Strange noise after new tires

Yes, it sounds like it could be a backing plate. I accidentally bent a backing plate once when I was swapping tires on my 2012 Mazda3, resulting in a similar sound. I brought it in for service thinking it was something more serious. The repair bill was about $30 (that was 10 years ago).

Mazda says it expired yesterday.
If I remember it correctly, the warranty ends the end of the purchase month. So if you bought the CX-5 in May 2019, the power train warranty should end on 5/31/2024. Call MNAO to verify.

Update:
My wife drove the highway today, no change. Engaged and released parking brake multiple times. No change. She took it back to tire dealer, they were very helpful. No damage to backing plate, everything looked okay. The swap front to rear, and she thinks the sound has disappeared. We will drive it tonight after traffic dies down, hopefully just something flukey with the tires/wheels.

I’ll keep you posted, and thanks once again for all your help.

We love this car, plan to drive it to AZ in the fall and leave there to replace our Honda Element (another great vehicle), and get another CX 5 when we return to the Midwest in the spring of 2025.

First, I think you need to isolate the problem. Is it the tire, or the car?
To do that, get a set of tires/wheels and swap them on. See if the problem remains.
If yes, it is not the tire. Otherwise, it is the tire.

You can then go from there.
It should be easy for dealer to do this since they have many sets of wheel/tires around.
If they really want to help you find the issue.

First, I think you need to isolate the problem. Is it the tire, or the car?
To do that, get a set of tires/wheels and swap them on. See if the problem remains.
If yes, it is not the tire. Otherwise, it is the tire.

You can then go from there.
It should be easy for dealer to do this since they have many sets of wheel/tires around.
If they really want to help you find the issue.
We didn't have a chance to test drive in the quiet tonight, but I think it's in the tires/wheels. The sound lessened/disappeared when the tires were swapped front to back. I haven't driven it yet. Tomorrow morning, hopefully.

Noises are tough to track down. I used to ride bicycles in a friendly/competitive scene. You think a noise is coming from one place, and it's totally coming from where you didn't expect.

Once again, thank you all for ideas.

I'll know more tomorrow.

Well, my wife drove all over town today, and ever seems fine. No idea what was going on, but it had to be tires/wheels. Switching them around did the trick.

Thanks once again for all the help.

Well, my wife drove all over town today, and ever seems fine. No idea what was going on, but it had to be tires/wheels. Switching them around did the trick.

Thanks once again for all the help.
Which means it might return after a rotation.

You should probably get your tires checked then. It could well be a delamination inside the tire(s) - which should be covered under the tire's warranty, if you act fast enough. If it IS a delam, your tire could come apart while driving at speed on the highway. Not pretty.

You should probably get your tires checked then. It could well be a delamination inside the tire(s) - which should be covered under the tire's warranty, if you act fast enough. If it IS a delam, your tire could come apart while driving at speed on the highway. Not pretty.
Highly doubtful, the tires are new and no reports of that on these tires.

Highly doubtful, the tires are new and no reports of that on these tires.
Tires can have manufacturing defects (just like anything else). And just because you found 'no reports' doesn't mean it hasn't happened to you.

Back