Tapping Noises at Startup

MacAttack7

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)
Anybody have any strange noises in the first 30 seconds or so of startup & driving?

It's not a constant tick-tick-tick noise, but there's a noise when I first take my foot off the brake pedal which has something to do with that........prbly normal.

Then there are like 2 or 3 more intermittent noises when I first start going like in the first 30 seconds of driving which is not brake related I don't think.

It's similar to if you took a screwdriver or something metal & tapped the engine or underside of the car once, then wait 5 seconds, tap it again, then maybe one more time.

Then I never hear it again until I park & get back in the car later on.

Anybody else have that noise?

Well is it when you accelerate too?
And when the blue light is on?
Try starting your car and leave it till the blue light goes off, then start driving!
Mine has a sound like that, but try it maybe it's the same thing.

I think you are hearing the "click" that has been referred to in several other posts (Same conditions, does it every startup then wont do again until shut off and restarted)... not sure exactly what it is, but it appears to be a Mazda2 thing. I was thinking it dealt with the electronic steering or the ABS. So far it doesn't seem to hurt anything, just a noise. I plan to ask about it at my first oil change...

Discussed in some other threads....I was thinking it had to do with the electronic steering...general area where the clicking was coming from.

Cool............I'm not going to worry about it then. It does occur only when the blue light is on. I get a noise or 2 when first starting & then 1 or 2 noises when I first drive away in 1st gear. Thanks for the replies.

It would still be nice to know what it is though, so if anyone finds out what it is post it on this thread.

Last edited:
Cool............I'm not going to worry about it then. It does occur only when the blue light is on. I get a noise or 2 when first starting & then 1 or 2 noises when I first drive away in 1st gear. Thanks for the replies.

It would still be nice to know what it is though, so if anyone finds out what it is post it on this thread.

I think you are hearing the "click" that has been referred to in several other posts (Same conditions, does it every startup then wont do again until shut off and restarted)... not sure exactly what it is, but it appears to be a Mazda2 thing. I was thinking it dealt with the electronic steering or the ABS. So far it doesn't seem to hurt anything, just a noise. I plan to ask about it at my first oil change...

I feel like I've narrowed the noises down to the traction/stability control unit. I think it just does a self-check when the car first starts moving. I really got into the throttle on a back road the other day, and on a hard left turn, as the tires started to make a little noise, I heard the exact same noise that I have at start-up. My vote is definitely traction/stability control unit.

Back