"The Grey Ghost" slays "The Dragon"

BillTheCat

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3 Sport
EDIT 5/9/09: Just uploaded a video to Youtube: Very first Dragon run in the MS3

I know the big Epic East Coast Mazda Meet (EECMM) is coming up in just a few weeks, but I had already made plans & reservation for MINIs ON The Dragon (MOTD) when I still owned my MINI Cooper S (MCS). And frankly, the MINI crowd is a LOT of fun, so MOTD is a riot. I took some good natured ribbing from some folks due to showing up in a Mazda, but all in good fun.

I knew going in that the MS3 would not handle like the MCS, especially since my MCS was not running a completely stock suspension (had springs & sway bars done). But I wondered how well it would do, and whether or not the power increase would make up for any shortcomings in handling on those twisty roads.

I was pleasantly surprised at how little body roll there actually was in the hardest twisties of US 129, aka "The Tail of the Dragon." The Dragon is pretty much the most challenging road in the area, but due to its extreme curves, is NOT a high speed road. But even at "low" speeds, most cars can quickly exceed their limits (same goes for the drivers) on this road.

I took my first run with some caution. Not only was it my first chance to put the MS3 (and those stock tires) thru the twisties, but I like to run the Dragon slowly in one direction so I can check for cops, accidents, 18-wheelers, and any road debris that might make for a hazardous drive. If all clear, then I have fun on the return trip.

Safety tip for EECMM attendees: There are some real jackhole hillbillies in the area who don't like sportbikes & sportscars. They have been known to toss cooking oil, laundry soap, ball bearings, sand, gravel, broken glass, motor oil, etc. out the back of their pick-em-up trucks on the Dragon in order to cause chaos & mangle the drivers who scare off the bears & boar they like to hunt in the area. Others will take the more civilized approach of simply driving the Dragon at 15 mph all the way across & refusing to pull off & let anyone pass. Annoying, but not dangerous.

The MS3 seemed to handle well on Run #1, but as I said, I was running it with caution. At the far end (Tabcat Bridge), I met a couple from Miami in an R56 (07+) MCS Turbo & offered to run video & drive behind them on the way back. It was her first trip to the Dragon, but not her first run. Still, I tried not to push her too hard, no tailgating, etc. (Always a bad idea, 10 times worse on roads like this) She ran it fairly well, and I'll post video over the weekend.

I didn't really have time to run it again on Day 1, so I waited for Day 2 to fire it up once more. Even then, I barely had enough free time to run it down & back before I had other events to join. In the interest of time, I skipped the part where I usually pull into the Crossroads of Time (Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort) to set up my video camera. I also got confused when a biker coming the other way at Beginner's End was shaking his fist at me- I hadn't crossed the double yellow or anything so WTF? AND, because I only had time to run it down & back once, I ignored my own rule about taking it easy in one direction.

Yep, I got nabbed by Blount County's Finest, just about a mile over the NC/TN state line. if I had stopped to set up video, my new friends in the R56 MCS would have warned me. Turns out, they jumped in their car to try & catch me before I got to the cop. And that biker shaking his fist? Yeah, he was actually knocking on his helmet- standard biker sign language for "Hey knucklehead, there's a cop back there." I knew that, but I did not process it at the time.

The cop got me for 61 in a 30, and all I could think was "Please don't take me to jail for going double the limit." Turns out he did me a solid. Instead of writing me for double the limit as a state speeding viiolation, as a cost of $250+, with insurance reports, points, etc., he wrote me for violating a county ordinance. <$50, no points, no insurance report. At that moment in time, I am pretty sure if I had crapped my pants, it would've smelled like lilacs after a Spring rain. I'll be framing & saving the violation, which I am henceforth referring to as "My Tail of the Dragon Certificate of Baptism." May I never have to nail a shredded piece of my vehicle to the Tree of Shame, so help me gawd.

I did get in some full speed runs later in the week, but by then, I had lent my CruiseCam mount to a friend, so there's no video. I did have a local in an R53 (02-06) MCS John Cooper Works follow me from Tabcat bridge to the Overlook one day. I stopped because I knew there was a cop somewhere up the road, and he pulled in behind me to ask WTF I was driving, because he couldn't keep up.

Whiptastic handling, meet Zoom-Zoom!!!

Honestly, the MINI is a lot easier to toss around in those tight curves. The MCS feels like a tank in comparison, weight-wise. Longer wheelbase hurts a little too. But don't get me wrong- it is still very nimble. And as long as you are smart about your gear selections, turbo lag is rarely an issue. I ran 95% of the 12 miles in 3rd gear, occasionally hitting 2nd for those uphill hairpins. I could probably have used 4th once or twice near the Overlook, where the twisties are less severe & speed can increase, but I just decided to let it rev most of the time. (Yeah, changing oil next week)

Now, on the Cherohala Skyway, the MS3 is in its element. The Cherohala is a 40 mile stretch of long sweeping curves & lots of elevation changes. I was playing "sweeper" in the back of the pack for that run, since I know it & won't get lost. Several times, I pulled over to take pics (I'll link a few) with the ulterior motive of letting the MINIs gain some ground so I could play high-speed catch-up. THAT was a frakking blast, even on Poortenzas!!!

I know I topped 30mpg on some of the interstate legs of my trip (Tampa to NC, about 600 miles). And on one partial tank (2.4 gallons) where I set cruise for 74mph & didn't run the A/C, I swear I got almost 40. But that had to be an anomaly- maybe I filled the neck of the tank more than the previous fill. I got as little as about 19-20mpg on the Dragon & Cherohala tanks, but again- since civilization is spread out up there, we're mostly talking about 1/2 tank fill-ups.

Oh, and I highly recommend the ~1991 remix of Queen's "Dragon Attack" as a good soundtrack for your Dragon runs. It's included on the Hollywood Records re-release of "The Game."

If anyone heading to EECMM has questions about the roads, the accomodations, attractions & sights to see, feel free to post here or PM me. This was my 6th annual trip to Deal's Gap, so I have gotten a pretty good idea of what's what up there.

I will offer up these points of Dragon etiquette, free of charge:

1- NEVER cross the double yellow line. NOT EVEN A LITTLE. Especially with sportbikes hurtling around every corner. Unless you feel like digging some guy's head out of your bumper because he was leaning across the line & you were kissing it, gawd forbid crossing it, JUST DON'T DO IT.

Motorcycle_Crash.gif

The REAL challenge of driving the Dragon isn't to finish in record time at all costs, but to finish without crossing the double yellow. Once you can manage that, then try to run it without using your brakes if you want a new challenge.

2- If you are running hard & come up on someone who isn't, DO NOT PUSH THEM. They'll know you are there. And if they are not asshats, they will pull off when there is room and let you pass. Wave to acknowledge their generosity & then continue having fun.

3- If you are running as fast as you can & someone faster comes up behind you, DO NOT PANIC. DO NOT SPEED UP. Find the nearest pull-off & let them pass. If they wave, wave back & smile, and when it is safe, pull back out & continue your run.

4- The Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort (aka Crossroads of Time) caters to motorcycles, almost exclusively. You will notice lots of tiny parking spaces there. PLEASE try not to park in the most convenient spaces, as they like to have those open for the bikers. You can park across 2-3 bike spaces (there's no other option), but do so down by the motel & walk back to the store. They'll notice & appreciate it. Oh, and they often limit fuel purchases to 4-6 gallons, as again, they cater to bikes. Get your fuel in Robbinsville- it's cheaper & you can fill all the way up.

5- There are at least 2 photography teams on US 129 most days. www.us129photos.com is one, and the other is www.killboy.com. Killboy is really the original, but both will post photos every few days on their web sites. When you see them on the side of the road, PLEASE keep paying attention to your driving. Don't cause an accident because you're trying to wave, moon them, flash your favorite gang sign, etc.

Finally... a couple of pics, all from the Cherohala Skyway. If you run the Skyway, the pull-off about 3/4 mile past Hooper's Bald (the bathroom/rest stop/trail head in pic #2) is the best spot for pics. The last pic here was taken at that spot. When you cross the road, you're below your car. Then, if you have time, which I did not, you can climb the hill & get a view looking down onto your car, and into the valley below. It's truly pimptastic photography material.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome write-up. It was really a joy to read and ironically, a friend of mine recently asked me about my interest in running the Dragon. Will keep your thoughts in mind!

very cool post... entertaining..

i bet it is a LOT of fun running the MS3 through it's paces on roads like that..

there are areas where i live where i get to do a few twisties (nothing like the dragon, though)... the run to mom and dad's is fun, but no up and down here in the flat part of texas.

maybe i need to make a trip up that way to see some of my family who live in virginia? :)

The cop got me for 61 in a 30, and all I could think was "Please don't take me to jail for going double the limit." Turns out he did me a solid. Instead of writing me for double the limit as a state speeding viiolation, as a cost of $250+, with insurance reports, points, etc., he wrote me for violating a county ordinance. <$50, no points, no insurance report.

i hope you played the lottery. (thumb)

good read, makes me wanna head back to NC. i went to school near there, western carolina u, but back then i was driving a 1976 chevy monza, so didn't experience driving pleasure like i would today. many twisties in that part of the world, including the blue ridge parkway. the devil's courthouse is a good spot to get back to nature. (drive)

are radar detectors illegal there?

No, but with all of the blind curves, they are nearly useless on the Dragon itself. And rather than have something clinging to my windshield that could become a projectile, I just toss it in the glove box while I am there. Calculated risk, I suppose.

Appreciate the comments, guys. It's really a beautiful area, and as remote as it is, there's plenty to see & do within an hour to 90 minutes' drive from Deal's Gap.

I honestly cannot wait to attack that road again with lighter wheels, sticky tires, a decent set of coilovers, and some stiff sway bars.

Glad to see someone not from the area who writes like he is. LOL

I'm one of the lucky locals who lives down the street from the dragon (@30-40min). Last thursday i got off at 5pm, met up with a few guys from a local car club, ran the dragon, then stopped by JCPenny's on the way home to p/u a sports blazer for a trip to Atlanta Friday. Not trying to rub it in or anything...HAHA!

If you get the chance to go to the dragon you WILL not be disappointed. Please read the ENTIRE excellent post Billthecat wrote. He def captures the excitement. LOL

Just please make sure to stay on your side of the road and take your time. There have been alot of people who have run this road way too fast with too little experience (including myself....i'll show you the scratches on the passenger side sideskirts when i overheated the brakes and ended up sideways in a ditch). This leads to more police in the area. The road is not going anywhere anytime soon and you can run it as many times as you like. Killboy is also good about taking pictures of the line crossers and calling them out on the front page of his website. Very embarrassing. LOL

Well said, OEM PLUS, and by the way, I hate you. Unless I get the job in Murphy that I just applied for, then we can be friends and neighbors & rub other people's noses in our Dragon proximity together for fun. Hehheh

Among the MINI crowd Dargon veterans, we all try to challenge ourselves to run the road as quickly as we can whiel staying within the rules of the road... except the speed limit. If any of us runs it so hard that we're crossing double yellow, we basically treat that like a disqualification. And I was serious when I mentioned trying to drive this road with as little brake action as possible--- not only is it a challenge, but it keeps your brakes frmo overheating & getting slushy.

I saw a MINI at Tabcat Bridge with its brakes actually smoking. And after a Midnight run, it is not unusual to see rotors glowing.

OH! I think I forgot to mention a cool little photo opp off the Cherohala Skyway. On the far end of the Cherohala, near Tellico Plains, TN, is a side road that's marked with a sign to indicate Bald River Falls. This falls is cool because the bridge across the river is just 50 yards or so in front of the falls themselves. You're technicaly not supposed to stop on the bridge, but the MINI club often sets up a camera & tripod & has their members line up & drive across, stopping only briefly on the bridge. If you make sure everyone stops in the exact same stpot, the resulting photo collection makes a cool slideshow or animated gif later.

Here's a map of the Dragon/Cherohala Loop beginning & ending in Robbinsville, with the side trip to Bald River Falls thrown in for good measure. If you try GPS for this, it will sometimes tell you to take Forest Service roads that sort of parallel the Cherohala--- DO NOT GO THERE, as those roads are no fun, and some of them DO NOT intersect the Cherohala as indicated on GPS maps.

Also, you CAN take US 129 past the Crossroads of Time & directly to Robbinsville, but it's more fun to drive a few extra miles & take Highway 28, aka "The Hellbender," as noted on my map.

Here's an animated gif of the Sunshine MINIs club @ Bald River Falls in 2005. My Electric Blue MINI had black wheels on it at the time, because the car was new & the black wheels HAD been on my Liquid Yellow MINI when I traded it in. Didn't want to run the Dragon on heavy stock wheels & run-flat tires, so I slapped the black wheels on the blue car. Ugly, but WTH?

Bald_River_Falls_Loop.gif

Last edited:
Good write up. I went there back when I owned a Focus. It was a smaller group, but that allowed us to have more fun me thinks. We did a few runs on the dragon, including a midnight run. Did the Cherohalla Skyway as well as some other fun local roads. It's a blast and definitely worth it.

Well said, OEM PLUS, and by the way, I hate you. Unless I get the job in Murphy that I just applied for, then we can be friends and neighbors & rub other people's noses in our Dragon proximity together for fun. Hehheh

Among the MINI crowd Dargon veterans, we all try to challenge ourselves to run the road as quickly as we can whiel staying within the rules of the road... except the speed limit. If any of us runs it so hard that we're crossing double yellow, we basically treat that like a disqualification. And I was serious when I mentioned trying to drive this road with as little brake action as possible--- not only is it a challenge, but it keeps your brakes frmo overheating & getting slushy.

I saw a MINI at Tabcat Bridge with its brakes actually smoking. And after a Midnight run, it is not unusual to see rotors glowing.

OH! I think I forgot to mention a cool little photo opp off the Cherohala Skyway. On the far end of the Cherohala, near Tellico Plains, TN, is a side road that's marked with a sign to indicate Bald River Falls. This falls is cool because the bridge across the river is just 50 yards or so in front of the falls themselves. You're technicaly not supposed to stop on the bridge, but the MINI club often sets up a camera & tripod & has their members line up & drive across, stopping only briefly on the bridge. If you make sure everyone stops in the exact same stpot, the resulting photo collection makes a cool slideshow or animated gif later.

Here's a map of the Dragon/Cherohala Loop beginning & ending in Robbinsville, with the side trip to Bald River Falls thrown in for good measure. If you try GPS for this, it will sometimes tell you to take Forest Service roads that sort of parallel the Cherohala--- DO NOT GO THERE, as those roads are no fun, and some of them DO NOT intersect the Cherohala as indicated on GPS maps.

Also, you CAN take US 129 past the Crossroads of Time & directly to Robbinsville, but it's more fun to drive a few extra miles & take Highway 28, aka "The Hellbender," as noted on my map.

Here's an animated gif of the Sunshine MINIs club @ Bald River Falls in 2005. My Electric Blue MINI had black wheels on it at the time, because the car was new & the black wheels HAD been on my Liquid Yellow MINI when I traded it in. Didn't want to run the Dragon on heavy stock wheels & run-flat tires, so I slapped the black wheels on the blue car. Ugly, but WTH?

Bald_River_Falls_Loop.gif

Eh, I think the black wheels looked good on that.

Finally managed to edit a video down to 10 minutes for Youtube.

Very first Dragon run in the MS3

Without any hazards or delays, the 11.6 miles can be completed in under 15 minutes if you know the road & keep the hammer down. But this run took me 19 minutes because I was taking it a little easier so as to get to know the car's handling limits, as well as the OEM tires' limits. Oh, and I edited out the art of the run where I followed 2 lollygagging Harleys for about 5 minutes on a sightseeing tour.

I'll add this link to the first post, too, just for good measure.

You gotta hit up the Blue Ridge Parkway down there too.. It has some great scenery. I'll be down there for EECMM09. This will mark my 3rd year in a row down at the gap. Its great and totally worth the 12 hour drive. A 16 hour drive would be worth it to for the guy who was talkin about coming.

Hey appreciate the write up man it's great. We copy and pasted it on the EECMM forum so I hope you don't mind. Just watched the video too came out great. Will you be making the trip up with EECMM this year?

Hey appreciate the write up man it's great. We copy and pasted it on the EECMM forum so I hope you don't mind. Just watched the video too came out great. Will you be making the trip up with EECMM this year?

I don't mind at all. I actually thought I had signed up on the EECMM forums way back when you first started mentioning it on this site. But I went in 3-5 days ago & found my user name was not valid, so I registered it (same as here). Haven't posted yet, because I was trying to catch up on reading first.

Unfortunately, with my commitment to the MINI event, and EECMM coming so soon after, I can't afford the cash or vacation time to make EECMM. Very much hoping you guys have a blast & nobody contributes any parts to the Tree of Shame.

If you have any questions about the area, etc., let me know. I'm fairly familiar with things up that way. (I would think you might have a few locals or other Dragon Vets who you can turn to, though)

Last edited:
Back