Sunroof Issue - 2019 CX-5 Signature

2019 CX5 (Signature) Sunroof Update - I can now replicate this sunroof malfunction on demand. Closing the front windows at the same time as the sunroof appears to trigger the malfunction. The sunroof closes approximately two-thirds, at which time it stops, as if there is an obstruction, which there is not, and it returns to the open position. Having said that, from time-to-time, the sunroof malfunctions in the same way when the front windows are not being closed.

I provided the dealership with the above information in detail. The response I received from the dealership was as follows:

"Your Technician contacted Mazda Canada tech line about the sunroof with the information you provided. They said there wouldn't be any parts that can be replaced as they are all working normally individually."

Working normally "individually" .... How can anyone think that not being able to close a sunroof at the same time as the front windows is "normal"? The representative from the dealership went on to say:

"The system is not designed for all of the motors to be operating at the exact same time. They recommend moving the door windows individually from the sunroof."

I was not satisfied with that response. I subsequently expressed my dissatisfaction to Mazda Canada in writing. I received the following response:

"Your dealer service manager has reviewed the concern with our technical team and determined that the condition you reported is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. While we appreciate your point of view, we do not feel that any corrective action is required."

Certainly not a "characteristic of the vehicle" that was documented in the 2019 Mazda CX5 brochure? And not a characteristic I've experienced with any other vehicle I've owned? Seems to me this "characteristic of the vehicle" could be more accurately described as a "design flaw of the vehicle", if, in fact, operating the motors at the same time is the cause of the malfunction?
Hmmm I've never tried to close both at same time so I'm at a loss. For me it's normal to close the sunroof then the windows. I'm not in that much of a hurry to close both at same time plus once I leave work, my brain is tired and quits multitasking on me.

If the problem occurs sometimes when you only try closing the sunroof by itself though, that is a problem and they need to fix that.
A nonfunctioning sunroof that you can't close is a problem. I would document the times it doesn't close by itself only( don't confuse them with the simultaneous door windows and sunroof thing as they already answered that they don't believe both should function together.). Everytime it fails to close by itself send Mazda corporate an internet complaint that way it's on record if it quits functioning completely and is permanently stuck open. plus take it in to dealership once in awhile to have them check it there too so it's on record before the B2B warranty is up.

As an aside, when you try to close both, you are parked ? I can't imagine how you would close both and hold steering wheel while driving.

Last edited:
There are times I would have all 4 windows and the sunroof open and as I turn the last corner before my house I bump all 4 window switches and the sunroof switch closed and they are all moving at the same time. Never an issue with multiple Mazda vehicles. 3GT, 2016.5 cx5 touring, 2019 cx5 signature.

I don't think those are very good answers from both the Mazda dealer or Mazda Canada.

I'mma try and remember to do that all 4 plus sunroof open and close tomorrow on my 2019 cx5 signature. I'm certain I do it regularly (in warmer months). That's s.o.p. for me leaving work in the summer. Hop in, fire up the engine then all 4 windows and sunroof opening simultaneously.

They're starting to sound like Hyundai. "Got a weird problem, nope, that's normal. Have a good day."

Sorry to hear the answer from Mazda didn't give you what you want.
It sucks when you don't feel supported by the Manufacturer. I've been there.

I am going to try this myself and see if I can recreate it. Really makes me wonder the times my runroof has done it (It never did it on my '20) was the situation you described.
I also do an all windows close and sunroof close when approaching home, like @HyFlyer and maybe that's when it did it!

Good for you for figuring it out, however!

If it's normal, ask them what is causing it and why not all CX5's have this 'normal' behavior.

Them (windows/sunroof) working separately doesn't explain why it has this issue when combined.

Go at them with the 5 why's for determining root cause.

Last edited:
@CX5SIGN , yep confirmed. As you (and everyone else) already knows, Mazda's excuse on this sunroof business is grade A top shelf b.s. I ran all windows + sunroof simultaneously open and close several times. No issues whatsoever. As I (and everyone else) knew would be the case.

C'mon Mazda! Be better than this!!

Thank you for your responses. Really does beg the question ... if the motors aren't intended to operate at the same time, why is the issue I'm experiencing not common across like vehicles? Tend to agree with my friend from Ohio who referred to Mazda Canada's response as "Top-shelf BS".

I'm not done with Mazda Canada or the dealership.

FYI - it's not uncommon for me to be rolling up the drive into the garage while activating the close function on the front windows followed immediately by the sunroof (while front windows are still closing), or the reverse. Doesn't require having both hands off the steering wheel at the same time. Regardless, shame on Mazda if they're aware this design flaw (because that's what it is) and did nothing about it before these vehicles rolled off the line or, at the least, once they discovered it was an issue. I'm guessing this isn't an issue with all 2019 CX5 Signature models rather, just a convenient, inexpensive, dismissive excuse.

Back