Surprised by a Vibe!

They have a super charged Vibe...

More like "their is a supercharger for the Vibe", their is no model that comes with it factory.

"For now, the supercharger will initially be available only on the Vibe's base 1ZZ-FE 1.8-liter engine where it's expected to provide an increase in horsepower and torque of about 35% to around 175-hp and 170-lb ft. This will bring the base engine's power close to that of the high output 2ZZ-GE engine but the base is expected to have much more torque available in the low-end for quicker starts off the line.

The supercharger will not be available for all wheel drive Vibes with the 1ZZ-FE engine, but Pesonen still estimates 90% of Vibe owners will be able to have the supercharged engine or high output powerplant. "

Even with a supercharger, their is no way they could beat a MS3 except for lack of driving skill.

Source: http://www.genvibe.com/html/features/autoshows/sema2002/supercharger.shtml

Last edited:
The old vibes had the same archetecture as the Toyota Martix. Idk about model codes... but the Matrix XRS had a potent I4 with a "lift" feature similar to Honda's Vtec. The damn thing redlines at like 8,500 RPM. So if it was an I/H/E and tuned Vibe (with the XRS engine)... then he would give a stock MS3 a good run for it's money...

Just looked it up... the Vibe GT did come with this engine. So there you have it.

There are two toyo 1.8's in that vintage: the 1zz and the 2zz. identical disp, different b&s, the 2zz makes 180 at a million rpm and is found originally on the celica GT then the 06 rolla xlr and for some wierd reason they used it in the Vibe. Dunno if pontiac forced em to mate a different tranny, but as far as I know it only came with a 6 MT

There are two toyo 1.8's in that vintage: the 1zz and the 2zz. identical disp, different b&s, the 2zz makes 180 at a million rpm and is found originally on the celica GT then the 06 rolla xlr and for some wierd reason they used it in the Vibe. Dunno if pontiac forced em to mate a different tranny, but as far as I know it only came with a 6 MT

I need to learn to read the whole thread first(hand)
08cwp is right on time

Like I said, sure the vibes are quick, but it's more likely the MS3 was slow...

Mine was no slower than the rest of them. (stock) If you are implying I can't hold a straight line, press a pedal to the floor and shift once quickly... You are mistaken.

(hahaspit)
No the Pontiac Vibe is not a quick car at all. The MS3 is capable of running a 13.9-13.8 off the show room floor, while the Vibe would have problems breaking out of the mid 15's.

The most likely reason for the close race is, and sorry to say, the driver or the driver not giving a good description of said Vibe.

Stock for stock, it's Apples to Oranges.

Sorry... You are incorrect... It was NOT the driver... Again...let me state... I am not some 18 year who just got his first car. Also, I have driven a lot of other (and some more powerful) cars than my MS3.

This was a 2009/2010 2.4 liter Vibe GT. That is all I know... I have no idea if any mods were done to the engine, but I am assuming there were. Simply because the of the bottom line fact... He kept up pretty closely with my MS3 in the simplest of situations. This was not a race... this was not an autocross... this was not the quarter mile. We both started about 10-15 MPH...I had just shifted to 2nd... He started a fraction before I did. (I think he planned to cut me off at a upcoming ramp)

I made it to 3rd and as we reached the speed limit and I backed off... He was still in my blind spot and fading...

It was just way closer in terms of acceleration, than I expected.

Mine was no slower than the rest of them. (stock) If you are implying I can't hold a straight line, press a pedal to the floor and shift once quickly... You are mistaken.

Not implying anything.

What gives with the username anyway? Is it beige too? (wink)

Not implying anything.

What gives with the username anyway? Is it beige too? (wink)

I used to have a 98 TRD supercharged Camry. It was my first brand new car. At the time, you couldn't get an Accord v6 with a manual transmission. So...I went with the Camry CE V6 model (5 spd) and later had TRD S/C it. I have been using that "name" ever since. Oh...and it was beige... I think it was called something different too... I just can't remember what it was.

Last edited:
I used to have a 98 TRD supercharged Camry. It was my first brand new car. At the time, you couldn't get an Accord v6 with a manual transmission. So...I went with the Camry CE V6 model (5 spd) and later had TRD S/C it. I have been using that "name" ever since. Oh...and it was beige... I think it was called something different too... I just can't remember what it was.

Why the HELL was it between a Camry and Accord?! Hahahaha

the rents have a 2009 Vibe with the 1.8L, FWD, 4-speed auto, it is balls slow lol. Could the car in question be a Vibe GT w/AWD and the 2.4l w/ 4speed auto? That's the only way I see it being "quick" because that is the most high powered (factory) setup.
First of all, you could not get a Vibe GT w/AWD. They never came and couldn't be ordered that way. You couldn't get it with the auto tranny either. 6-speed manual only.
Transversely, you couldn't get (or order) an AWD model w/manual tranny... and the 1ZZ in that model had fewer horses (116 vs. 130) than the 2WD model too. (?) :(

There are two toyo 1.8's in that vintage: the 1zz and the 2zz. identical disp, different b&s, the 2zz makes 180 at a million rpm and is found originally on the celica GT then the 06 rolla xlr and for some weird reason they used it in the Vibe. Dunno if pontiac forced em to mate a different tranny, but as far as I know it only came with a 6 MT
As you said, the 2ZZ is the same engine, different head and adds lift to the valve timing to get an 8500 rpm redline. Most of the extra power is up there.

I will say that the N/A 1ZZ in my wife's '06 Vibe, while not blindingly fast, is a free revving little sucker. It's much freer revving than the N/A 2.3L in my Mazda3. I like it a lot, especially since we have the 5-sp model!! Fun car to drive, even if it isn't a street racer. And 30-35 mpg back and forth to work is hard to beat.
Oh and BTW, it's easier to work on and mod too.

i think god was driving the vibe, but forgot it wasn't your time to go yet

anyway....have you thought about trolling around in a vibe forum to see if you can find the car?

I had the matrix xrs with the 2zz engine. I/H/E and unichip. There 10mph, you should have put a good distance between you, powerband doesn't hit till about 15-20mph if I remember correctly, before the powerband the thing is a dog, plus there's absolutly no way to keep the car in the powerband so between each shift there's 1 or 2 seconds before the car hits it again.
If it's a newer vibe then the s/c might be the answer, but still you should have been able to pull away from him more than inching. Maybe you were shifting too early

Last edited:
Sorry... You are incorrect... It was NOT the driver... Again...let me state... I am not some 18 year who just got his first car. Also, I have driven a lot of other (and some more powerful) cars than my MS3.

This was a 2009/2010 2.4 liter Vibe GT. That is all I know... I have no idea if any mods were done to the engine, but I am assuming there were. Simply because the of the bottom line fact... He kept up pretty closely with my MS3 in the simplest of situations. This was not a race... this was not an autocross... this was not the quarter mile. We both started about 10-15 MPH...I had just shifted to 2nd... He started a fraction before I did. (I think he planned to cut me off at a upcoming ramp)

I made it to 3rd and as we reached the speed limit and I backed off... He was still in my blind spot and fading...

It was just way closer in terms of acceleration, than I expected.

which is why I said, " or ". If it was keeping up with you, it was likely modded.

Did you hear/see anything that would indicate it being modified?

After reading this thread and in spite of the car not being (in my own words) blindingly fast, I think I will take the Vibe to work w/me tomorrow. Its still a blast to drive, imo. :D

He started a fraction before I did. (I think he planned to cut me off at a upcoming ramp)

Well he got the jump on you, that extra second makes a big difference, especially if you're in the wrong gear (you had just shifted in 2nd going only 10-15mph). The hasn't had a chance to build boost at this point, so he might have still been in his sweet spot and got a bit of an advantage. Had you run 3rd gear all the way up, I'm sure you would have blown him away. That gear is a monster.

props for hot roddin what ya got!!

I for one, am sick of of store bought speed.

used to be, "gearhead" was the guy with the fast car, cuz that was the only way. now any rich punk can go fast. no sense of responsibility. No dues paid

ggrrrrr, uphill both ways, thru the snow

First of all, you could not get a Vibe GT w/AWD. They never came and couldn't be ordered that way. You couldn't get it with the auto tranny either. 6-speed manual only.
Transversely, you couldn't get (or order) an AWD model w/manual tranny... and the 1ZZ in that model had fewer horses (116 vs. 130) than the 2WD model too. (?) :(

As you said, the 2ZZ is the same engine, different head and adds lift to the valve timing to get an 8500 rpm redline. Most of the extra power is up there.

I will say that the N/A 1ZZ in my wife's '06 Vibe, while not blindingly fast, is a free revving little sucker. It's much freer revving than the N/A 2.3L in my Mazda3. I like it a lot, especially since we have the 5-sp model!! Fun car to drive, even if it isn't a street racer. And 30-35 mpg back and forth to work is hard to beat.
Oh and BTW, it's easier to work on and mod too.
+1

30 years from now, the 1zz-fe will be one of rhe respected engines

Back