Starter Issue

Tetsubo

Contributor
:
2013 MS3 w/ Tech
I was having problems with the car starting right before I replaced my water pump and tensioner + idler.

The car ran great after the fix for awhile, but now it is having an issue turning over. The car as thrown 2 codes at me, P0140 and P0325. The car sometimes turns on the first turn of the key and sometimes never does unless I put her in Neutral and rock or push her a bit. When I turn the key most of the time I just get a click...

Going to get under the car and check it out. Possible take the starter off and go have it checked tomorrow.

In the mean time I am trying to gather so addition information.

I'd check the voltage at the battery,... If it's down the starter won't kick in.

P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank I or Single Sensor)

Last edited:
Check connection at the battery and starter, if they are good check the voltage at the starter ( make sure it is in a stable position) and see what the voltage is when it clicks.

Tensioner and idler are used with the timing belt. You said the car ran afterwards but how well? Maybe off a tooth on the camgears and valve timing?.Have you been turning it over endlessly without startup?

The battery is basically new, under 6 months old. All of my aux power kicks ons, about to get to it though. From my understanding, I set up my timing to default petty damn well. When she was having problems starting the cold never helped.

Check connection at the battery and starter, if they are good check the voltage at the starter ( make sure it is in a stable position) and see what the voltage is when it clicks.

I'm agreeing with tweety,... if there is some sort of charging problem it can wreck a good battery in no time. If you get proper voltage at the starter with the key on then I think it's pretty safe to say that the problem is the starter itself.

(a bad battery can still read good volts,... until it's under load from a starter's high current demand)

Ok, some additional information. Battery and starter were reading btw 12 and 13volts, the car seems to like to start up with the ac switch on.

Well,... if you're getting 12-13 Volts at the starter under load,... Then I'm almost sure the starter is gone (either the solenoid for it or the brushes of the motor are shot),... So,... do you hear a click right at the starter but it just isn't turning on and spinning ??

What is the difference between starting up and not starting up,... Is the engine turning over but not catching and running or do you turn the key, hear a click but the engine won't turn over or even try??

I'm having a hard time seeing how the codes fit in with the starter issue, they may be a separate issue. I would just reset the codes when you get your starter figured out then see if they come back.

Last edited:
Just a click when I turn the key, 0 attempt at turning. Turn the key with the ac switch on it seems to attempt to turn over then. Attempting to take the starter off now.

Yea that's what i'd do,... I'm 98% sure that you've isolated the starter as your problem,... it's just being fussy while on its last legs deciding on whether to go or not.

I've never done it but they sure make it look simple in the service manual. Two wires three bolts and its out ?? I dunno

STARTER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

Warning
• When the battery cables are connected, touching the vehicle body with starter terminal B will
generate sparks. This can cause personal injury, fire, and damage to the electrical components.
Always disconnect the battery before performing the following operation.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Remove the intake manifold bracket.
4. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
5. Install in the reverse order of removal.

1 Terminal B wire
2 Terminal S wire
3 Starter

Last edited:
looking at the same diagram... cant figure out how to get to the 2 bolts on the oppisite side of the starter.

Lift the car up on a hoist.

Or if you really need to remove the intake manifold. By doing that you will add 2 Hours to the job.

Alright, I was able to get it off. Going to take it to autozone or one of the auto chains to test it and most likely get a new one.

Took the starter to autozone and they tested it for me... guy there told me it was fine. Ended up buying a new one got it on. The Pro5 started right up no problems. I will driver her around a bit and see if the codes resurface.

Yea,... but with the trouble shooting he did, he had the confidence to buy a new starter even though the old one tested good. Then he'd have to starter all over again. (see what I did there)

Latest posts

Back