was without front clip and hood.*2nd thumbnail* The car was fully up to temperature so I pulled it out of the driveway and drove down the street. Immediately there was smoke coming out the tailpipe. I thought that maybe it might be residual oil/carbon burning off and it would clear up, so I continued for a couple of blocks at moderate speed and revs no higher than about 3000. I got onto a sideroad with a gradual uphill grade and then the car really started smoking heavily. And then the oil mist appeared on the windshield again. I immediately pulled over and shut off the car, got out and sure enough, the first coupling off the turbo compressor had popped loose and there was oil all over. I'm feeling really ill at this point, but I had to get the car back home. I waited for it to cool down a bit so I could reach in and wipe the oil off of the coupling, clamps, pipe and compressor and re-attach everything. Once it was all back together I started the car, turned around and headed for home. The car ran horribly. It was sputtering and tried to stall several times, as well a smoking steadily out the back. I made it home and back into the garage where it now sits. I took the intake/filter pipe off the turbo compressor and sure enough, there was oil in there as well!
I am totally at a loss here. What is causing this to repeatedly happen? I know the set-up works, I ran the car for 5000 kms before the turbo seals first let go. Since replacing the turbo cartridge, nothing has changed to the overall installation, other than the addition of the .040 oil flow restrictor in the supply line. The oil return is clear. The oil level is normal. Is this just a badly assembled turbo that I have been cursed with? Should I remove it and send it back to Kinetic again? Any encouraging words will be greatly received... :(

Oh yeah, going back to the ghetto catch-can. It has about 1.5 tablespoons of a watery-yellow liquid in it.*last thumbnail* Any ideas on what this is about?

Attachments

• The ghetto catch-can.jpg
    The ghetto catch-can.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Is this the last time we see this car with boost.jpg
    Is this the last time we see this car with boost.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Ghetto catch can contents - looks like piss.jpg
    Ghetto catch can contents - looks like piss.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I know that the question of my oil return line location will come up so here are 3 pics of my setup. The bung was located as high as possible in the side of the pan. We had to remove a bit of the pan flange to allow clearance for the fitting.

Attachments

• Oil Return 1.jpg
    Oil Return 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Oil Return 2.jpg
    Oil Return 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Oil Return 3.jpg
    Oil Return 3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 269
Well I'm throwing in the towel and turning my car over to my tech at the dealer. Had to tow the car down since it's about 80 km from here.

Attachments

• Tow1.jpg
    Tow1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Tow2.jpg
    Tow2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 235
Jeph said:
I feel your pain... Are you going to be getting it back and running again?

I hope so. If there is a god... it'll be something really simple and easily remedied. I'll know more Tuesday afternoon when I talk to my tech.

Well the news is not good. My tech opened up the top end and the two middle pistons are pooched. He said that he could move them around with his finger.
He also said my intake manifold was full of oil which doesn't surprise me given the amount of oil I have removed from all my charge pipes and intercooler over the last month or so. I told him to hold off on doing anything more until I have a chance to consider my options.

I can go deeper into debt and go ahead and upgrade my rods and pistons while the opportunity is there.
I can go deeper into debt and replace everything with stock and take my chances. (I'm running 7.5 psi.)
I can go lesser into debt and part out the turbo, replace everything with stock and go back to n/a...

(confused)

And I still don't know why my turbo is pushing oil out the compressor seals???

All I can say, is that you've gone to far to turn back now. But you will know what's best for you. Don't let some guy on the internet talk you into financial trouble. All I can say is that why take a chance? If you are going to go stock, you may as well sell it. You won't enjoy it any longer.

Back