The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

I agree but E85 is much easier to find then Methanol. I'm all about what's best for my wallet though. If it's cheaper to run a tank of E85 than 87 (which has only happened a couple of times) then that's what is being put in the tank.
A lot of people who run methanol injection use windshield wiper cleaner since it contains methanol. The important part is to get stuff that doesn't have a lot of other added chemicals. Alternatively you could just inject water. It serves the same purpose, just less cooling ability than ethanol or methanol.

My bet is that for day-to-day driving it would be a wash. Yeah, it's cheaper but you get worse fuel economy from it and depending on where you live you have to drive farther to fill up. So unless you have stake in corn growth I wouldn't bother.

I've run an e23 mix in my car for 90k+ miles. I use the corn strictly for knock protection and spray 2000 cc/min of 99% methanol for auxiliary fueling. Gas mileage is fine, especially with having a larger turbo (pte 5862). I got 29.4 mpg hand calculated the way home from tail of the Dragon cruising at 80+ the whole way.

I didn't run lean cruise that whole trip.

But the difference between straight 93 and my little e23 mix is on 93, was limited to 11.5* timing advance at 7500rpm, vs 16.5* at 7500rpm with e23. E85 works wonders in a DI boosted car.

I've run an e23 mix in my car for 90k+ miles. I use the corn strictly for knock protection and spray 2000 cc/min of 99% methanol for auxiliary fueling. Gas mileage is fine, especially with having a larger turbo (pte 5862). I got 29.4 mpg hand calculated the way home from tail of the Dragon cruising at 80+ the whole way.

Why not just bump up the methanol injection and use it for knock protection as well? You shouldn't need knock protection while cruising. A lot of the big turbo (and I mean BIG TURBO) RX7 guys with 500+ whp run some combination of water and methanol injection tied to boost pressure and/or engine speed. The fancier ECU's can even tie it into knock detection and EGT.

But the difference between straight 93 and my little e23 mix is on 93, was limited to 11.5* timing advance at 7500rpm, vs 16.5* at 7500rpm with e23. E85 works wonders in a DI boosted car.
My point is methanol is better a knock prevention the ethanol. Why not use it for knock prevention in boost and just add extra 93 octane?

It's funny how much the MS3/6 community has embraced E85. Most rotary guys hate it.

The meth kit sho uses has nozzles. It just sprays. It's not like an injector. The pump turns on and then meth shoots out the nozzles. He is already spraying at the top end of what that kit can handle. There are kits out there that can spray more but they are about a grand. When you can just use the ethanol to bump the octane and then use the meth for more fuel and be on the much cheaper end of everything.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Why not just bump up the methanol injection and use it for knock protection as well? You shouldn't need knock protection while cruising. A lot of the big turbo (and I mean BIG TURBO) RX7 guys with 500+ whp run some combination of water and methanol injection tied to boost pressure and/or engine speed. The fancier ECU's can even tie it into knock detection and EGT.

My point is methanol is better a knock prevention the ethanol. Why not use it for knock prevention in boost and just add extra 93 octane?

It's funny how much the MS3/6 community has embraced E85. Most rotary guys hate it.
We don't have the ability to upgrade our Injectors and
Because corn is the elixir of life for a boosted car.

Example, on stock turbo and 93 octane, I made around 275whp and 300tq. On a 4 gallon e85 and 8 gallon 93 octane mix, 320/360.

On my 5858 when I was stock block we didn't even make a straight 93 octane map, as the block had 124k on it, and one bad tank of gas and zzb was imminent. On a e23 mix and 22psi I was at 380/350 and completely maxed out the stock fueling system.

Once I went built motor and to the pte 5862, I added the meth kit that sprays Pre throttle body because it was cheaper than adding 6th port (2 port injection Injectors spraying Pre throttle body). since we don't have actual DI Injector upgrades for the ms3/6, the 2000cc/min of meth I'm spraying gives me just enough additional fuel to run 28psi and the meth kit is pushed to near its limit.

Plus meth is a lot more expensive than e85. My meth only sprays at 10psi and higher and is on a progressive controller. Spraying 400cc/min at 10 pounds of boost and 2000cc/min at 28 pounds of boost. 5 gallons lasts me over a month.

We don't have a standalone ecu that works. We are limited by what Cobb has to offer at the moment with recalibrating the stock ecu. Which means 400whp or slightly less is the most we can make on the stock fueling system pushing 100% Injector duty cycle, and it usually takes some e85 to even come close to 400whp. Or your choice of 3 fueling methods if you want to make more more than 400whp. (I'm around 450-460)

1: methanol injection either Pre throttle body or at the intake manifold (as much as your kit can handle)

2. 6th port (4 stock Injectors plus 2 PI Injectors spraying Pre throttle body in any size you want (1000cc to 2200cc Injectors usually) + an upgraded in tank pump)... 6 total Injectors. Corn is mixed in tank because of low cost, ease of fill up and minimal reduction in mpg, as MBT can be reached between 3-6 gallons of total corn, and rest 93 octane.

3. PI kit (4 stock Injectors plus 4 PI Injectors spraying at the intake manifold + and upgraded in tank pump)... 8 total Injectors. Corn is mixed in tank because of low cost, ease of fill up and minimal reduction in mpg, as MBT can be reached between 3-6 gallons of total corn and rest 93 octane.

With options 2 and 3, you don't need a separate tank. Just mix your e85 and 93 and the additional Injectors are controlled separately with a split second controller and the stock Injectors are scaled to fuel at a constant rate once a certain maf voltage is reached via Cobbs software.

The Cobb software will also control all the rest of the stuff (timing, throttle tables, vvt, etc)

And not needing knock protection while cruising... That's a bit different as well. The ms3/6 ecu will advance timing til it sees knock during cruise and then pull it back. On 93 octane, it's common to see up to 7-8* of knock retard at part throttle as the ecu does its thing. On e23 (mix will vary by car and mods), I see zero KR, ever. Aside from a blip of 0.35* on spool up every now and then. Part throttle knock is very common and happens to damn near every ms3/6. So yes, it is needed. Again, a limitation of having to use the stock ecu and not having the standalone options everyone else has on other platforms.

And that's why you can't take an ms3/6 to any random place to get tuned. There's a handful of people that know these things inside and out, have tested and found the limitations and quirks that are ms3/6 specific, and that the community trusts to let them molest our ECU's.

Edit:

Newer boosted cars that are port injection love e85. Evo, sti, gtr , etc... Look at the fastest ones. If they're driven on the street, and making power, and not track only, they're using e85 in some capacity. Upgrade the Injectors and run Either a mix, or 100% depending on the tuning solution and/or hardware limitation. DI cars love it too. With meth injection, you always have it in the back of your mind "what if my meth tank runs dry?". A failsafe won't always save you in time. With e85, if fuel gauge isn't reading empty, you're likely good to go.

I've run an e85 mix between e23 and e33 for almost 100k miles since April 2014 in my ms3 without using straight 93 in that time because it works.

Last edited:
Just got back from a trip to Virginia Beach in the new Edge. I think it got pretty good mileage considering it's bigger & heavier than my old focus & the Mazda 6i.

9aeeb4cc144e64d3381a2db3aff1374c.jpg

Not bad considering you're using regular too. Where did you find gas under $2? It's been over $2 in Columbus for a least a month.

I am in the burbs. I got the house in the subdivision with the picket fence. Only way I can get more suburban is if I bought a tan minivan.

I'm about 45 minutes west of Cleveland & gas is usually a lot cheaper than towards Cleveland. I thought it was getting bad when i just paid $2.29/gallon, lol

On the way to work this morning the engine felt like it would stumble a little at idle. As soon as I pull into a parking spot the check engine light came on. yay.

Headed back to Cinci for a couple days this week. Interestingly enough my rental is a 2016 Mazda3 Touring.

On the way to work this morning the engine felt like it would stumble a little at idle. As soon as I pull into a parking spot the check engine light came on. yay.

It went away after work but I stopped at O'Reilly's to have it checked. Misfire cylinder 4. Recommendation is checking the spark plug and coil pack. Josh gave me a set of spark plugs so I'll inspect the coil packs and replace as necessary.

Back