swapping 2.0 for 1.8

s3xrapt0r

:
93 pgt
i want to swap a 1.8 into my probe and go turbo.. i already have a full turbo set up sitting around and the 1.8 just seems like a more reliable option for a daily.. just wondering if i can use a FS flywheel on the fp and can i use the transmission from my probe ?? its he same tranny and motor as you guys have in the 2.0s
also ive been googleing and cant find a how to on the motor swap any help would be appreciated

If you are talking FS-DE 2.0 and FP-DE 1.8, the bloks are the same, and so should the engine mounts be. You can only use your tranny goodies, if you have a FS-DE gearbox (G15M-R).
But that gearbox should bolt right to the 1.8 blok. As said, there are the same. The FP gearbox use a different flywheel.

Last edited:
i finished the swap as long as you use an fs flywheel and tranny it will work... my motor has a blown headgasket so im jsut going to use it as a donar motor for a head, cams intake manifold injectors and fuel rail and scrap the block... it also has starting issues it runs very rough so i jsut want my 2.0 back in lol

The cams and the injectors are not the same for the 1.8 and 2.0. If you are mixing it up and using a 2.0 head with injectors on a 1.8 block or the other way around, I think there will be trouble. But might be misunderstanding you.

Or am I...?

Hey guys i have 00 protege es 1.8 with a manual transmission which I've having problems with. somebody is selling me a manual transmission from a 2.0L protege so the question is will that tranny fit and work properly in my 1.8? if anybody can help me it will be appreciated thank you

it will fit.... i put the tranny from the fs (2.0) onto my fp (1.8) with no problems... jsut make sure you use the 2.0 flywheel because i believe the 1.8 isnt compatible

it will fit.... i put the tranny from the fs (2.0) onto my fp (1.8) with no problems... jsut make sure you use the 2.0 flywheel because i believe the 1.8 isnt compatible

I didn't know this... and everything works well with yours?

Will the 2.0 tranny do any performance difference with a 1.8 engine?

the gear ratios should be the same if not very close; but the biggest difference is that there are much more clutch and lightweight flywheel options with the 2.0 tranny.

my fp is actually in pieces lol it had a blown headgasket and the number 3 cyl ring was bad... never buy from jdm engine zone... they told me it was tested and 100 percent gaurenteed to work there paperwork said nothing about me not being able to get my money back... and they only offered me the other fp they had laying around that was coil packs (i use a distributer) and on top of that it was covered n cobwebs and rust stay clear from them... not worth it.... after that fiasco i took it apart for its head and pistons to use on my fs and im scrapping the rest.....

but yes everything worked well... my motor was beat so it wouldnt rev over 2k and was blowing smoke but the tranny/flywheel mated up perfect and the clutch did engage perfect !

If you are talking FS-DE 2.0 and FP-DE 1.8, the bloks are the same, and so should the engine mounts be. You can only use your tranny goodies, if you have a FS-DE gearbox (G15M-R).
But that gearbox should bolt right to the 1.8 blok. As said, there are the same. The FP gearbox use a different flywheel.

that's actually not true, the 1.8 block is actually slightly shorter (don't try using the 2.0 timing belt for the 1.8, it's too long and will mess up your idlers and timing spring) but it seems like they both have the same bell housing so you just have to use the 2.0 tranny internals with the 1.8.

thank you so much for ur help, i will definitely going to get that tranny

yeah, i'd say go for it!, i just replaced my old 1.8 with a used newer one a couple of months ago, and if i would've known this i'd definitely do it!

with a stronger clutch and lightweight flywheel, i'd say you could noticeably tell a power increase! (esp if you have everything else modded like me)

that's actually not true, the 1.8 block is actually slightly shorter (don't try using the 2.0 timing belt for the 1.8, it's too long and will mess up your idlers and timing spring) but it seems like they both have the same bell housing so you just have to use the 2.0 tranny internals with the 1.8.

Notet!

Well, you learn things every day.

actually the 2.0 bellhousing fits right on the 1.8... you can pull a tranny straight off the fs and it will bolt right to the 1.8 block :)

Im getting 2.0 headers soon but i need to find a way for CEL not to come on. is there any way possible to keep it off even when u have both O2 sensors connected?

I have done the same swap but the motor wont start.

I went from a 2.0 FS to FP...would I need the ECU from a 1.8?

i'm going to say yes, but when you swap a motor...sadly there's there's so many things that can go wrong, it's hard to figure out.

Well none of the cylinders had compression. So the head was taking down resurfaced, new seals, new piston rings (they weren't expanding). Hopefully it fires up with all this work.

Back