the mazda 2.3L oil issue

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
ok so i was just googling this car today while bored and i have stumbled across some interesting stuff. supposedly the 2.3L motors have an issue with oil burning at a sudden and quick pace that can lead to premature catastrophic engine damage if not caught in time. from what i can tell the 08 and up 2.3L are not affected but i am not sure about this i have read many posts on other forums stating their engines blew at low mileage with no warning given(oil burn smoke, noticeable leaks or oil pressure light) and that when checked oil was fine one day and down 3ish quarts 2-7 days later my car is a 2.3L hatchback built in 10/07 (08 model) with 77,500 miles can anyone elaborate on this further and explain anything to me about why/how it happens and if my date of manufacture can be affected by this issue?
(as i have not seen any forums or boards/sites about this issue mention the 08s or 09s)

reading all this concerns me and many were saying that mazda did not acknowledge that there was an issue outside of improper maintenance even when full records were provided to the contrary.
i do all my own maintenance and therefore consider myself pretty car savvy/ and i am concerned about a car that i paid a decent amount of money for will fail on me prematurely while i still owe on it. and that i will be left with a worthless car that i still have to pay off.

When the PCV valve goes bad, it can cause sudden and signficant oil consumption...from what I've read and heard over the years. I've always replaced the PCV valve in my other cars on a regular schedule (just like spark plugs and air filter(s)). But replacing it on the 1st gen Mazda3 requires removing the intake manifold and it's not a quick or easy job.

Still, if you're going to have to replace it at some point anyway, I'd rather replace it before it fails.....rather than hoping to catch a sudden increase in oil consumption!

yeah, we can thank ford for that design. ford designed the top end of this motor mazda built the block. ford also put the thermostat right above the alternator which is stupid as well. but hey so far ive had mine for 8 months and 7,000 miles and its run just fine, the thermostat failed but that happens to 99.9% of cars at some point so i cannot complain. the sunroof had an issue but i think i was part of the cause as i put a system in and when it got stuck i discovered 5 screws missing that held the motor and the regulator in for the sunroof. i got that fixed and blue threadlocked the bolts so they would not come loose again unless i break them free. the only thing that baffles me is the screws that were missing from my sunroof were never found, they did not fall out of the headliner and they were not in the headliner. and after researching the 07 08 and 09 models all seem to have a common issue with sunroof screws mysteriously gone. i almost think the screws were never in the sunroof from the factory. (the sunroof comes prebuilt on the roof panel to mazda so the manufacturer of the sunroof did not properly bolt down everything.) when i heard a rattle i looked under the headliner to see and found the 2 screws in the liner gone, so i replaced them and thats when the motor quit functioning 2 weeks later. then i found 2 of the 3 screws holding the sunroof motor were gone and the other was loosely hanging in the motor. after putting screws in the motor to hold it into place it started working again just like it should have.

Back