The Definitive MSP Exhaust FAQ

Looks good, but the links pop-up in a new window and I get an error saying that I don't have permission to view it.

How about some info on an exhaust cut-out...possibly the cheapest and most effective exhaust modification

done :)

i gave up on the page jumps....it takes too much time to do because i have to re-enter the html commands every time i edit a post. i need an actual html editor to make it work right :(

skilletrx said:
good stuff- shud be sticky

agreed (if spark plugs get one this should too)

and if I read everything correctly looks like this GHL piece covers half the "downpipe" and the midpipe:
http://www.ghlmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MZSPDPC3&Category_Code=MAZ

so best bang for the bucks..oh wait but goes 3" to the 2.5" stock cat-back so NFG...wait the stock cat-back is 2.5?!, I thought that size was plenty, why upgrade? ....

dammit man, I'm all confused now, I'd like to replace as little as necessary, so if some if its already 2.5" thats cool, just need to get the rest up to size, can some please tell me what it is I need to buy??

hows that for a Frequently Asked Question?

(you did bump for newbs, and although I've been around a while I feel like one right now)

Last edited:
Striker187 said:
pfunkr, questions 3,4, and 16 will help you out.

ok lets see...heres my edited version of the faq..

Striker187 said:

#3) Q: So is my stock exhaust really that crappy?
A: Well, not exactly, but there are substantial improvements to be made..
1 11/16 inches - 2 3/8 inches = 1.6875" - 2.375" = 42.8625 mm - 60.325 mm

<O:p</O:p

so I'm guess this means ~1.7" at the whole S/J downpipe, and spits up to the ~2.4 after the midpipe (ie at the catback or further down)? otherwise why buy a 2.5" midpipe for a eighth of an inch gain right?

Striker187 said:
#4) Q: Now Im really confused.what exhaust size should I get?

A: Ahhh the endless debate. 2.5 or 3 piping?...
I feel the 3 system will make a slight difference in the upper rpm band, where your engine is flowing maximum quantities of exhaust gases...
Im positive I would have been just as happy with a 2.5 exhaust though.<O:p</O:p

that sounds to me like ours wouldn't be considered a 2.5" system..so what would you call what we have, and what would it take to make it a 2.5" ?

Striker187 said:
#16) Q: So all in all, how much is this gonna cost me?

A: It all depends on where you go.... Based on dyno results, and my personal experience, the midpipe will yield the biggest gains, probably around 10-12 hp.

so these gains would be from getting a 2.5/3" midpipe that bolts to the stock downpipe (which if I get the cash to upgrade that as well the midpipe no longer fits and will need to be replaced again) and then back to the stock catback (which again it I wanted to upgrade later I would need to get another midpipe that would fit to that piece)? and may just wait to see when MAM puts out that downpipe (although according to their webpage its going to bolt onto the stock midpipe)...

sorry, I don't mean to sound like a punk, and believe me I appreciate all the info and help, and I know that obviously a midpipe that fits the stock setup is not going to fit a later-upgraded one, so it just seems like it has to be an all-at-once deal for optimum performance..

somebody here must have run into this, what have you guys done and how'd it turn out??

Last edited:
1) the smallest measurements occurred at the crush bends. mind you these measurements were taken from the stock catback section only but i'm sure they'd hardly change for the midpipe. while a 2.5" midpipe is not a huge difference from the stock measurements, there are gains to be had....about 10-12 hp. it's nothing earth-shattering but the gains are there. hp costs a lot of money.

2) well you're right, i don't consider the stock system to be a 2.5" system. those crush bent sections don't help the flow out at all. to me, a 2.5" system should be exactly that, a 2.5" system all the way through, not just 2.5" at certain points.

3) you shouldn't have to replace the midpipe every time you change out a certain section. you should be able to piece it together one at a time without too much trouble. just make sure you know what ends where and what kind of flange is where. these are all generic flanges (save that stock spring flange) so one part can easily be mated to another. now if you're changing piping size, it's a little different but nothing major. at most, you'll need a small transition section and a new flange welded on, that's it.

pm me if you have any more questions. keep asking :), it's the only way to learn.

peepsalot said:
That pic could be slightly confusing for noobs. Since it is not the mazdaspeed exhaust, it doesn't have the second cat on the midpipe, and the s-pipe is not shown there. A long time ago I used to think pipe #6 was the "s-pipe"

I had the same problem on my french forum so I did these two pics with photoshop to clear things out. I tought this could be a good addition to this guide too since I already created the pics.

N/A OEM Progeg exhaust system:
pro_exhaust.jpg
pro_exhaust.jpg

MSP OEM exhaust system:
msp_exhaust.jpg

msp_exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
kewl, i'll put this pic in the thread later. though, can u change the spelling? it's not bong, it's bung ;) i'd rather not give the idea we're smokin something here.....(stoned)

Great job, as this is something I'm looking to do this winter. I didn't see any mention of the Vibrant exhaust, though. Is it still available?

as far as i know it's still available. it's listed under the name of ETD racing since that's how it was first advertised as. i guess i should make a note of that. though i'm unsure if vibrant actually produces this exhaust, or if ETD racing makes the exhaust and just uses a vibrant muffler.

Back