Steering wheel peeling?

BWJ

:
CX-60 Takumi
Do any of you have problems with the coating on the steering wheel peeling off, probably due to hand alcohol? :(

CX5 2020

Aside from a few minor scratches caused by my wife, the steering wheel in my 2018 CX-9 is perfectly fine. I park in the sun all day, and I have been using hand sanitizer regularly. Maybe it can be replaced under warranty?

Aside from a few minor scratches caused by my wife, the steering wheel in my 2018 CX-9 is perfectly fine. I park in the sun all day, and I have been using hand sanitizer regularly. Maybe it can be replaced under warranty?
The dealer have contact to Mazda DK, i think (hope) it will be replaced under warranty.

UPDATE, steering wheel was replaced under warranty :)

Last edited:
Here you go.

Attachments

• DSC_1876~2.JPG
    DSC_1876~2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 190
Here you go.
Sadly, that is a common area in many vehicles that deteriorates the fastest both because of hand and that the sun exposes that area during most parked situations. I suggest getting a leather cover before the damage continues to get worse. Cross your fingers that MAZDA may do a one time curtesy replacement.

To prevent w/o cover, clean often and treat it with leather protectant.
And sunshade in summer to reduce exposure to direct sunlight.
The steering wheel leather of my '98 BMW cracked like this....
1655314466272.png

To prevent w/o cover, clean often and treat it with leather protectant.
And sunshade in summer to reduce exposure to direct sunlight.
The steering wheel leather of my '98 BMW cracked like this....
View attachment 310778
I liked the recommendation to treat regularly but unfortunately can not prevent it unless it is covered. Even the BEST leather treatments on the market will not stop leather cracking and fading on a steering wheel exposed to sun light.

Time to go to a junkyard pick up a replacement one. And if you live in an area that really hot put up a sun screen. And yes to using leather protectant. Just go light so it doesn’t make the steering wheel slippery.

Good quality leather treatment will not make the leather slippery.

Auto Dismantlers (junk yards lol) prices are not bad but a last resort if the steering wheel has deteriorated to the point of large material falling out. In most all cases regarding a leather steering wheel a high-quality custom fit that you strict or lace up will do the trick/repair very nicely!

The first thing I always do is get a leather cover for my steering wheels.

This was the first of 3 covers over 3 years owning the MAZDA new.
They last about a year because of some slight sun and heat deterioration and that is with a 90% garaged kept .

Attachments

• 20171127-160050-resizeno-red.jpg
    20171127-160050-resizeno-red.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 178
This doesn't help with your damaged steering wheel, but I think my wheel is still in decent condition because of the windshield and front window tint I had installed. It provides additional UV rejection (above what the OEM windshield already provides) which can dry out your steering wheel, making it more likely to become damaged. Now that I think about it, my wife's 2006 Honda Civic steering wheel has had this type of damage, ever since I met her in 2010. I never really paid attention to it because I just bought her a cheap steering wheel cover once I noticed the damage. Her car has never been tinted.

I also do a periodical interior wipe down with 303 Aerospace Protectant. It has UV blocking properties, but I apply it sparingly on the steering wheel because it does leave it feeling much smoother afterward.

sm1ke....just poking fun attacha but your tint on the front windshield if it is legal only goes down 3-5inches best? So unless you tinted your complete windshield the EARTH does revolve around the sun and the sun is not always at the gun slinging high noon position. 😝

303 Aerospace Protectant is a "ok" product. But I hate paying for anything that the highest volume ingredient is plain old fashion H20. It is not even distilled water at that?

sm1ke....just poking fun attacha but your tint on the front windshield if it is legal only goes down 3-5inches best? So unless you tinted your complete windshield the EARTH does revolve around the sun and the sun is not always at the gun slinging high noon position. 😝

303 Aerospace Protectant is a "ok" product. But I hate paying for anything that the highest volume ingredient is plain old fashion H20. It is not even distilled water at that?

The entire front windshield and both front windows are tinted with a ceramic film. Front windshield is something like 85% VLT and the side windows are around 50% if I remember right.

A lot of products are like that (highest volume ingredient is H20). If you have a different product you'd recommend, what would that be?

Hand sanitizer is usually ~90% alcohol and that will take any oil out of leather and cause cracking. Wear gloves or wipe hands clean after the application..

The entire front windshield and both front windows are tinted with a ceramic film. Front windshield is something like 85% VLT and the side windows are around 50% if I remember right.

A lot of products are like that (highest volume ingredient is H20). If you have a different product you'd recommend, what would that be?
I should have looked that you live in Canada. It was a big controversy about 12 years ago. The one thought was tinting the complete window may cause the design safety feature to fail in an accident. Windshield glass is constructed differently than the rest of the glass on vehicles. The other is that at some angles you can see the people inside the vehicle clearly. IDK.. I have one car that I did it completely to and most others the standard eye brow tint at the top of the windshield.

I use mostly Protect-It products. They are specifically for professional car washes and detail shops. They work very well for me.

For the leather and just about anything else I use
As far as I am aware their is no petroleum or alcohol if there is any water it is so low that it is not even mentioned unless they are calling water proprietary ingredient? :LOL:

DRESS-IT LEATHER​

Protect-It Car Care’s Dress-It “Leather” penetrates deep into the leather to condition and protect leather from drying, cracking and aging while restoring the fresh smell of leather. Renew-It Leather is pH balanced, rich in lanolin and mink oil and contains a UV protectant to help block damaging UV rays.

Still old school and used Armor all on last vehicle. But there are probably alot better products out there now.

How long have you used Protect-it on a car and what were results after how many years use?

Anyone else have any suggestions for best protectant of dash and steering wheel ?

Jack....20 + years . With Protect-it products. I am a partial owner of a detail shop and they use predominantly Protect -it products.
I occasionally still use Armour all on some things. I carried That product in my various shops dating back to the late 70's. But I don't really use it on anything interior I currently own.

As for dash I really suggest a good old fashion DASH COVER. Carpet and black. Not only will it protect the dash but also improve the visibility out the windshield.

I had the same issue when I first got my car as I was using alcohol wipes to clean the steering wheel and it ended up causing the peeling effect. It got replaced under warranty and they replaced my steering wheel with something that looks a bit aftermarket. The color wasn't as glossy and it seemed more like a matte finish. After the replacement steering wheel, I purchased a wheel skins cover and I have been using it ever since. It's definitely worth the investment if you are willing to do the steering whel cover stitching yourself and the leather is very high quality.

https://wheelskins.com/original

Back