Start problem

Jesus-11

:
Mazda, Protege 5, 2003
Hi I have a mazda protege5 2003 and some times won't start on park but when i change to neutral start normally. I already changed the neutral safety switch but still doing the same.

Does it make a click sound when you turn the key? I have a similar problem with mine. Sometimes when i turn it on the P does not have the square around it and the car wont start, and i have to put the shifter in neutral then back up to park for it to engage. Sometime it wont engage at all and i have to start it in neutral. Has only just started doing it. Think this heat wave we are having in New England has something to do with it.

If you have an automatic transmission,... you may need to adjust your TR switch.

TRswitch_zps7387afd1.jpg

I'm a little confused,... only the manual transmissions have a neutral switch,... the automatics have a Transaxle Range Switch. So did you replace the TR switch ???

If you have a new TR switch installed,.. then you probably have a bad connection or broken wire from the switch to the ECU.

My car is automatic and don't throw any code. You don't know any form for adjustment the selector cable because the problem is there.

This is the info on adjusting the shift mechanism,... but I think it just adjusts the pointer for gear position??? (my car is a standard)

shiftmech1_zpsf91b8559.jpg

This is the schematic for the TR switch,... the switch needs to register P/N (park or neutral) before the starter motor is allowed to engage.
I'm thinking your switch is out of adjustment or a bad switch.

TRswitch2_zpsac846035.jpg

Do you have a new T/R switch ??? Was it properly adjusted ???

Here's the full info on adjusting the T/R switch. You'll need an ohmeter.

TRswitch_zps7387afd1.jpg

TRswitch3_zpsb534adb3.jpg

When the car wont't start on park, i move the part selected on the picture a little to the right and the car detects that is in park.

2mdpd76.jpg

So does that mean the car will start when you move it ??? If so, loosen the two mounting bolts and rotate the switch a bit then re-tighten the bolts.

Your cable may have stretched over time, throwing your T/R switch out of adjustment.

Follow the directions for adjustment starting with N so that all the gears including P are in alignment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back