2017~2024 Suma Performance Side Mirrors for CX-5 Possible

:
2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring
There is a company called Suma Performance that among other things, have fantastic, direct replacement mirror glass for the outside left and right mirrors.

These do not replace the entire mirror, just the mirror glass and its base. It is a direct replacement for the OEM glass and is an easy mod to do. You just pull the current mirror glass off and push the new one on. They are a ball and socket fit just like the OEM glass is.

I purchased these and installed them on my 2016 MX-5 about a year ago and they are fantastic. BTW, I am not affiliated with this company. I am just trying to get them available for our CX-5 models, 2017+, I don't know if the mirror shapes are the same on any older models.

The direct mirror replacements are one of the best add-ons I have done for my MX-5 as far as safety and convenience. My wife is the primary driver of our CX-5 and has really wanted them ever since seeing and experiencing them on my MX-5.

If we can get enough people interested in these, Suma Performance will have them manufactured for our vehicles. I believe the owner of the company, Eddy, said that if we can get at least 15 pre orders, it would be good to go for them. Take a look at their web site and decide for yourself if this is something you'd like.

I don't know what the price would be for us but I assume they would be not much different from their current mirrors for other models. Again, if interested, take a look at their web site. Their service is top notch as is the quality of these mirrors.

If anyone has questions regarding these, you can either ask them directly or ask me, even though I can't speak for the company. I just want to be a customer for the second time with my other vehicle.

Last edited:
Can't be used when the car has a blind spot assistant in the mirror, which most recent ones have,

Yes it can. Go to their web site.

I have BSR and heated mirrors on my MX-5 so all those operations are available on Suma Mirrors.

If your vehicle has that option, then you choose the appropriate Suma Mirror when ordering.

Again, go to their web site.

Wide angle convex mirrors would be awesome to have. I'd definitely be in for a set on my CX-9. Unfortunately I don't think the CX-5 and the CX-9 share the same mirror size. Can anymore measure theirs so I can compare with mine?

The Suma Performance convex mirrors are the best I have ever used plus they are equipped to handle every option that the modern vehicles have today. Also, their anti-glare works wonders. Far better than the OEM, self dimming features some vehicles have as an option.

Your question is best answered by the main man himself, Eddy. Just mention that you are being referred from the CX-5 web site.

support@sumaperformance.com

I sent an email to Suma letting them know I'd be a customer if they develop a tinted mirror that's able to accommodate both the heat & blind spot monitor features of the oem mirror.

I received a reply from Eddy and he can produce mirrors that have the features I posted above but he needs to gauge demand before development. If this upgrade is something you would be interested in post it here.

Eddy is aware of this thread but is unsure if vendors are welcome to post so he’s staying on the sidelines.

Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Heated Mirrors are not a problem I have those features on my MX-5 and they work perfectly.

One thing that I didn't mention in my original post is that these mirrors absolutely cut the glare from other vehicles headlights better than OEM and considering both sides are convex, that's saying a lot. The automatic dimming that is on some of our vehicle's driver's side mirrors can't hold a candle to these. No pun intended.

Typically, convex mirrors aren't that great at night, especially with a lot of traffic around but not so with these. What I mean is that they don't distort like even the OEM, passenger side mirror can do after dark with a lot of bright lights behind and all around you. The convex can often cause confusion as to where the bright lights behind you are, exactly.

It has to do with the blue hue of these mirrors and just the right amount of convex. All I can say is, once they are experienced in actual driving conditions, nothing else will do. I believe these should come on all vehicles. I'm sure Eddy wouldn't mind supplying them either.:)

He said that in order for this to work for him, he would have to have at least 15 prepaids which isn't bad considering what's involved for him. Of course, this number may be subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances that are always possible in the industrial and business worlds.

However, they do have a fair amount of experience supplying these to other brands of vehicles so they should have the system down pat by now.

Eddy has a good reputation with us over on the MX-5 Miata Website due to his firm belief in not only offering quality products but excellent service after the sale as well. Any questions or concerns we may have had were taken care of quickly and satisfactorily.

When he first introduced these to the MX-5 web sites, the same requirements had to be applied. In the end, everything went off without a hitch. All of us who were prepaid had to wait for a short while but the wait was more than worth it.

As I stated in my original post, I will get nothing out of this except for a much happier wife as she is the primary driver of our 2018 CX-5. I'm behind the wheel of it about 35% to 40% of the time so I will be much happier too.

After driving the MX-5 and then getting behind the wheel of the CX-5, I really notice the difference. I have a spot convex mirror on the driver's side of my MX-5 and there is no comparison as to how well these Suma Performance Mirrors work. I really do want to remove "Spot" and throw him away.

By the way, I want to say one more thing regarding having efficient convex mirrors on both sides. It seems as though since the Covid shut-downs and how this has affected society in general, drivers seem to be taking more chances regarding speed and making risky maneuvers through traffic recklessly.

In spite of the fact that there is less traffic on the highways these last few months, fatalities are up. By what percentage, I don't know but the main cause is speed and more alcohol related crashes. I hesitate to call an alcohol caused crash an accident. There is nothing accidental about drinking and driving.. I am just quoting an Arizona State Trooper that I know regarding the uptick of vehicular deaths and or homicides.

These mirrors, being convex on both left and right sides, but not to a degree that causes distortion or confusion at night, are more important now than ever. We really do need eyes in the backs of our heads to avoid some of the lunatics out there.

If anyone is reading this who hasn't checked out the Suma Performance Mirrors website, I urge you to do so, if for no other reason than curiosity. Anytime I hear of a new invention or device that makes driving safer, my curiosity is always piqued.

It's a wacky, wacky world out there. :)

Last edited:
@David Paul

He said that in order for this to work for him, he would have to have at least 15 prepaids which isn't bad considering what's involved for him. Of course, this number may be subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances that are always possible in the industrial and business worlds.

However, they do have a fair amount of experience supplying these to other brands of vehicles so they should have the system down pat by now.

Eddy has a good reputation with us over on the MX-5 Miata Website due to his firm belief in not only offering quality products but excellent service after the sale as well. Any questions or concerns we may have had were taken care of quickly and satisfactorily.

Is there a process or method to "get on the list"? To pre-pay? A group buy of sorts?

Eddy from Suma - please refer to this page for more information about becoming an Authorized Vendor.

Otherwise, please feel free to join the site as a member!

I would personally be interested in a set (and would be willing to prepay). It appears that the part number for the door mirror glass (w/ blind spot, w/ heater) on the CX-5 is the same for the CX-9 (P/N TK71691G1). So count me in!

@David Paul, since the P/Ns for the CX-5 and the CX-9 are the same, I'll post a link in the CX-9 subforum to see if any other members would be willing to participate.

Last edited:
will these replacement mirrors fix the mirror vibration that plagues first gen cx-5s? you ccant recognize anything ablve 60mph from the driver’s side mirror

I doubt that the first gen mirror glass is the same shape as what is on the 2017+ model CX-5 and CX-9. But, I may be wrong. I hope I am.:)

You can compare part numbers to find out.

However, if you are having a shaking problem with one of your outside rearview mirrors, I feel relatively sure it has nothing to do with the glass and everything to do with the mechanism inside the mirror housing.

The Suma Performance Mirror only consists of the glass and the backing plate that attaches to the moving mechanism, not the entire moving mechanism inside the housing.

If your mirror is vibrating, perhaps the glass is loose. Can you wiggle it with your fingers?

Or, perhaps your tires are out of balance. Tire balance problems show up around 55 to 60 mph., depending on the tire size and weight of the vehicle.

Balance problems are usually not detectable at low speeds and at very high speeds, the out of balance tire, or tires, begin to float which is a dangerous condition but because of the floating, the ride appears to get smoother.

Are your tires wearing evenly? If not, that is another sign that the tires could be out of balance.

So many possibilities, so little time. :(

Last edited:
1. David Paul
2. sm1ke
3. Mantra 7
4. CX5_Driver
5. ilal2ielli
6. CRAYONSEED

Anyone who is a part of the CX-5 and CX-9 Facebook groups should also voice their interest (or create a post within their respective groups).

Got this inquiry in the thread from the CX-9 sub:

Does anyone know if these are spherical or aspherical? Spherical mirrors make everything look smaller. Correctly made aspherical mirrors show closer targets as larger, farther away targets are smaller, and greatly increase the width of the view. The now-closed company Multivex made great aspherical mirrors...let's hope someone is again producing such mirrors.

For ALL Suma Performance Mirror Inquires, Info Regarding Pre-Paids, Etc.....

I think it would be best to contact Eddy at the following address. Be sure to tell him you are a member of the Mazda247 forum.

support@sumaperformance.com

Since this is his business, he is the one who is best equipped to organize this buy.

Keeping as few middle men/women out of this potential sale will make this process so much more efficient.

It might also be a good idea if you leave your name and email address with him so that he can inform us individually as to the status of availability and pricing. Also, you can include in your post to him any questions you have about the products.

Right now, it's just a matter of getting enough of us to commit, which is the most important first step. Again, This should be in the hands of Eddy since he is the one who is going to make arrangements for manufacturing.

Latest posts

Back