The Hip Hop/ Rap / R&B Album Review Thread

yashart_mp3

:
Black Mica MS3
IF YOU DO NOT LIKE RAP OR HIP-HOP, PLEASE LEAVE NOW. TAKE YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS ELSEWHERE!!!

Now that I got that out of the way, we can begin.

I am HUGE hip-hop and rap fan. I love all quality music, but hip-hop is my fortay. I can listen to just about anything, mainstream to underground, rock to rap, pop to jazz, just no country :) Anywho, I thought it would be cool to see what other people think of artists albums. I have my idea of what good music is, and what albums are hot or not, but I want to see what other HIP-HOP fans think.... Post up your own thought/ reviews on albums or artist in general ( just please no "Kanye is a racist bastard, yada yada yada non-sense")

So to start things off....today, 50 Cent and Kanye's album came out.

How I rate: 0= Skip to the next track, 5= not bad, not good, OK background music, 10= on repeat

50Cent_Curtis.jpg

50 Cent: Curtis
Overall Score 6/10

At first listen, my thoughts are: "blah". I had much higher expectations for this album, especially considering his last 2 albums were pretty good. The album just doesn't do it for me. No deep lyrics, a few catchy beats, and the same "ol' shoot em' up s***". I was hoping for something a little different this go round. Outside of that, his singles were the better songs on the track - which wasnt the case on his other albums... Is 50 running out of ideas?

1. Intro = 3/10 - Rather pointless
2. My Gun Go Off = 5/10
3. Man Down = 3/10 - censored tracks on a uncensored album?!!? Chorus is boring. same shoot em' up theme from track 2
4. I'll Still Kill = 6/10 - decent beat, Akon saves the chorus, same shoot em' up theme in tracks 2 and 3, just to a catchier beat.
5. I Get Money = 8.5/10- Hot beat, good flow, Good club track
6. Come & Go = 5/10
7. AYO Technology = 9/10 - catchy lyrics, another great timberland beat, Good flow, JT works his magic on the chorus, soon to be overplayed on the radio
8. Follow My Lead = 6.5/10 - ladies track, poor lyrics, decent beat, would have expected more from this calabo (Robin Thicke)
9. Movin On Up = 5/10
10. Straight to the Bank = 6.5/10 - Overplayed on the radio, nothing spectacular
11. Amusement Park = 7/10 - catchy, but a spin off from magic stick. also overplayed on the radio
12. Fully Loaded Clip = 4.5/10 - diss track, but a lame one at that
13. Peep Show = 5.5/10
14. Fire = 7/10 - catchy beat, good hook, appropiate lyrics, a nice change of flow in the album
15. All Of Me = 8/10 - Much better ladies track. Mary J holds it down, good lyrics, nice beat
16. Curtis 187 = 6/10
17. Touch the Sky = 6.5/10

Once again, "blah". Not really good music. It doesnt feel like he put very much effort into this album. He more-or-less followed the formula to making a decent album, and did just that- made a decent album. I listen to every album front to back non-stop, as to give everything a fair chance... but with this cd, I had to fight myself from pressing skip several times. I hope this isn't a sign of whats' to come from him in the future.

Also, after listening to this album, it only helps confirm my thoughts : Tony Yayo and young Buck are terrible "artists".

Last edited:
Thanks for the review I was actually going to go and buy those two albums today (plus gym class hereos) but I got off late from work.

I figured Kanye's would be a little better, I thinks he's more into making music where 50 is just making money now.

Hurry and post the Kanye review.

Urgh! Thanks for the warning.

50's previous albums have been very good, and i hate to hear reviews like this. Makes me think about if he's running the path of DMX. I love DMX' first 3 albums, and the rest took a s***. I had a feeling Kanye's Album would have better beats.....I'd like to hear about your review.

Kanyes' new album is good not the best, but good. I really liked Stonger/Can't Tell me Nothing/Good Morning/Big Brother/Homecoming.

50 Cents new album was sad IMHO

Aesop Rock- None Shall Pass
Anything by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
Mos Def
El-p
Zion-I Just some of what i listen to. I love music!

Kanye_West_Graduation.jpg

Kanye West: Graduation
Overall Score 9/10

After first picking up the album, I was a bit worried. The cartoon gaphics, and cardboard paper case (note, not a normal plastic case) had me a bit concerned. I wasnt sure if it was the actual album! But after opening it, there is a poster inside, track list, etc etc. Very different and creative, but what else would you expect from kanye. At first listen, I am really impressed. Another great album, and a much more mature album for him. Nothing but good music here.

1. Good Morning = 8/10 - Nice Intro, mellow beat
2. Champion = 9.5/10 - good beat, good lyrics
3. Stronger = 9/10 - catchy beat, much different sound, catchy but decent lyrics, soon to be overplayed on the radio
4. I Wonder = 8/10 - different sound, mellow beat, not a fan of the flow, but will probably grow on me
5. Good Life = 9.5/10- Another great beat. T-Pain rocks the chorus. Good flow. Winning combo here.
6. Can't Tell Me Nothing = 9/10 - more serious tone. good beat, good flow, good lyrics.
7. Barry Bonds = 7.5/10 - His cockiness really comes out in this one. Good beat & flow, decent verse from Lil Wayne
8. Drunk and Hot Girls= 6.5/10 - Probably the worst track on the album. Would have expected more from Kanye and Mos Def. Morbid beat, annoying chorus
9. Flashing Lights = 9/10 - great beat, mellow track, good lyrics, nice chorus
10. Everything I Am = 7.5/10 - laid back track, good lyrics
11. The Glory = 8/10
12. Homecoming = 9.5/10 - spinoff from an older track, just can't remember the name of the song right now. Classic song right here. Slow and mellow beat.
13. Big Brother = 8/10 - spinoff of "last call", talks about his beef with Jay-Z! Very interesting story. Had to listen to it twice! Shocking!

What can I say.... Kayne did the impossible, again. I didnt think it was possible for him to top what he has already done. Another great album! Great beats, catchy and witty lyrics as usual, great flow, and some nice appearances. Just good music with this album ( no funny joke tracks - aka "Workout Plan") Overall a great album.

Last edited:
If you liked Kanye Wests "Stronger" then you should listen to Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"

Thats where he got the music from.

If you liked Kanye Wests "Stronger" then you should listen to Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"

Thats where he got the music from.

Thats all Kanye ever does is "sample" other artists music to make his hits. LOL

Daft Punk is awesome though :)

50's previous albums have been very good, and i hate to hear reviews like this. Makes me think about if he's running the path of DMX. I love DMX' first 3 albums, and the rest took a s***. I had a feeling Kanye's Album would have better beats.....I'd like to hear about your review.

Agreed. What became of him? "It's Dark and Hell is Hot" was great, and he slid downhill from there...

Aesop Rock - None shall pass is really good. hes back with blockhead so the beats are on point.
El-P - I wont sleep till your dead is good too.

The 50 album was bad... It sounded all too similar to his previous albums but worse lyrically.

Kanye's was pretty good, he knows have to produce a hit. Stronger is def a good song esp since I enjoy the original. You have to admire the amount of music he exposes to crowds who might have never heard it otherwise.

Good Music:
Masta Ace: A long hot summer (Good story) & Slaughtahouse
Atmosphere: I like all his stuff, great stories.
Inspectah Deck: Uncontrolled Substance

All these have an old east coast vibe where lyrics trumped samples.

Common_Finding_Forever.jpg

Common: Finding Forever
Overall Score 8.5/10

The first thing I noticed picking up the album was the nice modern/contemporary album art. I came into this album with high expetations... At fist listen, I wasn't all the impressed. But after listening to it a few times, its grown on me a lot. Not his best work, but still a good album. Common delievers the good lyrics as always, to kanye's flair of beats.

1. Intro = 8/10 - short instrumental, mellow beat
2. Start the Show = 9/10 - good beat, good lyrics, great opening for the album
3. The People = 9.5/10
4. Drivin Me Wild = 8/10 - good lyrics, chorus and beat are a little on the annoying side
5. I Want You = 9.5/10- catchy but different beat, good lyrics, nice chorus, laid back but nice track
6. Southside = 6.5/10 - annoying chorus, otherwise nice flow , back-and-forth verses with kanye keep the track upbeat
7. The Game = 9.5/10 - raw hiphop beat, catchy hook and lyrics, great flow
8. U, Black Maybe= 9/10 - deep lyrics, nice message at the end of the track similiar to Def Poetry
9. So Far To Go = 7/10 - slow song, weak beat, doesn't flow with the album
10. Break My Heart = 8/10
11. Misunderstood = 9/10 - nice beat, good lyrics, one of my favorits on this album
12. Forever Begins = 8/10

Sound repetitive? GOOD LYRICS! Common always delivers good, well thought out lyrics. Kanye does a pretty good job of laying down the beats. No nonsense, just good music to soothe the ears. This is a very easy album to listen to...very easy on the ears. Like I said, not his best work, but definitely worth a listen.

Last edited:
Back