The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Fact and truth.

Edit: I was noticing from 10A and 10B that the GTD and GTLM cars were carrying more speed through the turns and had to slow down for the Prototypes.......

It was only when they went over the hill did they gain speed and power past them.

Likely due to what the Nonamakers had told us about those cars. The Prototypes have all their aero help in a straight line, so they have to do all their braking in a straight line. They can't trail brake like they could in GT cars. Similar with acceleration.

Need storage wheels and tires for my miata. 4x100 14-16" don't care what they look like just as long as the tires hold air. I'm in Medina, OH so within reason for cheap wheels.

I've got some OEM 16's with tires f/s for $250 OBO but the distance might kill it.

I am pretty sure that Speed was owned/operated by Fox so they probably have the same production crews. I think the problem lies with IMSA's greed, thus more advertising time and less coverage. The prototypes are supposed to be the end all be all of U.S sports car racing so they have the lions share of the coverage even without the side by side racing that goes on in the GT classes.

The Japanese grand prix ended on a very sad note.

In other news, we took the CX5 to get the front door glass tinted to match the rest of the windows and add a band of tint on the top of the windshield.

I am pretty sure that Speed was owned/operated by Fox so they probably have the same production crews. I think the problem lies with IMSA's greed, thus more advertising time and less coverage. The prototypes are supposed to be the end all be all of U.S sports car racing so they have the lions share of the coverage even without the side by side racing that goes on in the GT classes.

There might be some common personnel but Fox is no longer using the Speed studios in North Carolina so I wouldn't bet on it.

From my sources, the Speed Production Teams were let go for the most part and replaced with the NASCAR Production Teams, i.e Senior Producers, etc. I agree with the whole greed part with IMSA, as it was not only felt by the teams, but fans as well! We used to do a lot with IMSA/ALMS, but they were charging $1100 for parade laps, whereas Grand-Am charged nothing at all!

Until they get a B O P ( Balance of Performance) for DP's and the P2 Classes it is will still basically be a DP Dominant Series and even more teams will leave, i.e. Giansco, Muscle Milk jusgt to name a few......

That sucks. Does that leave just the Vettes as the lone 'Merican make in the GTLM class?
I have a feeling that's not the last team to leave this off season. Micheal Shank might run a limited schedule next year and is rumored to be shifting towards Indy Car.
I think some production people went to NBCSN when F1 went there. It's just not as good.

Michale Shank is also looking at the P2 Class with Ford's backing as well....as he put it @ Petit, it comes down to Sponsorship. I know that they NBCSN got Leigh Diffy as there lead annoucer and that was a loss for FOX

Michale Shank is also looking at the P2 Class with Ford's backing as well....as he put it @ Petit, it comes down to Sponsorship. I know that they NBCSN got Leigh Diffy as there lead annoucer and that was a loss for FOX
P2 would make sense as well. I know he's not happy with IMSA and the cost of running a DP. He's made that clear in a couple of interviews and on Facebook.

From my sources, the Speed Production Teams were let go for the most part and replaced with the NASCAR Production Teams, i.e Senior Producers, etc. I agree with the whole greed part with IMSA, as it was not only felt by the teams, but fans as well! We used to do a lot with IMSA/ALMS, but they were charging $1100 for parade laps, whereas Grand-Am charged nothing at all!

Until they get a B O P ( Balance of Performance) for DP's and the P2 Classes it is will still basically be a DP Dominant Series and even more teams will leave, i.e. Giansco, Muscle Milk jusgt to name a few......

Unlike you I have no sources just my gut feeling. You would have much better info than I do.
I for one do not like the DP/Corvette prototype class. Aside from Ganassi and Shank the Corvette is all there is. I wish there was more diversity. Oh ya I almost forgot that Mazda is in DP too, it's easy to forget about them since they run so few laps most of the time and are never a factor. Sad really.

Unlike you I have no sources just my gut feeling. You would have much better info than I do.
I for one do not like the DP/Corvette prototype class. Aside from Ganassi and Shank the Corvette is all there is. I wish there was more diversity. Oh ya I almost forgot that Mazda is in DP too, it's easy to forget about them since they run so few laps most of the time and are never a factor. Sad really.

Since Mazda only runs a 2.2L 4 cylinder I thought they would be in P2. I haven't followed enough to know if they would even be competitive in that class either.

Not sure if this was brought up before, but why not make the DP's and Prototypes their own separate classes? Too much ego about which should be the top class?

The series as a whole still wants to maintain the close relationship with the ACO, and because of this I see the Daytona Prototypes going away completely in 4-5 years, if not sooner. The intent of the rules as they are now was to allow teams to use as much of the existing hardware as possible. Now that they've done that, they'll start steering things on a course that more closely follows the European rules.

Case in point, GTD adopting European GT3 rules in 2016. ;) Much to the dismay of the teams that purchased brand new purpose built Porsche GT Daytonas for this past season.

Edit: If the DPs don't go away completely, the next generation of the car will fit nicely within whatever the European rules are going to be at the time. Everybody wins in a scenario like that... American teams can go compete at Le Mans and the cars could be sold to European teams competing in ELMS or the WEC.

Last edited:
Since Mazda only runs a 2.2L 4 cylinder I thought they would be in P2. I haven't followed enough to know if they would even be competitive in that class either.

Not sure if this was brought up before, but why not make the DP's and Prototypes their own separate classes? Too much ego about which should be the top class?

Mazda has worked through some of there issues, whereas they were 12-13% off of the leading DP's times, they lowered it to 3%. The transmission issues have been resolved and a new head design has been developd to help with the oil cooling issues that have plagued the 51% stock componet motor. Expect more boost than the current 70psi (35psi for each turbo) going forward in 2015 and a few other updates during the upcoming testing within the next few weeks.

If you remember it took a couple of years for the RX-8's to become competitive and Mazda does all of their testing and development "On Track". I expect noticable improvement next year

Back