Strut Mount Position - Proper HELP

Bc-386

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I just replaced all four struts, mounts, springs, bumpers, end links, sway bar bushings, etc. The strut and spring kit claimed to lower the car 1.3 inches. Everything assembled well and the car is smooth, quite and looks good.

BUT my steering is not right now. My steering wheel is pointing in the 2-3 o'clock position when i drove it down the street to test it. It looks kinda like the right wheel is pointing outward while the left wheel is straight.

Do you think this is because i didnt position the strut mount properly? My new mounts didnt come with indicators, but i painted a dot in the same location (i think) as the old mount.

I read, that the strut mounts might need to be in a different position if the car is lowered???

By rotating the mount, you only gain +/- .5 (maybe only .3) degrees of camber if I remember correctly. That's the official FSM way to adjust the front camber.

the combination of the new struts and lowering the car will put the alignment out. just take it to a shop and have them do an alignment on it. just watch out and make sure they don't try to rip you off and say a bunch of stuff is wrong with it. AT MOST YOUR TIE ROD ENDS NEED REPLACED. i know mos shops are actually decent and don't try to pull this kind of stuff but there's always that one shop who does.

That is a relief. Thank you for the advice. I actually have brand new tie rod ends that i have been sitting on for awhile. I might just install them before i take the car to get a alignment.

thank you for the replies

Finally got the alignment completed. It is perfect, drives straight and the steering wheel is now straight.

I bought Stagg complete suspension kit because i was on budget. It came with struts and lowering springs. It cost $309 for the whole kit. And WOW it is so much better than I expected. Definitely a good strut/spring combo for the money. The car steers and handles like it new.

Back