Synthetic Oil

If I'm not doing a change myself, I'm watching the guys doing it to make sure they don't screw up.

erhayes said:
A 5 quart/litre jug will not fill a CX7 as it takes 6 quarts-so says my manual. I wonder if they added one quart of no-name bulk oil to the 5 quarts of Mobil 1?

Strangely enough, mine says the same thing. The first time I took it in, I took them six liters, and got back almost all of the one-liter bottle. The second time, they drained the oil, changed the filter, dumped in the five-liter jug, started the engine, and checked the level, and didn't use the one-liter bottle. Now, being used to me watching them, they drain the oil, change the filter, dump in the five-liter jug, start the engine, and check the level. If it's between the marks (which it almost has to be, since "the marks" represent roughly a liter), they let it go, and I top it off at home.

Good question, though. My dealer is pretty straight with me, since I have two Mazdas and one is old enough for them to have some hope of selling me another one at some point.

Mazda Corp

Well! Got another reply from them; Thanks for contacting Mazda.

We dont personally recommend synthetic oil because the long term affects were never tested by Mazda.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda.

Regards,

I don't think anyone has ever did a long term check but I know in my past vehicles which one had over 150,000 miles and never had any issues and my Mazda 626 which had over 165,000 never had any problems with it except for loss of power due to its mileage. Don't care what the dealer thinks, going with synthetic.

Subaru made the same statement ( can't recommend because we didn't test). I think it is a cover-our-butt statement. Two years later the same question was asked and the response was OK to use Synthetic at the first recommended oil change (3000 Miles). The synthetic oil must meet the viscosity and Grade requirement AND the owner must follow the oil change recommendations. (3,750 or 7,500 miles oil/filter change).

Again guys, Motorcraft is a good (fake) synthetic blend and is only $2.20 a qt. Ironicaly, it has shown better wear results than Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple and other higher priced synthetics out there in many applications.
I have presented facts with the link above.....facts which cost me $22 every time.

Anyway, if you guys are hell bent in using synthetics, then you need to go to Autozone and buy Castrol Synthetic 0W-30. Two requirements.....it must say "Made in Germany" on the back and on the bottom of the bottle, the production code must start with no less than "M04" as in 2004.

I'm running full mobile 1 synthetic...matter of fact, my dealer told me to buy it at wal-mart and bring it in for them to change since its a lot cheaper through wal-mart then buying synthetic through them. That's what I do and I've had no problems at all.

What I find odd is that Canadian dealers are saying the CX-7 comes factory filled with synthetic due to the lack of a block heater for this vehicle.

They're probably full of s***..

Personally I'll use synthetic in the winter for this reason, as it can be hard to start the vehicle after it sits in front of my store after an 8 or 12 hour shift @ -40

Last edited:
Nash04. Would be good it you have the email from Mazda stating what you stated earler. If no email, then a more accurated verbal statment that doesn't include the wrong viscosity oil. Can you or will you post the info so I/we can take it to service writers who state no synthetic oil. I was at my dealer today watching a very conseencious mechanic changing oil in a CX 7. He said he were told by the service writer Not to put synthetic oil in CX 7s. He also stated they use Ford blend & full syn. 5w20 from quart containers in Ford cars but, bulk oil for all 5w/30 cars. I really like full synthetic from quart containers in my vehicle. JM obsession I guess. Anyway, the info from Mazda would be great Nash04 Ed

offset_98 said:
I'm running full mobile 1 synthetic...matter of fact, my dealer told me to buy it at wal-mart and bring it in for them to change since its a lot cheaper through wal-mart then buying synthetic through them. That's what I do and I've had no problems at all.

My Mazda dealer also has no qualms with using Mobil 1 and says it will not void the warranty. So, I've been running with Mobile since the first oil change and I have 24K miles now.

Vince.

I have emailed the Mazda Manufactures web site and asked; May I use a Synthetic or Synthetic Blend engine oil in my CX 7, provided it meets the viscosity and grade requirement set out in my Mazda owners manual? I'm hoping the wording I used will provide a real answer and not some sideways slippery answer. I will post it if it appears a usable document to take to reluctant dealers. Heres hoping. Ed

Last edited:
Using Mobil 1 since first oil change at 3,000 miles. At my second oil change at 6,000 miles it was brought to my attention that my oil was almost totally black. I checked it out and no lie it was black and the guy recommended that I do a total flush. I watched the guy change the oil so he wasnt full of crap. I told him that I only had 6,000 miles on the car and he told me to take it to the dealer to find out what the actual problem was. When I went to the dealer they gave me a hard time about using synthetic and said they would look into it. As a result they told me that they couldnt find anything wrong with my car and told me to bring it back before my next oil change and they would check it out themselves. I have 8,000 on it now so it will be awhile before my next service. I dont drive that far to work. Will keep you all posted.

Nash04 said:
Hey! You All!

Has your dealership give you a hard time about using synthetic oil, mine is stating that Mazda does not recommend using this oil due to their variable valve system. Has anyone change their oil to synthetic and have you seen any problems. I've had 2 other turbo vehicles prior of this one and have always used synthetic and never had any problem and the reason that I change it is due to the turbo temperature is lower with synthetic which runs better.

Mazda does NOT recommend synthetics in their rotary motors. The variable valve system is not in any danger from synthetic oils.
Matter of fact, the new Mazda cars come with a factory fill of Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil.
Once again, a dealership that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Just change it yourself.

Osidecaliguy said:
Using Mobil 1 since first oil change at 3,000 miles. At my second oil change at 6,000 miles it was brought to my attention that my oil was almost totally black. I checked it out and no lie it was black and the guy recommended that I do a total flush. I watched the guy change the oil so he wasnt full of crap. I told him that I only had 6,000 miles on the car and he told me to take it to the dealer to find out what the actual problem was. When I went to the dealer they gave me a hard time about using synthetic and said they would look into it. As a result they told me that they couldnt find anything wrong with my car and told me to bring it back before my next oil change and they would check it out themselves. I have 8,000 on it now so it will be awhile before my next service. I dont drive that far to work. Will keep you all posted.

That means your oil is working, doing its job of removing contaminants and combustion by-products from your engine. I'd worry a hell of a lot more if it came out clean and clear after 6000 miles.
The person trying to sell you a "flush" is just trying to make more money peddling unnecessary services. The dealer that's trying to blame it on synthetic oil is clueless, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a good brand synthetic oil in your car.

If you do a lot of short trip driving your engine is producing more combustion by-products which is contributing to the "dirty" look of the oil. Also some oils are simply darker in color even when brand new.

I'd avoid taking your car back to a dealer such as that, and definitely avoid whoever was changing your oil. Best solution is simply do it yourself.

Back