Straight pipe anyone?

ToNeZ90

:
2010 Mazda 3 Base Sedan
So my friend, who is a car enthusiast and his friends aswell, suggested to me that I should try to get just a straight pipe from the headers all the way to the tip. instead of a cat back.

He suggested this because he has had a few friends do the same on their cars at a shop nearby for drit cheap and they do all the mendrel bending right there when u bring in the car along with the choosing of diameter aswell.

One was a GTI and idk what the other one is. It sounds really nice, but I'm wondering if its just the motor type cuz its a turbo engine. You can even hear the turbo spooling up louder through the exhaust.

Has anyone on here done a straight pipe no cats, or muffler? And if so would u recomend it? Anyone else is able to have a word in this since i am pretty sure its a rare customization.

Thanks

Eh, I wouldn't say it's a "rare" customization. There are several companies out there that sell turboback exhausts without the cats, and catless midpipes as well. You will definitely get a lot more noise, and good luck with emissions if you have to meet that requirement where you are. Your car will stink, since there are no cats to filter anything, so just consider the pros and cons. It definitely adds to the power as there is nothing in your way (cats).

oh trust me this is straight up death trap if a cop catches me like this on the road lol but its basically one huge madrel bend pipe under the car. if i do i was at least thinking of putting a high flow cat if i go through with it so it muffles some of the sound out.

LOL I have the high-flow cat on mine. And yeah, same here.. thank God I don't have to worry about emissions.. my car definitely would fail miserably. (yes)

I know a guy that had an MP3 with a 2.5" or 3" straight pipe exhaust, loud as hell, you couldn't even hear the other person talk in the car, despite that you were sitting side by side. Plus the drone gave me a headache most of the time if you sat in the back. I think the turbo lowers the loudness, without it, people will be able to hear you 1/2 mile away.. seriously.

oh trust me this is straight up death trap if a cop catches me like this on the road lol but its basically one huge madrel bend pipe under the car. if i do i was at least thinking of putting a high flow cat if i go through with it so it muffles some of the sound out.

LOL I have the high-flow cat on mine. And yeah, same here.. thank God I don't have to worry about emissions.. my car definitely would fail miserably. (yes)

I know a guy that had an MP3 with a 2.5" or 3" straight pipe exhaust, loud as hell, you couldn't even hear the other person talk in the car, despite that you were sitting side by side. Plus the drone gave me a headache most of the time if you sat in the back. I think the turbo lowers the loudness, without it, people will be able to hear you 1/2 mile away.. seriously.

alright i guess this is ruled out then lol i kinda wanna hear my gf talking....most of the time HA!

still if anyone had a sound clip or something of a setup like this it would be pretty interesting to know how it sounds.

it wouldnt be wroth it on these cars. if anything it would be good for hondas (vtec), v6s and v8s. i know some people say you need back pressure while others say you dont. all i know is that the gain would be minimal but the noise would be loud as hell. maybe if you were turboed and shooting good HP numbers yea maybe, but for n/a it just shouldnt be done

not only does it loud as hell, but it also loses the power at low rpm if your car is not powerful enough. I have the high flow header, midpipe, the muffler. It's really lound when rpm goes over 3000rpm. You can hear it from far far far away. The only benefit you get is higher rpm power.

I have a straight pipe going all the way back through a high-flo cat and mine sounds very nice. It's not all that "ricey" of a sound that some aftermarket mufflers will give you. It actually has a nice firm sound from my P5.

If your going to do it, just do it right where you don't lose the required level of backpressure that is needed.

i have an obx header and just recently cut out my 2nd cat and replaced it with a straight pipe. the whole exhaust is stock except for the mazdaspeed axle-back. it sounds really good IMO, but again, i do have the stock resonators and piping

I have a straight pipe going all the way back through a high-flo cat and mine sounds very nice. It's not all that "ricey" of a sound that some aftermarket mufflers will give you. It actually has a nice firm sound from my P5.

If your going to do it, just do it right where you don't lose the required level of backpressure that is needed.

is the straight pipe from the hi flow cat to the tip or from headers to the tip with a high flow cat inserted for the midpipe section?

i had obx header to a 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes with 2 resonators and a vibrant muffler...that s*** was loouuuuddd!!!! dont do it unless you plan on going turbo... i put my stock header back on and it sounds great

is the straight pipe from the hi flow cat to the tip or from headers to the tip with a high flow cat inserted for the midpipe section?

I have the pipe from my headers going back and connecting to my high flo cat in the middle and another straight pipe from my cat, all the way back. it sounds nice, i'll have to record it for you to hear. It's nothing short of bliss in my own opinion.

(breakn) (nana)

my old set-up was loud as hell...too loud, imo. i couldn't hear my radio at times.

header - magnaflow resonator - exhaust exited in front of passenger side rear tire. (my old mp3)

i think you should go catless with a nice, quiet (racing beat) catback. you'll get the best of both worlds...more power without it being too loud.

Pro5Turbo: that clip would be very much appreciated if u can post one.

Topher: your suggestion about the catless racing beat actually sounds like a good way to go.

I do plan on turboing but not for another 1 1/2 yrs lol College Student Funds arent really high for me when i'm only making 100 a week....(burn) But it should only cost me under 4k with the connecions my friends have ;)

BONK!

lol ok quick question off topic. what's the name that the pro5 can be called aswell? MP3 right? or MP5? i'm trying to buy a part and they dont have a specific protege5 section. just MP3 MP5 MPS and protege.

ok so I had recorded what my exhaust sounds like. Granted it's on my Iphone, so hopefully it will do it justice. I'll have to listen to it when I get home and pull it off my phone with Itunes and post it for you to hear.

ok so I had recorded what my exhaust sounds like. Granted it's on my Iphone, so hopefully it will do it justice. I'll have to listen to it when I get home and pull it off my phone with Itunes and post it for you to hear.

sweet. your timing couldnt be any better cuz i got enough to buy an exhaust system in like a week or 2 lol

!! Oh yeah it does it justice. With the barrage of family that has recently came into town, i've yet to get a solid time to sit at my computer and rip this audio for you, but dude it sounds awesome when I plug my headphones into my phone to listen to it. You can also hear my cold air intake suck in air LOL - quite sexy in my own opinion.

I think this is definitely the way to go for you. I'll be ignoring my family tonight. Consider it posted tonight!

Back