Sunroof Issue - 2019 CX-5 Signature

Purchased new, serviced exclusively at dealership. As much as I love the CX-5, almost since the day I drove the vehicle off the lot ... about 80% of the time I attempt to close the sunroof, it closes about 70% of the way, and returns to a fully open position, as if there is an obstruction (which there is not). Service department at the dealership has lubed the track, and reset the sunroof. Still malfunctions. I put this issue on the work order everytime the vehicle is in for service. Mazda Canada's response ... "if we can't replicate the problem, we can't repair it" ... my response ... "thanks, but not terribly helpful".

Suggestions?

Video record the problem happening for you multiple times to present to the dealer ?

My '22 was doing this but seems to have worked itself out.
I thought it was because it was new and components weren't broken in.

It hasn't happened in months at this point.

See if this replicates the problem. Try to have the front windows and sunroof reach the closed positions at the same time. I
believe it has something to do with pressurization.

Further to Scoobdude's comments, if the issue is in fact related to presurization, I would try lowering the driver's window a bit, before closing the sunroof, just to see if that improves the issue. If it does, then as the various door/window/sunroof seals get worn in, the issue might go away.

Further to Scoobdude's comments, if the issue is in fact related to presurization, I would try lowering the driver's window a bit, before closing the sunroof, just to see if that improves the issue. If it does, then as the various door/window/sunroof seals get worn in, the issue might go away.
I've had the CX-5 for three and a half years, I'm thinking the seals should be well worn by now? How could it be a pressurization issue if it happens when front windows are down?

Pressurization? Say what? You do know that the interior of the vehicle is not airtight, right? Especially with the windows open.

Purchased new, serviced exclusively at dealership. As much as I love the CX-5, almost since the day I drove the vehicle off the lot ... about 80% of the time I attempt to close the sunroof, it closes about 70% of the way, and returns to a fully open position, as if there is an obstruction (which there is not). Service department at the dealership has lubed the track, and reset the sunroof. Still malfunctions. I put this issue on the work order everytime the vehicle is in for service. Mazda Canada's response ... "if we can't replicate the problem, we can't repair it" ... my response ... "thanks, but not terribly helpful".

Suggestions?
If this is truly happening 8 out of 10 times, you should be able to sit in the car with the service tech and replicate the problem for them. You should flick the controls and let them see what happens. Then have them sit in the drivers seat.

Video record the problem happening for you multiple times to present to the dealer ?
Did this with a problem I had which they couldn't replicate, same response. "If we don't see it we can't fix it"

Did this with a problem I had which they couldn't replicate, same response. "If we don't see it we can't fix it"
I can't really blame them for that given many of the videos posted here, especially when it comes to audio.

Anyway, might it be related to ambient temp? I don't know what all is in the mechanism but metals and glass tend expend under heat, rubber tends to contract. If the thing was built a little outside tolerances summer heat might be enough to throw something a little out of whack, causing resistance or a misalignment.

Just a shot in the dark, but you might want to compare when cooler, say in the morning when leaving for work, vs. afternoon in the baking sun. If there is a correlation, then you'll know the best time to take it to the dealer to demonstrate the problem with a tech in the car.

Why no one suspects that the moonroof motor is weak?
Video the problem and show it to the service advisor.
Better do it before warranty expires.

Why no one suspects that the moonroof motor is weak?
Video the problem and show it to the service advisor.
Better do it before warranty expires.
Yep, good point. Could also be that something is binding causing it to think something is in the way.

Going along with the binding thought. If you place your hand on the moving sunroof see if you feel any little burps in the area where it stops. , even if the roof closes. This may be something a tech can feel and not see.

Another idea is to hold down the wind deflector as the sunroof is closing to see if that eliminates the issue. I assumed as the sunroof closed over the deflector and pushed it down, it was pushing back with too much force and was triggering the safety system that makes it reverse as it was around this part in the closing procedure where the issue was happening...at least that's what I thought was going on in my case.

2019 CX5 (Signature) Sunroof Update - I can now replicate this sunroof malfunction on demand. Closing the front windows at the same time as the sunroof appears to trigger the malfunction. The sunroof closes approximately two-thirds, at which time it stops, as if there is an obstruction, which there is not, and it returns to the open position. Having said that, from time-to-time, the sunroof malfunctions in the same way when the front windows are not being closed.

I provided the dealership with the above information in detail. The response I received from the dealership was as follows:

"Your Technician contacted Mazda Canada tech line about the sunroof with the information you provided. They said there wouldn't be any parts that can be replaced as they are all working normally individually."

Working normally "individually" .... How can anyone think that not being able to close a sunroof at the same time as the front windows is "normal"? The representative from the dealership went on to say:

"The system is not designed for all of the motors to be operating at the exact same time. They recommend moving the door windows individually from the sunroof."

I was not satisfied with that response. I subsequently expressed my dissatisfaction to Mazda Canada in writing. I received the following response:

"Your dealer service manager has reviewed the concern with our technical team and determined that the condition you reported is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. While we appreciate your point of view, we do not feel that any corrective action is required."

Certainly not a "characteristic of the vehicle" that was documented in the 2019 Mazda CX5 brochure? And not a characteristic I've experienced with any other vehicle I've owned? Seems to me this "characteristic of the vehicle" could be more accurately described as a "design flaw of the vehicle", if, in fact, operating the motors at the same time is the cause of the malfunction?

Back