2017~2024 Suma Performance Side Mirrors for CX-5 Possible

I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos with turn signals in the suma glass. My cx-5 has the turn signal lights in the housing of the mirror.
You were not watching a YouTube video of a CX-5. It was a different brand of vehicle. The CX-5 does not have turn signals in the glass.

I’m not sure of the confusion here. David, I know what I saw on YouTube. Yes, it wasn’t a cx-5 mirror which is why I inquired about getting a cx5 version with the integrated turn signals in the glass so that I could splice the mirror into my existing turn signals.

I am not sure why my request to Suma put a sour taste in your mouth. If you represent them, I apologize for upsetting you.

Just a misunderstanding, I think. @Candurin is simply requesting a feature that isn't currently available on the mirrors available for preorder. If Suma releases a product in the future that includes the option to add turn signals to the mirror glass of the CX-5, then they will place an order. The videos referenced by @Candurin are just meant to illustrate that it is possible for Suma to add turn signals to mirror glass on vehicles that have turn signals in the side mirrors (but no turn signals in the OEM glass).

I'm not sure if it's too late for Eddy at Suma to accommodate the request for this round of preorders - he'd probably have to speak with his suppliers. But let's see what he says.

@sm1ke You nailed it. I do apologize, @David Paul for not being politically correct nor getting the point across accurately. It wasn't my intention to upset anyone.

I did hear back from Eddy: "We can only do either BSM or Turn Signal because the mirror isn’t big enough to have both on there".

So it seems as though it is a size issue and not a technical one.

If all else fails, I have options (https://shop.muthco.com/wide-angle-signal-mirror-2) :giggle:

I’m not sure of the confusion here. David, I know what I saw on YouTube. Yes, it wasn’t a cx-5 mirror which is why I inquired about getting a cx5 version with the integrated turn signals in the glass so that I could splice the mirror into my existing turn signals.

I am not sure why my request to Suma put a sour taste in your mouth. If you represent them, I apologize for upsetting you.
I can assure you, I do not represent Suma Performance. I am simply a satisfied customer using their mirrors on my MX-5.

You didn't upset me too much. I was just trying to figure out why you were inquiring about turn signal lights in their glass.

What you are really trying to say is that you want a turn signal light in the glass as well as in the mirror body.

I'm not sure why you would want redundant signals in each mirror but at least now I understand what you are trying to say.

I doubt that most CX-5 owners would want to pay an additional $20 or so, just to have that signal in the glass when they already have it in the mirror body, but I may be wrong. Lord only knows, I've been wrong many times before.:)

@sm1ke You nailed it. I do apologize, @David Paul for not being politically correct nor getting the point across accurately. It wasn't my intention to upset anyone.

I did hear back from Eddy: "We can only do either BSM or Turn Signal because the mirror isn’t big enough to have both on there".

So it seems as though it is a size issue and not a technical one.

If all else fails, I have options (https://shop.muthco.com/wide-angle-signal-mirror-2) :giggle:
If you are considering using spot mirrors like the ones you have a link to, that would be a mistake. Especially because you have a choice for a better wide angle mirror with Suma Performance.

I have been using spot mirrors for as long as I can remember. I started driving legally in 1957 and when spot mirrors first became available, I bought them. However, they are useless and dangerous at night.

The reason I say that is because of their small size, the view in them is scrunched together in a very small picture. As a result, it is very difficult to discern headlights from other cars. It's hard to distinguish where the vehicles are and how many of them are behind you. That's where the Suma Performance mirrors really stand out.

The picture is much bigger and as a result, it is easy to determine the individual vehicles headlights and how far away they are.

I can't wait to get rid of the spot mirrors on my CX-5. Ever since my wife has seen the Suma Performance mirrors on my MX-5, she has been very envious. She drives our CX-5 more than half the time that I do. When I told her that Eddy was finally ready to take pre-orders for the Suma mirrors, it made her very happy.

My opinion of spot mirrors is just that, my opinion. They work fairly well during the day but at night, not so much. I would advise against you purchasing them. If they were much cheaper, I would say go ahead but I doubt that you have $130 to throw away. Especially because you already have turn indicators on your mirror body. Again, just my opinion and I mean no harm.:)

This got me thinking.. even if Eddy doesn't end up offering the turn signal integrated into the glass, it probably wouldn't be that hard to find a pair of flexible LED strips and wire them to the existing turn signal in the mirror housing, then attach the strips to the mirror housing itself. Something like this:

96TVdfYJDvP_PZPaIQSKu3Wec-a-cq36QFJy16mopNWxSXfNe73kYiTjBMH72HYdc3YOoAo=s114

or
images

Just trying to think outside the box a little, lol.

@David Paul I was interested in the integrated signals for vehicles behind me. Same reason they are put in the OEM mirrors.

None of my sarcasm is coming across that way. I would never use those stick on lights!

The BSM/heated mirrors look tempting though.

@David Paul Any chance you can post a few pics of the suma in your miata?

I just thought I'd add - even though this started with interest in the 2nd gen CX-5, Eddy/Suma has made options available for 1st gen CX-5 owners and 2nd gen CX-9 owners as well (the 2nd gen CX-5 and 2nd gen CX-9 mirrors are the same).

@David Paul I was interested in the integrated signals for vehicles behind me. Same reason they are put in the OEM mirrors.

None of my sarcasm is coming across that way. I would never use those stick on lights!

The BSM/heated mirrors look tempting though.

@David Paul Any chance you can post a few pics of the suma in your miata?
I'm not sure if pictures of my Suma mirrors will help you but here are a few.

You can see the rear of my CX-5 even though both vehicles are parked evenly, right next to each other. The wide angle is very effective.

The blue tint is excellent for day time use and really cuts the glare of others headlights at night. Plus, the Suma glare proof mirrors are on both sides instead of just
20210121_172107.jpg
the driver's side like the OEM mirrors.

lnVwUGG.jpg

Swa6lya.jpg

DVOXQBv.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if pictures of my Suma mirrors will help you but here are a few.

You can see the rear of my CX-5 even though both vehicles are parked evenly, right next to each other. The wide angle is very effective.

The blue tint is excellent for day time use and really cuts the glare of others headlights at night. Plus, the Suma glare proof mirrors are on both sides instead of justView attachment 294477 the driver's side like the OEM mirrors.

lnVwUGG.jpg

Swa6lya.jpg

DVOXQBv.jpg
As an older gentleman who for many years ran a Rug business from my home and would occasionally purchase a rug from someone using the logic that the rug was so inexpensive that I could always put it in my garage, I am delighted to see someone who espouses the same logic! :)

Not yet. I recall reading on the Suma website that they should be shipped in late March or early April.

Suma Mirrors announcement.

Due to the shortage of world wide supplies for some industries, production is taking longer than expected. Unfortunately, Eddy's family, who is manufacturing our Performance mirrors has had a serious delay of delivery time.

They manufacture high performance mirrors for many brands and have seriously fallen behind on production due to raw material shortages.

Eddy has informed me that we may not see our mirrors until the middle to the end of May. Yes, this is a disappointment for sure but none of us could have ever imagined something like the Corona Virus becoming as large of a world-wide event that it has.

He is asking us to be patient. We are not forgotten.

If you haven't been following world news, there is a microchip shortage for just about every industry.

Also when most of these articles say "computer chips" they really mean anything that even remotely has the ability to do logic. These chips even include functions like micro relays and voltage sensors.

Just wanted to post one warning. I had added a wide angle drivers side mirror to my 2016 corvette and loved it. However items appearing in wide angle mirrors are generally Closer than they appear which is not a problem if you know that. Had my vette in for service and watched in horror as a service tech came within inches of hitting another vehicle. Luckily the tech heard me screaming and slammed the brakes.

I haven't seen anything official.
The only hint was this post:

product webpage has no new updates:

Back