squeeking while idling

:
2003 Mazda Protege
lately ive noticed a squeaking noise whenever the car is idling, regardless of whether im moving or at a stop. lately its gotten more constant and its really starting to bug me lol

any ideas or feedback are appreciated

does it sound like a belt? Mine is doing it also, but I dont think mines a belt. I changed both belts about 2 months ago.

if it's squealing, then it's 95% of the time the belts, and:

a) they need to be changed
or
b) they need to be tightened (this is usually the culprit)

not the belts, cause wouldn't they squeak all the time?

not not necessarily, if your belts are not tight, they will mostly squeak:

-when the engine is not warmed up
-when it is cold outside (usually under 40*F)
-when you are at idle/low rpms
-when you have a lot of accessories on

...that's all that i can think of for now.
does that help?

also check the shifter... if the shifter moves a lil when it start squeaking and if it does hold it and check if the squeaking stops this happen to my car like a week ago and i greased it and it stop the squeaking and it that is not the problem take it to a mechanic fast and get that checked up!!!

My belts do the same...I dunno if this happens to all the Proteges but it seems to happen to quite a few people. I had mine replace last January and the following week the began to squeak. I had them tightened and it did not happen again; not for the spring, nor the summer....but the cold hits again. So I lost one of my belts last week and had to get a new one and get it installed for about $100. :(

It appears the cold makes them squeaky? It really annoys me too..so I usually let the car warm up for about 5 mins and it goes away. Also, I noticed that it happens when I have the heater and headlights on...it seems to drain more power that way. I have not put any belt conditioner cause I heard from a mechanic I know not to put anything there. Oh well...any tips?

Almost certainly a belt. And it could be the timing belt or the accessory belt.

If you've never had a belt replaced and your car has 60k+ miles, that's almost certainly a belt.

A belt can squeak no matter how cold or new it is. After I had mine replaced, it squeaked because they didn't have it tight enough. A belt shouldn't squeak JUST because it's cold.

If it's an old belt, get it replaced though. It can damage the engine if it breaks while the engine's running.

I'm not sure why, but I've heard that a constant squeaking sound can also mean that the water pump is about ready to give up the ghost. But don't quote me on that :)

your alt belt is a lot harder to get to than the pwr steering one is,
my car going to the shop for a new fuel pump (the car won't even start...)

...so i'll take some pics and post em up in the next few days!

What about if my car squeaks during drive and reverse, but not in idle or neutral. I have pinpointed the sound to be coming from the belt area, but is it unusual that this would happen in reverse and drive, but not in idle?

i got the same prob...I thought I was tightening the belt connected to the alt..but for some reason the other belt got tighter.

Back