The Progression of my V.1 Street Sleeper Turbo build

mspeedP5

Contributor
:
'02 Protege5
Hey all,
I just recently purchased the 1st Gen Street Sleeper kit from "MURDA" for my '02 P5. I am wondering if anyone has done up a detailed "How-To" for the install of this kit on the P5. I haven't been able to find anything so far, but then I may have just been looking in the wrong place...
Thanks,

Mark

Send an email to beau@**************************.com and we can forward you the instructions.

mspeedP5 said:
Hey all,
I just recently purchased the 1st Gen Street Sleeper kit from "MURDA" for my '02 P5. I am wondering if anyone has done up a detailed "How-To" for the install of this kit on the P5. I haven't been able to find anything so far, but then I may have just been looking in the wrong place...
Thanks,

Mark

Beau,
I have a concern with the mounting tab on the FMIC. The weld is starting to crack on one side of the tab and I am afraid that it will eventually fail completely. Is there any reason why there weren't two (or more) tabs added to the unit, say one at each end, for a more secure fitment? I was thinking of doing this for my install.
Dcp_0008copy.jpg

Dcp_0007copy.jpg

P.S. I know you have been pretty busy of late, but I'm still waiting for those instructions and also the bolt specs... :)

Last edited:
It looks like the weld's bead didn't really grab the bracket much. Take it to a local welder and they can lay a few beads down for a couple of bucks.

YES! I'm about to start installing my 1st gen kit this weekend (if I can get over being sick). Good luck on your install!

Hehehe... patience is a virtue. Actually, I'm going to be meeting with the shop that's going to do the install/tuning for me tomorrow after my last club auto-x event. My only problem is that they are 2.5 hrs away from where I live, so we're still in the planning stages. It'll get done as soon as I get some of the loose ends dealt with (like the missing bolts for the down pipe/turbo/wastegate and cracked weld on the FMIC mounting tab).

So I'm looking at installing my FMIC and I come across these 2 plastic pieces attached to the back of the bumper that have a small tab that extends down below the bottom surface of the bumper. They interfere with mounting the core flush against the underside of the bumper. There has been no mention of cutting these off in any of the "How-To's" that I have seen for the FMIC install.
So what's the deal with these? I couldn't see any obvious need for them so... ?

(P.S. I put a sheet of white plastic in behind so it would be easier to see what I'm talking about)
PlasticTabs.jpg

PlasticTabsII.jpg

PlasticTabsIII.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the length of the oil supply line? I need to get one made up as it is missing from my kit.
Thanks,

Mark

brealmp3 said:
i would say it's probably about 4 feet long.

Thanks, but I was hoping for something a bit more definite... :)

On another note, here's how I addressed the cracked mounting tab issue on the FMIC. I still have to grind off some more of the old weld.

Dcp_0052copy.jpg

Dcp_0053copy.jpg

I'll feel a lot more secure with the additional support.

ok well sorry i couldn't get you an exact measurement. but just take a piece of rope and just run it from the oil sending unit on the back of the block near the filter to where the turbo will be about 8 inches out from the front of the block and just figure in some extra length for the slack.

Can anyone tell me what size fitting should fit this supply opening?

Dcp_0056copy.jpg

I tried a -4 AN Nipple and it doesn't fit... (scratch)

they have the feed lines, drain lines, gaskets, and fittings. you may just have to hunt. but i will go ahead and tell you that your not gonna find that fitting at any autoparts store. it is special order only from that site, or someone like www.goodridge.com, and i think summit or jegs has it also, but i got lucky and found a dealership that actually carried aeroquip and earl's fittings. but just fyi it can also be found under brake line fittings.

Okay thanks. I'm actually sourcing from an industrial machine shop that does mostly heavy-duty work and hydraulics. I'll try them tomorrow, they're just a couple of blocks away.

Did I f*** up the opening for the fitting trying to get that other part in? It looks like it chipped the edge of the opening away...

Dcp_0060copy.jpg

Dcp_0059copy.jpg

Back