The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Get your ride figured out Nate?

The car has been running fine, nothing like it was when it came on. I forgot to grab the lube stuff for the plugs so I had them check the code again and it wasn't there. Still gonna change them whenever I get time but house projects have taken all my time.

Finally got my summer wheels on.

It's been a long time since I've been on here! How's everyone been? I'm sad to say that I am no longer part of the Mazda family. I inherited my dad's Subaru Impreza, so now it is time to say goodbye to my old P5. If anyone is in the market for one with 104k miles and a little rust (obviously) let me know. I really don't want to make a parts car out of her :(

Started to get some hesitation on acceleration in wagon like when I had the code last week and had sometime for wrenching.

Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and added a cabin filter in Amber's escape in preparation for a road trip next weekend. No Mid-Ohio again :( When I looked up how to change the cabin filter I found out Ford didn't bother installing them at the factory unless it's the Hybrid model.

I rolled 100k in the wagon and also changed the oil and the oil filter then all the fun began. I got a engine code about a month ago for misfire in cylinder 4 but then it went away until earlier this week I started getting hesitation on acceleration. So the original plan was to change the plugs, coil packs, and install a used cold air intake and throttle body spacer. I bought the CAI used and the seller threw in the spacer for $10 bucks so I figured why not? It's $80 on steeda's website. Took off the stock air box and the hose between the box and throttle body had a giant crack in it right after the maf sensor. Possible cause of my issue? With everything out, time for the spacer install. Right when I was on the last bolt of the straight forward 10 minute install, my wife thought it would be funny to yell like something bad happened and I'm needed inside immediately. In my reaction the wrench slips off the bolt, my hand goes down into the engine bay and breaks a nipple on a T connection on the coolant system and coolant gushes out. Yay. Found a universal T in the same shape with slightly different sizes at the 3rd parts store I tried. The first one I tried was designed for Fords but had the wrong orientation and the hoses didn't have enough slack to make it work. so the 10 minute job turned into 3 hour job. Everything should be simple from here right? Nope. the instructions I was following from Injen's site didn't quite have everything in them. It wasn't hard to figure out what they left out, just took some extra time and realization I didn't receive everything from the seller. With the pipe in and everything else connected and secured, the last step was pop on the filter. I bought a new filter since the used one was beyond saving and I knew that when purchasing. Again I used Injen's instructions/website to purchase the filter at the same time I purchased the CAI. Of course it didn't fit. Not even close. The filter was 3" and the end of the pipe was 3 1/2". I don't know what version of the CAI I received but it definitely isn't the one they have listed on their website now. So one more trip back to O'Rielly's at 8:30 pm for a Spectre filter just so I can button everything back up and call it a day and do the plugs and coil packs on a different day. Mission finally accomplished. Good news is, no more hesitation, no CEL (will check later today to see if it's really cleared). Butt dyno likes the results (supposedly 5-6 hp) and there's a more noticeable growl around 3500 rpm and up.

tr;dl - 2 hour job takes all afternoon.

Wrenching rule of thumb: however long you expect a job to take, double it. I spent 3 hours doing a transmission fluid drain and refill and PTU and rear differential oil changes on the Flex last weekend. It would've taken much less time had Ford actually designed drain plugs in their PTU and rear differential. The Flex has the same AWD system as the CX-9 and the PTU holds an insanely small amount of oil so failures are common above 50k miles. I changed mine at 40k and fortunately it still looked pretty good. I plan on doing another transmission fluid drain and refill and PTU change in the next 1000 miles or so just I know I have ~75% new oil in there.

Right now I'm giddy as hell because my new toy gets delivered tonight.

I planned on extra time, just not that much extra and having to run to the store at all.

It's even auto x/racing season. I was waiting to hear phen's excuses this year. I did see his Facebook post about his brakes, lol

sport model I take it. Seats leave a lot to be desired.

I've never been a fan of Mazdas & Fords interiors like that. Like the headliner is tan, dash is black & the seats are tan. Never understood it

Not a fan of the tan?
Nope. Shows too many stains and I have kids.
I've never been a fan of Mazdas & Fords interiors like that. Like the headliner is tan, dash is black & the seats are tan. Never understood it

Me either. I always thought it was weird in the MSP and the 6 is like that too but doesn't seem as bad.

I agree with both of you, although after staring at the color combination for years in cars has made it less bothersome. (lol2)

Wife's car is going to be in big trouble next year. She's got tan cloth and carpeting. :(

Nah. It'll be fine for next 2ish years, pretty much all the mess will be contained to their seat. It's when their forward facing and able but not always capable of holding their own cup and snacks is when the messes really happen. And they make mats and all sorts of other stuff you get to learn about now ;)

Nah. It'll be fine for next 2ish years, pretty much all the mess will be contained to their seat. It's when their forward facing and able but not always capable of holding their own cup and snacks is when the messes really happen. And they make mats and all sorts of other stuff you get to learn about now ;)

Happy to hear any more advice. We're also open to donations. (lol2)

Happy to hear any more advice. We're also open to donations. (lol2)

I can donate two kids to practice with for a night :) both potty trained too so you don't have to worry about diapers

Back