New PCM, Strange Issue - Turns over, no start - Flickering lights

Hello Everyone!
I have had a heck of a time with my Protege, ultimately it was the PCM as when the car went into closed loop it would run rough with no power. Replaced it and had it programmed, but now when I turn the key to the ON position, the normal cluster lights come on, but the check engine and battery lights flicker bad and the egr valve is clicking at the same frequency. It will turn over but does not start.

Any ideas?

Check any electrical connections you touched. keep it simple. start with the battery. check the pcm and the plugs for little green crusties. Re seat the connectors a few times if no evidence of corrosion is there.

I actually did conclude that the new PCM is faulty and is rapid cycling on and off. No communication can be established with the PCM due to this. When I contacted the programmer, they first asked me if I had the keys programmed, which my Protege does not have a PATS system with a transponder. I am guessing they may have assumed it had PATS and programmed it to work with a transponder, and when the PCM is unable to find the transponder at all, it shuts off and cycles back on in attempt to find it once more.

I was able to put the old PCM back in and it started right up but still has its own issue of overheating and then causing the engine to run terribly.

I am currently awaiting a response to my RMA request with the manufacture/programmer.

Back