The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

EPA ratings seem to be off these days. IIRC the Protege with the 2.0L was 25/30 mi/gal city/highway and even when turbocharged I had no problem hitting 30+ mi/gal on the highway. I've gotten nearly 40 mi/gal out of my 2 on a trip to MI and our Jetta TDI gets pretty much exactly the stated fuel economy. That being said I have to damn near hypermile to get the EPA-estimated highway fuel economy in the Flex. Overstating fuel economy must be an America/Korean car thing.

Ok, I need some troubleshooting help here, and some of you are familiar with the 6 platform, or enough in general I hope to get ideas.

When assembling the 6's motor two summers ago, the crank spun freely on its own. With the rods, pistons, new rings, etc... it spun freely, but the rings were tight (but sized correctly) and sealed great.
I put the head on it, and there were no piston to head contact.
Timed up the cam, spun freely, but tightly, as the compression felt great.
Put the flywheel and clutch on, and was still able to spin it by hand.
Bolted the transmission on and put it in the car. Didn't check if it spun freely.
Now, it wouldn't turn over, it cranked hard, and stopped at peak compression on each cycle. I since replaced the starter and put a new battery in, and the same thing is happening.

Think the transmission could be pinched somehow? Any other ideas?

How many amps/volts are you getting at the starter? Perhaps there's an issue getting enough power to the starter so it doesn't have the strength to turn the motor past the compression stroke? Does the car have a manual transmission - can you turn the engine with the transmission in gear? That should tell you if it's something with the transmission.

Hey, if anyone wants to join the very elite "Phen & Jess Abarth Club", I can hook you up. (lol2)

Can I have 2? Black is the rarest color (until we hear back about the grey) they made. Something like 300 made in 2013. How much, just out of curiousity?

Those tire racks are sweet and a good use of space. But knowing my luck mine would break and roll my spare wheels across the garage taking out everything on their way right into the side of Fatty...

Just make some out of some 2x4's and screws for $15, no?

Those tire racks are sweet and a good use of space. But knowing my luck mine would break and roll my spare wheels across the garage taking out everything on their way right into the side of Fatty...

Just make some out of some 2x4's and screws for $15, no?

You might be on to something

Patrick and Evan were giving me hard time for the amount of random things I have bookmarked the other day... well here is one of those things:
DIY tire rack

Back