The perfect ride?

purplengold

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech and I-ACTIV
Is there such a thing? I think so. The CX5 is everything I wanted in a magic carpet and more. I drove my Honda Element for 8 years and 170K miles. It was awesome but it was weak and 2WD. I loved how rugged it was and how customizable the seat configuration was. But I always wanted more. Moving from SoCal. to Colorado I experienced vastly different winter driving conditions. Plain and simple I had some crazy icy sliding close calls. It was time for something safer and more economical. The Element was at about 18-20 mpg for me. I chose the CX5 based solely on looks, mpg and user reviews of the AWD and handling. I am completely blown away by how smooth and grippy this car is on the road. I drove through a heavy snow storm recently without the slightest slip. I got the 2016.5 GT AWD fully loaded with the black leather. For me it is the perfect ride.

There are those who have valid complaints about some of the little annoyances. I try to approach life by not letting the little things matter so much. I've had to mod a few things on my CX5 but I feel that all I'm doing is making things more comfy for myself. I enjoy being able to overcome any and every obstacle that is placed before me. I just ordered some low-profile rear headrests from japanparts.com. It's funny that I drove pretty much the entire 170k on my Element with the rear head rests removed. It's cool as hell that there is an option out there for low-pro. I'm a little jealous of Japan's access to cool parts though.

Is there such a thing? I think so. The CX5 is everything I wanted in a magic carpet and more. I drove my Honda Element for 8 years and 170K miles. It was awesome but it was weak and 2WD. I loved how rugged it was and how customizable the seat configuration was. But I always wanted more. Moving from SoCal. to Colorado I experienced vastly different winter driving conditions. Plain and simple I had some crazy icy sliding close calls. It was time for something safer and more economical. The Element was at about 18-20 mpg for me. I chose the CX5 based solely on looks, mpg and user reviews of the AWD and handling. I am completely blown away by how smooth and grippy this car is on the road. I drove through a heavy snow storm recently without the slightest slip. I got the 2016.5 GT AWD fully loaded with the black leather. For me it is the perfect ride.

Just curious, what kind of mileage is the CX-5 giving you? I'm pulling down around 23mpg 70hwy/30 city.

Just curious, what kind of mileage is the CX-5 giving you? I'm pulling down around 23mpg 70hwy/30 city.

Damn that's rough. I'm about 50/50 and average 27-28 currently. I hovered around 26.5-27 in the middle of winter. Check your tire pressure.

You must have a heavy foot. I get 23mpg with 20hwy/80city and I am still in the break in period

Not really. It's just what the vehicle gets. Like I've said before, all my other vehicles met their EPA ratings. I will say though, I do drive 70-80. Like I always have.
If this thing didn't take 87 octane, though, I'd be pretty pissed that I didn't just get something with a V8 again.

Damn that's rough. I'm about 50/50 and average 27-28 currently. I hovered around 26.5-27 in the middle of winter. Check your tire pressure.

Vehicle is in great shape, relatively new tires, rotated on schedule, and pressure is at the recommended. It just is what it is when you drive 70-80 on the freeway, and live in an area with a lot of slow elevation changes.

Vehicle is in great shape, relatively new tires, rotated on schedule, and pressure is at the recommended. It just is what it is when you drive 70-80 on the freeway, and live in an area with a lot of slow elevation changes.

Well, that's what 80 will do to you. I drive 70 all the time and get my stated gas mileage. Biggest thing is acceleration and anticipating red lights. Driving as if you have no brakes. Not only will your gas mileage improve, but your brakes will last much longer. Fortunately the cx5 is imo, inexpensive to fill up. It's only a couple bucks more than my old 13 Elantra.

Well, that's what 80 will do to you. I drive 70 all the time and get my stated gas mileage. Biggest thing is acceleration and anticipating red lights. Driving as if you have no brakes. Not only will your gas mileage improve, but your brakes will last much longer. Fortunately the cx5 is imo, inexpensive to fill up. It's only a couple bucks more than my old 13 Elantra.

Agreed. Don't have but 2-3 redlights thought.

For me, it is pretty close to the perfect ride...

I like the utility of hatchbacks best, and so far that has only ever been surpassed by the Mazda5 van.

Add in the AWD and class leading fuel economy, and not to mention the great driving dynamics...and the smart interior becomes just the icing on the cake.

For myself, my perfect design would be a vehicle that was just a little more car like, and perhaps 25% more HP...

My car is telling 25mpg average. I only have about 750 miles on it.

For me, it is pretty close to the perfect ride...

I like the utility of hatchbacks best, and so far that has only ever been surpassed by the Mazda5 van.

Add in the AWD and class leading fuel economy, and not to mention the great driving dynamics...and the smart interior becomes just the icing on the cake.

For myself, my perfect design would be a vehicle that was just a little more car like, and perhaps 25% more HP...

With more horses usually comes less mpg. But yeah if I could have anything without losing something else it would be more HP. Since we're asking now I would want a bluray player in the dash and be able to watch movies on the infotainment screen. Of course only while parked at some amazing mountain spot with a view.

There are those who have valid complaints about some of the little annoyances. I try to approach life by not letting the little things matter so much. I've had to mod a few things on my CX5 but I feel that all I'm doing is making things more comfy for myself. I enjoy being able to overcome any and every obstacle that is placed before me. I just ordered some low-profile rear headrests from japanparts.com. It's funny that I drove pretty much the entire 170k on my Element with the rear head rests removed. It's cool as hell that there is an option out there for low-pro. I'm a little jealous of Japan's access to cool parts though.

Cars are so complex these days that I don't think you can get around the little annoyances. Hell, I had my transmission replaced and I still get a kick out of driving it. Hitting close to 51k miles and it's still a thrill.

I get 21 mpg in the city because it is a stop and go parking lot. For reference, I hit 30 lights and 7 stop signs on my trip to work and 24 lights and 7 stop signs on my return trip (it is somewhat depressing that I just counted).

I get around 29-30 mpg on aggressive mountain highways, should be even higher on a decent flat interstate.

Agressive mountains don't hurt my mileage. It's the long gradual inclines over miles and miles.

I was more referring to the rather spirited performance on behalf of the driver. :D The inclines are killer though, there is a long climb out of Kelowna here in BC that does a number on the car. I have to say I much preferred that climb in the V6 Escape I rented prior to buying a CX-5.

The Ford Taurus SHO has amazing acceleration and handling. But I still feel like I'm driving a grandma car in it. That feeling I get when driving my CX5 is unlike it is with any other ride. I just found this article on Mazda's new environmentally friendly paint process in another forum on mazdas247.com and it also enforces my pride of ownership. This is so rad. http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/other/paint_tech/

Not perfect for everyone. For me... the perfect daily driver. I checked out everything in the category. Some were close until you factored in driving dynamics. Nothing in this price range comes close. You literally forget there is an small suv with decent cargo space behind you. Might remember if I did shoulder checks. No need. Blind spot monitoring!

Not perfect for everyone. For me... the perfect daily driver. I checked out everything in the category. Some were close until you factored in driving dynamics. Nothing in this price range comes close. You literally forget there is an small suv with decent cargo space behind you. Might remember if I did shoulder checks. No need. Blind spot monitoring!

Sounds like a recipe for a "Wrecked my CX5..." thread. I suggest you stop using technology as a crutch, and perform an organic confirmation.

Where I work, all of the drugs are scanned, and there are multiple electronic insurances to prevent wrong patient/wrong drug/wrong dose situations...but failures still occur, and people have no clue how/why. It's because a machine is only as good as what a PERSON told it to be. You need to double-check that person. I came from a system that did not scan anything. 100% organic confirmation. I still confirm all the drugs I administer visually, and with a dose of common-sense + education as to the patient condition.

My BSM system says that concrete barriers a healthy distance from me are "a threat". They are not. Similarly, it has missed some vehicles (motorcycles) that fall within "threat" distance of a lane-change.

Just my PSA for the day: If you can't see as well as your car, you shouldn't be driving. If you can see better than your car, you're negligent if you don't look. "I'm so sorry, my BSM should have gone off..." is pretty weak when you're apologizing to the kids after running their dad and his bike off the road.

I suppose I take the time to type all of this for several reasons near and dear to me.

1) I know people who ride. Drivers that don't look have injured and killed some good friends of mine. BSM systems are not foolproof.
2) I love good gear. I really do. Even the best gear, though, is completely worthless in the face of organic ineptness.

Last edited:
I suggest you stop using technology as a crutch, and perform an organic confirmation. Even the best gear, though, is completely worthless in the face of organic ineptness.

"Technology as a crutch". "Organic ineptness". Give me a break.

Driving, performance, and racing school. More years than I care to share being a small roadster on highways full of large vehicles and distracted drivers. I know about proximity and blind spots. I spent 4+ years with a military aerobatic team. I assume you know how to position mirrors for blindspot coverage? Most don't. It's worked for me for over 35 years. The little warning light is simply a bonus.

Besides, even an organic shoulder check doesn't reveal all that great cargo space you forget is back there.

Last edited:
"I'm so sorry, my BSM should have gone off..." is pretty weak when you're apologizing to the kids after running their dad and his bike off the road.

I know people who ride. Drivers that don't look have injured and killed some good friends of mine. BSM systems are not foolproof.

I have friends who ride. Years ago I was knocked off a Harley by someone running a stop sign. I've also seen a lot of idiots that shouldn't be anywhere near a bike creating deadly situations on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Back